Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Besides the engineering, what makes Porsche so special

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 02:07 PM
donberry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Besides the engineering, what makes Porsche so special

As luck would have it, I sort of fell into owning a Porsche. My plans were to resell the car and make some money, but after driving it a few days, I decided I can not part with it . Always admiring Porsche's but never owning one, I now also admire Porsche owners.
Asking around for info on my new to me 928, turns out David Floyd owns a 944 and lives in same town.
I just want to say how helpful this site has been and especially David. Reminds me of when I 1st started riding my motorcycle and how everyone was so helpful. Same with the Porsche. Everyone has been great, answered my stupid questions and pointed me in the right direction.
David even loaded me down with many Porsche mags and a Crest I needed for my engine (even included the adhesive)
So, many thanks to all Porsche owners for being so helpful to us new ignorant owners. Makes me even more proud to be driving a Porsche.

btw - check out David's car if you haven't all ready......tis one nice car and makes me want to add a 944 to my new one car collection. Am anxious for him to get it on the dyno.

David - if u ever need a spare hand, give me a call. Would love to help even if it is just handing you tools....
Old 03-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to see these kinds of posts!!!

Old 03-08-2004, 02:14 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, one of the best things with owning a Porsche is the friendship with other owners.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I completley agree about the perks of Porsche ownership. I sort of just fell into ownership also, i was originally looking for a GTi or 5.0 Mustang to suit my 'fast and the furious' car craze. Owning the Porsche has been nothing short of a great experience. I dont think thier are many other car owners that wave at you as you pass them on the road! Also thier is not other car in my opinion that has such a helpful community available. Recently i have been looking around for Honda Civic based forums (just got one) and all except for one that comes close (JDMCivic.Com) have been a bunch of ignorant fools who are posting just to raise thier post count.

Though i am likley selling my 924S, it certainly will not be my last p-car!
Old 03-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

donberry:
If you haven't yet, join Porsche Club of America. While they differ region to region, I can tell you that based on my involvement with the NNJR (North NJ region), PCA is an awesome club!

Congrats on your purchase, and I'm happy to hear that the Porsche community has been responsive to you. (Just stay away from the 911 guys! Just kidding...)
-Z.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:41 PM
'88-924S
Racer

I feel the same way. I think that great engineering takes into account the human element and response, making a machine an extension of one's body. Rennlist is a great place to be!!
Old 03-08-2004, 05:04 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

A toast to Rennlist!
Old 03-08-2004, 05:10 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

I have been well recieved by most as well. I also have yet to find any car-based forum to even come close to Rennlist. The topics, the discussions, the debates and arguements... it all makes it worth while. I have recieved info and friendship from so many members, I'm never leaving!

...and I don't even own one yet!! Michelle, and everyone else, *clink*
Old 03-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

to agree with the rennlist posts, good friends with very knowledgeable information prove to be the best bet in owning these cars, also making good friends with your mechanic doesn't hurt too.

Andy
Old 03-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

The community is a HUGE bonus to owning any of these cars. I actually use it as a reason to KEEP BUYING PORSCHES!

I came up with another notion around owning these cars recently. I was sitting at a stop light and looked over at a rather well used, not well-cared-for piece of American rolling crap. (Sorry not a fan of US desinged cars).

But the thought struck me, that even THAT car was new once and the owner must have felt proud and thrilled to have a new car. It's gotta be at least a bit of a buzz for just about everyone to walk out to their new ride each morning - if only for a few weeks.

Then it struck me - I get that "new car" feeling EVERY DAY from owning a Porsche - even though it's 14 years old and I've had it for 6 mos!

RK
Old 03-08-2004, 05:29 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dito, RK!

I still look at the car sitting in the garage, or parked on a street, and think "wow, what a cool looking car!", even though it's my second 944! And I still smile to myself knowing I own a Porsche. Almost EVERY car review I've seen for an American car have "well, it's NOT a Porsche...." in there somewhere!

Gotta love that in a sub $10k 15 year old car!
Old 03-08-2004, 06:04 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to help Don,

It is nice to have a Porsche/Rennlister in town with me.

The Porsche bug has bitten Don already.

As far as the engineering goes well......... you will find some things and say WHAT WERE THEY THINKING

But having said that I think we all love these cars.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:52 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I agree. I think the community of Porsche is one of the best. I thought it would be high falutin' and snobby. Its quite the opposite. Maybe my mind would change if I was hanging in the GT2 forum a lot, I dont know. The people are eager to help and tend to know a lot about cars in general not just Porsches. You can even talk about the sore spots with these cars without feeling like you are dragging the party down. They are what they are, plusses and minuses together.

I like the sound a Porsche makes too. I like the smile on a small kids face when you open the door and let him sit in the drivers seat. I like that they are not cars without shortcomings. They make you earn their respect. Anybody can own a Lexus and never have to drink their dinner at night knowing something may go wrong. Thats no way to live. It takes a dedicated soul to put up with these machines sometimes. They make you want to smile and cry all at the same time on some days.

On the good days though, you forget all about it.

Let us not forget though that any Porsche is a luxury, not a necessity. We are so privileged to drive them, from the daily drivers that look the part, to the cherries in a bubblized storage baggie. They are big boy toys and should be treated with respect, never taken for granted. Most of the rest of the world would think our lifestyles are straight out of John Rockefeller. Sometimes they are right, sometimes not, but its a humbling reminder nonetheless that we partake in sinful libations most people only dream about.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UD, are you ready to tackle the fog lights?
Old 03-08-2004, 09:22 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the whole PCA thing. The guys in my local club are OK, but they are definately sticks in the mud. No younger guys that do anything on a regular basis and when I do show up to a function (once a year) the regulars act pissed that you're even there. I know the local president as he's my mechanic. That's about it. National PCA well... at least we get Panorama!

Now Rennlist... that's as different as Pink Floyd to The New Kids on the Block. You'll find good folks here that are kind and for the most part helpful if not down right humorous.

Rennlist is good money spent! PCA... well???? I"m undecided!!!!!

Either way - Welcome!

Quick Reply: Besides the engineering, what makes Porsche so special