Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Stem Caps

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 06:01 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Matt H
this one is a little animal aggressive now but we plan to have him very well socialized (2 cats and another dog) plus training, he will get his fill of other animals! He plays well with the other animals but he does like to bite (he is teething so I can deal with it right now, that being said, I am still a very stern correcter). In all he is a good pup, already almost 100% potty trained (I forgot how often puppies have to go out!), we already have him crate trained so it is looking good.
Ahh yes the puppy biting thing is an old but perenial topic across the breed spectrum I just remembered a short scenario a few decades ago. I am walking in the park with my shep on the leash. Nearby, a young kid plays with his newly aquired PBT pup of about 8 to 10 weeks. The park was big and safe so the kid was walking his pup without restraints. The PBT pup notices us walk by. The pup makes an abrupt dash to us with hapless owner trying to catch up. So we are standing there watching this cute little speckled white fireball zoom up. About a few inches from my shep the pup suddenly terrified by his predicament rushes under my dog's leg and cowers there. Of course my dog just stood there wondering what kind of nut case is this? My shep didn't bother to even grunt just watched in wonder quietly. The owner reached underneath my dog to take his prized possession away in one piece. Apparently what happened was the PBT's powerfully ingrained animal agressiveness programming. The pup reacted instinctively without realizing until it was too late. With another dog things might have gone differently. This is another good example why I take great pains to discourage my dogs from any sort of dog to dog nastiness.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:18 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) I never let my dog off leash around other dogs in a park setting. Too many variables. She is allowed off leash in the my back yard (fenced) or at the trainers with other dogs that have been trained. Problem avoided!

2) 8-10 wk. puppies are no different than kids, they need constant monitoring and handling. Mine gets off leash to use the bathroom, he is on leash if I am in the house (teached them to not treat the leash as a playtoy and helps them recognize that it does always mean there is going to be a walk!) and off if he is crated (danger to animal otherwise).

3) Like any dog (and Peter knows this), they can all be terrific animals if they are handled carefully and the know who is the boss. Even my rott had to occasionally be reminded that I am holding the leash not the other way around. One tug on the pinch collar and she "remembers". Oddly, dogs like to test boundaries the way children do. The shame of it is not enough people are responsible pet owners and an entire breed is labeled as BAD.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:19 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lets not forget who the victim is.
!
I don't think someone who had an eight-year-old kid steal valve stem caps off his Porsche can be called a victim.

He obviously has some other issues, but who doesn't? There's no reason to take it out on a little kid who didn't take anything, even if his buddy did. I don't think there's any way you can justify that kind of behavior.

Mystic River is about a young boy who gets caught writing his initials in some new cement, and gets abducted by two guys posing as police who want to teach him a lesson.

You can probably guess what happens to him.

It's Clint's latest, a powerful flick and Sean Penn is amazing. Check it out.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:50 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like one I'm not too sure I want to see- I was thnking something along the lines of Sleepers when you first brought it up- now I'm definately picturing a similar thing.

"Victim" does sound funny, but...by definition, he was a victim of theft...

I'm not sure that the kid didn't have ANY of the valve caps either- he was one of the ones TRYING to remove one- he might NOT have actually suceeded, but, he WAS TRYING- IIRC, the guy caught him b/c he was trying to get BACK on his bike.

The guy might have had a little too much fun w/it, but, damn- that stuff gets old. I always wondered if the kids, had they NOT been caught, would have gone for something more, like the badges for instance...?

I remember a few aquaintances in HS who went to Daytona for Spring Break- they got drunk, etc, one night & decided to see how many "cool" car emblems they could steal- they pried off several MB hood ornaments, badges, or whatever you call them- the used SCREWDRIVERS on thee tough ones! A Jaguar, Cadillac, several BMWs, Volvo (IIRC), & yes, at least one Porsche among many others... They all thought it was hillarious- fu**ing dumb-*** rich kids- I thought it was disgusting & was glad I didn't go w/them on that trip... They should have been beaten! Something along the lines of a good Chuck Norris ***-pkicking & THEN, have to pay for each & every one, PLUS, installation (I don't CARE if the owner could do it in 5 seconds & the factory charged 5hrs) plus, transportation fees to & from the dealer & any OTHER damages caused by it. EX: if they scratched the paint (they DID on SEVERAL cars), they'd pay to paint the WHOLE DAMN CAR by an exotic paint shop- like places that charge ~$10K+, PLUS, a NICE rental car for the ENTIRE time it took to do everything, & THEN, after ALL that, a little EXTRA $, just for the PITA & overall irritation it may have caused- all in all, for a nice $60K Jag- I'm thinking a quick ~$15K might do it- NOW, let's add up all the OTHER cars & then divide by the # of spoiled ******** invloved...

What about those kids who stole the stop signs for fun, down south, a few yrs ago down- just playing a game, really- they took a few & a major accident occured where someone was killed soon after- they faced criminal charges too- not sure how that turned out(?). Just an example of a VERY harmless crime that became MUCH worse- I know that valve stems are completely different, but, kids have to think about the repercussions of things like that- If you dont make issues of stuff like this, worse things often happen- they HAVE to learn think about consequences & how their actions affect OTHERS. IF kids grew up ALWAYS having respect for the property of others, these things wouldn't happen to begin with.... Anyway, I'm no parent, so I've said more than enough already.... I'll stop now...

Last edited by Robby; 02-27-2004 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:26 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Matt H
1) The shame of it is not enough people are responsible pet owners and an entire breed is labeled as BAD.
This is so true. Even Golden Retrievers can earn a bad rap from irresponsible owners. It's already happening with Dalmations.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Tom R.
In some countries they would have cut the kids hand off.
If we could do that in the US, there'd be a lot of handless SOB's running around. Then again maybe not, I'm sure amount theft crimes would dramatically drop as soon as the first person got his or her hand whacked
Old 02-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Surprisingly theft is not a very big crime in those places :>)

I used to leave all sorts of things on the front seat of my car in Suadi, including my wallet a few times, never lost anything.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Tom R.

LETS NOT FORGET WHO THE VICTIM IS.

In some countries they would have cut the kids hand off.
You know, I kind of doubt that. You're getting silly now.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Matt H
Race Director

He is correct.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

A kid? For stealing something like that? Prove it.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Matt H
Race Director

1) Not my responsiblity to prove anything to you.

2) The punishment for stealing in some countries, KSA being one, is that they cut off you hand.

Would the punishment have been that harsh for that crime, hard to say, depends on how many times the kid had been in trouble before.

Some people view theft too lightly (yourself for one). I would rather have seen him spend some time in a juvenile detention center but public embarassment is okay too. Kids make mistakes, no one is arguing that, however, since there is no punishment they think it is okay to do it again.

Kids get shot every year by police officers for handling weapons, stealing etc. Theft is a crime whether it is my 4.00 valve stem caps or the whole car is really irrelevant. Stealing something off of a car should also be seen a destruction of property.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:11 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Robby
Damn! That's amazing- I wish we could do something to our cars to electrocute thieves- something that would only shock the living sh** out of them if they actually got the door open or something, so that if someone accidentally brushed up against the car, they wouldn't get
Here's what you want. They make these for taxi's but it looks like it would work as a car security system too. I heard a radio interview with the inventor and he says the system would run around $800.

Phazer-A-Tact
Old 02-27-2004, 02:41 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno Pete. I think I couldn't keep myself from modding that PAT system to see just how many volts I could run through it.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:54 PM
85944na
Racer

I caught a kid stealing my porsche crest valve stem caps, I was at a buddies house and we glance out the window and see these little punks on razor scooters taking my caps, my buddy and I run down and scare the crap out of these kids. I was so mad, just made the kid give em back though, I park there all the time still and noone touches the car. Also, Iceshark, if you need more caps let me know, we have some laying around at work.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:25 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sort of amused at how many guys have an issue with this as the thread is getting pretty long. At least I know I'm not crazy or someone has it out for me.

I think Matt has me covered on replacements and spares but thanks for the offer.

Quick Reply: Valve Stem Caps