Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Stem Caps

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an edit from my above reply, mostly to Peckster-

I think you've misunderstood- the guy didnt take him home w/him- that would be downright scary! Not to mention the fact that he could be opening himself up to all kinds of lawsuits...

The original thread this was on told the whol story- Ribs got it from a BMW board- the guy was a Bimmer owner IIRC- the guy had gone into a store & had seen the kid w/a few friends, on their BMX bikes- he said they were eyeballing his car, etc, & he had an idea they were going to do it- he had had several sets of his caps stolen before already. He went inside & his behind the counter, up close to the door- the kids went for the caps & he ran outside & grabbed at them- he only actually caught one- he brought the unfortunate kid inside & filmed him as he called the kids parents- he "threatened" to call the cops- I'm pretty sure he did not, but I do remember that he did not press any charges- anyway, he really didn't do anything other than scare the kid a little- telling him he could go to jail for that, etc & if he kept doing things like that, he WOULD, etc...

The part you're seeing was not the work of the victim / video recorder- that was pieced together later, as a take-off of oner of those credit card commercials- whayt the original guy did was to just show pics, in sequence (I'm really not sure it was video- might have just been digital pics) & told the story- he had it posted on his website & someone else saw it & made the picture board w/captions you are seeing... That's kind of sad that it gets all over the world now, that a kid can't even make a mistake w/out it becoming national attention, but, everyone's rushing to give up their freedom so quickly & become 100% dependent on computers, etc- that's what happens...
Old 02-26-2004, 04:12 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Originally posted by Peckster
Read it again Tom. I'd said I'd be pissed at a guy who did that to my kid.

You'll understand when your kid's a little older. Or I sure hope you will.

No one should take an eight-year old kid into their home, make them cry and take pictures of them when they weren't guilt of any crime. Seen Mystic River yet? You might want to check it out.

That guy is screwed up.
weren't guilty of any crime, eh.

since when did they abolish the laws against theft?

-Michael-
Old 02-26-2004, 04:20 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad those pics weren't from the actual incident. Anyhow, as someone else pointed out, if that kid had been the one that taken them, don't you think he would have handed them over? It was obviously the other kid who was responsible.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:20 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

What's Mystic River about anyway?

Also, wait- the pics WERE from the actual incident- it's just that the guy didn't put them together in that order, w/the captions, etc, to make it look like one of the credit card commercials- someone else used the guy's pictures to do that- he made it seem a little harsher than the actual incident really was- the guy had the kid- he didn't have to hold his bike ransom, etc- He just took the pics & tried to scare the kid while his parent's were on the way- he told the story on a BMW board & posted the pics & they got around to so many people that someone made a poster out of it... The original story was a BMW board IIRC & then it went to an RX7 board & Ribs got it & brought it here.... It became quite the debate, actually, since most of us have done things that were just as bad, if not worse- I've never stolen valve caps, but, I HAVE done a few things I'm not too proud of- it's really a perspective thing I guess, but, the fact is, the kids broke the law & the adult did NOT, NOR did he hurt the kid in ANY way while trying to apprehend him....
Old 02-26-2004, 04:23 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

in many cases the accessories or accomplices are also guilty. what's so hard to understand about the fact that even kids need to take responsibility for their actions. i'd have done the same thing, held his bike and called his parents when he came back. they can dole out the punnishment, i'd be happy to have my stem caps back and/or see justice served, and hopefully teach the little punk about being a contributing member of society, rather than a societal leach.

-Michael-
Old 02-26-2004, 04:24 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Robby
[BFIND A NEW PLACE TO LIVE or something...that is, unless you enjoy having all of your worldly possessions stolen... I am just messing w/you[/B]
All kidding asides that seems to be about the right answer, location. Back in years when I used to live In Brooklyn this stuff compares like 3/8 inch of sludge against an iceberg. Our cars were stolen from fenced-in and gated driveway. Our home was ransacked and vandalized. It was so bad they would start stripping a parked car in front of me standing from the stairs of my own home. I had to challenge the group of thugs but came very close paying for it. The gangleader was reaching for something below his seat then changed his mind. I live in a completely opposite kind of world now. There are no pitbull walking macho wackos around here Everyone's hubcaps including valve caps are intact
Old 02-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey - you take back that Pitbull comment!!!! We are not all wackos!

Just giving you greif, though with the PBT and the ROTT I doubt anyone will ever come in the yard.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:37 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Matt H
Just giving you greif, though with the PBT and the ROTT I doubt anyone will ever come in the yard.
I knew you had a trained (female?)Rottie but not about the PBT. I am happy to say my somewhat over protective Shep is completely useless in my new neighborhood. But he does a great job treeing squirrels
Old 02-26-2004, 04:45 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Tom R.
My Acura , Mazda (valve caps) and Porsche were parked at the Cedarhurst (you know, the five towns - big $$$ neighborhood) LIRR train station
LIRR train station, that's the key word. I don't think any car, regardless of neighborhood, is safe at a mass transit parking lot.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I just got the PBT, he is 6 weeks now! He is headed to the vet in Austin tonight, then to the trainer in about 4 weeks.

The female hasnt really warmed up to the situation yet, mostly this little dog playing with her toys, you should see a 6 week old 5 lb puppy pick up a tennis ball!!
Old 02-26-2004, 04:55 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

My next step is move to the "boonies".
I am sort of already there Let me tell you...I don't miss the LIE bumper to bumper traffic in the least.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:12 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Matt H
I just got the PBT, he is 6 weeks now! He is headed to the vet in Austin tonight, then to the trainer in about 4 weeks.
The female hasnt really warmed up to the situation yet, mostly this little dog playing with her toys, you should see a 6 week old 5 lb puppy pick up a tennis ball!!
Puppy PBTs are sweet things. I'd own one if not for their predisposition for animal agressiveness. My other home is an 8.25 acres unfenced mountain top property. All sort of animals come and go but mostly neighborhood dogs. So the breed of my choice must coexist with the environment critters without too much liability. Not that my shep is an angel...but he's easily "called-off" from other animals. He's a a bit more assertive with people which surprises me. But that's only with people who try to approach me. I really don't need this kind of personal reinforcement here. It's funny how things work out in life. The sheps I owned in Brooklyn were sort of dumb about personal reinforcement. They required lots of training to get it right. Now this guy here I never did anything with him. Guess a lot depends on genetic engineering. In summary I am willing to compromise with his people agressiveness but not on dog agressiveness.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:15 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

I just gotta stay within say 90 miles of where we have an office so my commute is the same 1 1/2 hours. I can take the appreciation/equity in my house and buy the same house just about anywhere else and never have a mortgage payment again. Imagine what I could do with 3k a month more in the pocket. Oh wait, then my wifes salary gets cut in half. back at square one- but with valve cap security.
Same problem my good buddy from Ronkonkoma deals with. He would love to come up to Albany. But that would cut his wife's 100k+ annual salary to half.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt- got any pics of the two playing together? I love dogs- I have a Dachshund sitting on my lap right now- she own's the place- I just live here. I never liked the small yip-yaps until a few yrs ago when I had a girlfriend who loved Dachshunds- I fell in love w/the ornery little brats... You said that about the puppy picking up tennis *****- Maggie here was 2.4lbs at 6wks old & was always trying to play w/tennis *****- I bought her some miniature ones- I think they're for cats- lot's of the toys I've bought for her are- it's a little larger than a golf ball & is fuzzy just like a tennis ball- she makes me throw it for regularly....
Old 02-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I will post some pics later.

EZ - this one is a little animal aggressive now but we plan to have him very well socialized (2 cats and another dog) plus training, he will get his fill of other animals! He plays well with the other animals but he does like to bite (he is teething so I can deal with it right now, that being said, I am still a very stern correcter). In all he is a good pup, already almost 100% potty trained (I forgot how often puppies have to go out!), we already have him crate trained so it is looking good.

Robby - you should have seen my shock when this little dog picked the ball which is bigger than his head and started carrying it around!

Quick Reply: Valve Stem Caps