Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Besides the engineering, what makes Porsche so special

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 10:19 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Matt-

Yeah Im ready. I'll retry and take photos as far as I can get. Then I will need help. Remember, whatever help you give, dumb it down to the absolute lowest possible denominator.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Greg86andahalf
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Donberry,
Besides the engineering, what makes Porsche so special ?

As luck would have it, I sort of fell into owning a Porsche. My plans were to resell the car and make some money, but after driving it a few days, I decided I can not part with it
I think you answered your own question!
Old 03-08-2004, 10:34 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Surprised no one has posted the infamous line - Porsche........there is NO substitute!
Old 03-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a sidenote to all the great comments, you may laugh, but besides the engineering, our Porsches have a distinct smell that is impossible to find in any other car.

It's like catching a whiff of a perfume an old girlfriend use to wear. Once you're behind the wheel it overcomes you and you're back in the '80s, perhaps with some pop group like Duran Duran or Men at Work blasting in the cassette deck and ready for a unique driving experience in a very well made car for the money.

David is an asset to this community, as you've already noticed.

Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 03-08-2004, 11:03 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Hey Luis-

Uhh, hey buddy. What kind of smell you talkin' bout' chief, because my car smells like all my others. (no unique smell).

You smokin' something we oughta know about?
Old 03-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UD - whenever you are ready post some pics and we will get it handled, no problem.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:30 AM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I definitely have to say it is a love hate relationship with my Porsche. The styling is still great after 18 years. The handling and power are the best I've ever owned and the price is rediculously low compared to newer 'comparable' cars. The problem with the whole thing is that I've become compulsive about every little flaw I find. A new rattle or something stops working correctly. I expect perfection from the car and often my expectations are too high. Today it's love. Tomorrow when the hatch rattles or the cruise accelerates to hyper-space then I'll curse it for awhile.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:17 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Luis de Prat

David is an asset to this community, as you've already noticed.
Thank Luis,

I have been helped many times by Rennlisters, so I am just passing the help along.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:59 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Besides the engineering, what makes Porsche so special

Originally posted by donberry
As luck would have it, I sort of fell into owning a Porsche. My plans were to resell the car and make some money, but after driving it a few days, I decided I can not part with it . Always admiring Porsche's but never owning one, I now also admire Porsche owners. Asking around for info on my new to me 928, turns out David Floyd owns a 944 and lives in same town.
I second your opinion about Porsche's irrisistable attraction. I hardly have any time at all to play with mine. But selling it is not an option - my wife will not allow it

You're right we do have a great bunch of dedicated and helpful people. Enjoy your newly 928!
Old 03-09-2004, 12:04 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GOBOGIE
I don't know about the whole PCA thing. The guys in my local club are OK, but they are definately sticks in the mud
I second the above opinion. With Porsche on a witch hunt for anyone using their name for anything. I don't see PCA as anything other than a conduit for their own business advertisements. I got better things to do with my money.

Quick Reply: Besides the engineering, what makes Porsche so special