Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Have To Bleed The Slave?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 09:30 PM
joseywhales
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do You Have To Bleed The Slave?

Just changed out the master clutch cylinder and bleed all 4-brakes and master cylinder and now a have the dreaded clutch to the floor. Looked thru past post and didnt see if i have to bleed the slave cyl. also. I was really not looking forward to doing it this weekend, but was rather going to replace it in a couple weeks. Any thoughts! I was using a motive bleeder when bleeding. Help, thanks! Scott.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:58 PM
jharding
Rennlist Member

Don't bleed it. Replace it (and the hose between the master and slave too). If you had to change the clutch master then the slave will most likely fail very shortly, if it hasn't already.

If you decide to keep the old slave then yes, you do have to bleed it. The clutch is on the floor because air is stuck in the line between clutch and slave or in the slave itself.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:00 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bleed the slave, not hard at all with the Motive Bleeder, be sure and remove the ground from the battery, wrenches around the starter is not pretty and it is best to replace the slave and master at the same time.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:03 PM
joseywhales
Instructor

Im going to soung stupid here I know but nothing new. Whats the nipple at back of slave, dosent have anything attached to it. Do you have to pull the starter just to bleed the slave. Thanks, Scott.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:12 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by joseywhales
Im going to soung stupid here I know but nothing new. Whats the nipple at back of slave, dosent have anything attached to it. Do you have to pull the starter just to bleed the slave. Thanks, Scott.
That is the bleed nipple and no don't pull the starter to just bleed, but you do have to pull the starter to replace the slave.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, a question I was tossing around, answered! Thanks!

- Julie
Old 02-28-2004, 10:15 PM
joseywhales
Instructor

Thanks David, I went to your site and that is one BADD-A*#@ ENGINE. bet u can't wait to get the bugs out. Thanks again! Scott
Old 02-28-2004, 10:31 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this tonite with the motive power bleeder. Took me about 20 minutes from jacking the car up to dropping it back down while changing out and putting in all new ATE Super Blue. Needs a 7mm wrench, I put my motive hose on the nipple and just opened it enough to bleed out and it worked great. In fact I was able to just hold the wrench on it while bleeding and tight it back up so it wouldn't run out anymore very easily.

Of course as Matt said, I have girl hands so it wasn't too hard for me to reach but it took a couple of minutes to get the bleed hose attached to the nipple.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Do You Have To Bleed The Slave?