Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inpecting a 944 sat for 20+ years

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 12:53 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Inpecting a 944 sat for 20+ years

Here's a new video on the 84 944 that has some of the maintenance items.
I drained the gas and expected to find something horrendous after 20 years.

---------------------------------------------------- Edit -------------------------------------------------------------
We just bought this 84 Porsche 944 from our long time neighbor. It's been sitting for 20+ years. I go over the car in this video, and also do a cylinder inspection with a borescope. I'd be curious of your options of what's inside.
Is there anything I missed?

Thanks, DanD

Here is the video.

Last edited by DanD; 02-28-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:29 PM
PetePorsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My god, has that car been sitting 20 years? It looks wonderful from underneath. Trans looks to be as good as new! You know somebody really cared for a car when the torqued bolts have been marked with paint!
Very nice!
Old 02-17-2020, 02:54 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PetePorsche
My god, has that car been sitting 20 years? It looks wonderful from underneath. Trans looks to be as good as new! You know somebody really cared for a car when the torqued bolts have been marked with paint!
Very nice!
I'm thinking that's all factory markings. Does anyone know? It was pretty dirty underneath from being a driver for the first 16 years, but always well cared for where it counted.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:14 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's a new video on the 84 944 that has some of the maintenance items.
I drained the gas and expected to find something horrendous after 20 years.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:18 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Amazed that fuel appears that clean and grit free.

I am curious about several things:
How did you get away with power-washing the engine bay without causing any electrical issues to suddenly pop up ?
And your use of Uro parts instead of more reliable and more quality items ?

I will be watching your videos and hopefully you don't mind my comments or questions.
I am also so thankful you reached out and saved another of these great sports-cars instead of it going to a parts dismantler. Great normally aspirated 944s are becoming harder and harder to find, as so many have fallen into wrong hands or abusive/neglectful ownership and lost. Glad you are doing the right thing by keeping another one whole and 'unmolested', preserving it for the future
Old 03-03-2020, 01:55 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Amazed that fuel appears that clean and grit free.

I am curious about several things:
How did you get away with power-washing the engine bay without causing any electrical issues to suddenly pop up ?
And your use of Uro parts instead of more reliable and more quality items ?

I will be watching your videos and hopefully you don't mind my comments or questions.
I am also so thankful you reached out and saved another of these great sports-cars instead of it going to a parts dismantler. Great normally aspirated 944s are becoming harder and harder to find, as so many have fallen into wrong hands or abusive/neglectful ownership and lost. Glad you are doing the right thing by keeping another one whole and 'unmolested', preserving it for the future
Thanks for your reply. Apparently the "internet" is afraid of using a power washer to clean engines. I've used one for many many years without any issues. I still have not started the car, I'm still doing maintenance, belts, WP, etc. I have most of the engine apart and so much of the normal electrical issues, such as water in the distributor would be cleared up by the time I'm ready to start it.
I'm fine with using low cost parts for non essential parts replacements. Order from a known good vendor and you'll be fine.

For those that don't know me, I used to hang out in the 944 Turbo forum. I had 3 1986 turbos that I personally did all repair work. My first one with 59k miles on it was wrecked by a little old lady not paying attention. But since it was is such great shape, I disassembled the entire car and reassembled it into another 86 shell. Several engines, upgrades, repairs, etc. I couldn't have done it without Rennlist.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:24 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

I used to clean lots of cars back in HS for pre sale. These cars were well used and high mileage. I always used a pressure washer under the hood. I always did it with the car running. If you hear the engine stumble or hesitate you stopped spraying immediately and didn't respray that location. With advances in connector technology and wiring quality, I'd think this would be mostly a non issue on newer cars. I'd spray a 944 compartment avoiding the DME area, distributor area, and alternator with direct hits. Anything else would be fair game to me.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:10 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
I used to clean lots of cars back in HS for pre sale. These cars were well used and high mileage. I always used a pressure washer under the hood. I always did it with the car running. If you hear the engine stumble or hesitate you stopped spraying immediately and didn't respray that location. With advances in connector technology and wiring quality, I'd think this would be mostly a non issue on newer cars. I'd spray a 944 compartment avoiding the DME area, distributor area, and alternator with direct hits. Anything else would be fair game to me.
That's a good plan. Most of the critical components are under the dash.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:09 AM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick question about your garage. I see you have engineered joists. Is there living space above your garage?

Old 03-06-2020, 03:52 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

There could be, but it's just a loft about the same size as the shop. But no plumbing, so it would take some work to make it livable. But, the good side is I get to store all my spare parts up there. I have a ton, maybe even literally. Good thing for engineered joists.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:59 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well 4 months later I finally got around to doing the paint chip repair on the 944. And buffing and polishing. And a few other bits of detailing. It looks Great!

Soon we'll put this up for sale. I would be too tempted to modify it. And I need another project car. In the meantime. Here are the results.

Quick Reply: Inpecting a 944 sat for 20+ years