Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Stem Caps

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 11:21 PM
Kokopelli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got some new valves caps myself. I bought some blue anodized aluminum ones, to replace the ones that were on the car when I bought it. Pure rice :-), but they weigh almost nothing. Anyway, I heard you can get some that have a small grub screw that you lock with an Allen key, that should do the trick.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:39 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 02-23-2004, 11:57 PM
mochman
Pro

They always steal mine!
Old 02-24-2004, 08:16 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There should be some kind of super-glue that we can formulate that stays liquid in open-air. Then when the kid grabs that valve-stem cap, it cures and sticks to his fingers for weeks! Kinda like Loctite, doesn't cure until the air's gone. That'll teach the little buggers!
Old 02-26-2004, 07:18 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Danno
There should be some kind of super-glue that we can formulate that stays liquid in open-air. Then when the kid grabs that valve-stem cap, it cures and sticks to his fingers for weeks! Kinda like Loctite, doesn't cure until the air's gone. That'll teach the little buggers!
I think I like this about as much as a good electrical shock- as long as it wouldn't KILL them, I'd do the electrical thing in a heartbeat- anyone know how? I'm always worried about my $10 aluminum Porsche ones- they are the tall ones that cover the whole stem- maybe my car just doesn't LOOK as expensive- well, not as expensive as it HAS been anyway

I'm sorry, but when Ribs posted that story over a year ago about the Bimmer, I laughed my *** off- I could NOT BELIEVE the whiny-*** debate about how the kid had been wronged- hell, he didn't get thrown in jail OR even whipped, to my knowledge, which would surely have happened to me IF I had ended up on the internet, embarassing MY parents (& myself) that way, etc... I'm not big on capital punishment, but sometimes... And don't even get me started on what I'd want to do if it were MY Car- people need to show a little more respect for other people's property...
Old 02-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Get locking valve caps! You cant remove them unless you have the special tool! Its a pain in the *** to get them off but no one will take them! Apparently Porsche does not alloy the companies selling to use the Porsche name or symbol anymore in America so you have to go ebay, or europe somehow.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

"When I put the snows on the painted wheels, the guy at the shop put chrome sleeves and caps on two of the valves before I could stop him."

I must be missing something here- if he had just put the chrome ones on, why didn't you just take them off & replace them w/your old ones? Did he throw them away in a trash can that was so full you could never find them, or....? Just curious.... Also, if I were you, I would consider doing something different.....like FIND A NEW PLACE TO LIVE or something...that is, unless you enjoy having all of your worldly possessions stolen... I am just messing w/you, but, seriously, it DOES sound like you live in a rather theft-happy neighborhood- your insurance company must cringe everytime they hear from you- I would think they would eventually investigate you w/that kind of track record... But, in any event, I DO feel for you- it SUCKS to have your car messed with &/or stolen, etc.... I wish we could catch all the ******** that d that stuff
Old 02-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damn! That's amazing- I wish we could do something to our cars to electrocute thieves- something that would only shock the living sh** out of them if they actually got the door open or something, so that if someone accidentally brushed up against the car, they wouldn't get fried- I would LOVE to see the look on someone's face if they got hit w/a few thousand volts while trying to pick the lock, stealing valve caps, etc- I don't know how many volts it takes to do what, but, whatever it would take to make them levitate ~2-3ft, lose bladder control, & possibly pass out for a minute or two- maybe I have a weird sense of humor, but.... I just hate having to pay higher rates for OTHER people's cars being stolen & I hate the idea even more, of MY car being stolen... I remember a case where a guy rigged his stereo system up w/a bunch of fish hooks- his truck had been broken into & his competition stereo ripped off multiple times- the theif got "hooked" & the cops (& possibly an ambulance) had to come get him out IIRC- I absolitely LOVED that one- VERY well deserved IMO- the cops said the owner could be sued for booby trapping- I think that's ludicrous, but, that's a whole nother thread...
Old 02-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

After having my Porsche crested stems stolen a few years back, seeing that kid cry makes my day.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The person who posted that story originally sounds like he's got some problems to deal with. He says he was shaking when he caught the kid! Then, if those are the same pics, he took the kid indoors somewhere and took pictures of him crying? If he'd done it to my kid, I'd have beat the living crap out of him.

I guess that makes me a liberal, eh?

They're little metal caps, right? Get over it or put on plastic ones.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

"They're little metal caps, right? Get over it or put on plastic ones. "[/B][/QUOTE]

they were MY little metal caps.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

I feel your pain.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:03 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom, If you still have those BBS caps I sent you then maybe we can set up a trap to catch Peckster's kid!

There must be some real high voltage power lines around. Say 400,000 volts. The kind you can stand 100 feet away from holding a florescent bulb and it lights up. I've got some heavy cable on a spool from the battery cable project that you can use. Then we come up with some nice attractive trap design and fry the little buggers.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Read it again Tom. I'd said I'd be pissed at a guy who did that to my kid.

You'll understand when your kid's a little older. Or I sure hope you will.

No one should take an eight-year old kid into their home, make them cry and take pictures of them when they weren't guilt of any crime. Seen Mystic River yet? You might want to check it out.

That guy is screwed up.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Peckster
The person who posted that story originally sounds like he's got some problems to deal with. He says he was shaking when he caught the kid! Then, if those are the same pics, he took the kid indoors somewhere and took pictures of him crying? If he'd done it to my kid, I'd have beat the living crap out of him.

I guess that makes me a liberal, eh?

They're little metal caps, right? Get over it or put on plastic ones.
Where was the guy supposed to take him? He pulled the kid into the store so he could have witnesses...

There have been a few times when I've gotten so mad that I've been shaking & wanted to just beat someone to death, etc- people have been so enraged that they've passed out, thrown up, had heartattacks, etc- some of the worst tantrums I've ever seen have been b/c of simple traffic probs- I doubt there's anyone here who doesn't know SOMEONE who doesn't REGULARLY go completely APE-SH** in traffic. Sometimes it's the simplest things that set people off- you NEVER know what kind of a day someone has ALREADY had when that "little thing" that was "no big deal" ended up being the final straw; parent(s) could have been killed in a car crash & he just found out; wife could have been raped & he JUST saw her in the hospital, etc... And sometimes, it's being right on that edge b/t losing control & trying to maintain, that's hardest of all- maybe the guy was so adrenaline fueled that it was all he could do to keep telling himself "...he's just a kid, DON'T hit him....he's just a kid, DON'T hit him...."

Well, he didn't TOUCH the kid- and to be honest- I think the kid looks like he's playing the tears thing a little heavy anyway. AND, if he's such a PU**Y to cry THAT easily, then MAYBE he SHOULDN'T have been doing what he did in the first place- he NEEDED to be scared- what if the NEXT guy HAPPENED to be TRUELY crazy & pulled out a gun & simply SHOT him? Or the guy had been the one whose wife had just been raped- the kid needs to learn that people can go off for no reason, let alone him giving them reasons- that same guy said he'd had many caps stolen before & was already pissed about it. MAYBE scaring the kid will make him think twice the next time. These days, most kids are aware that no one can do anything to them- there are LAWS against this & that, but, the laws that the kids break are "no big deal" & it's not right- everyone else is responsible for other people's kids & if that's the case, maybe everyone else should discipline them too(?). If I video taped a kid like that & his parent's were pissed at ME b/c THEIR kid got CAUGHT stealing MY stuff (and I don't care HOW small or seemingly insignificant it was) I would kick THEIR asses for bringing him into this already overpopulated world & not watching him better in the first place. Not to mention the fact that I should have the right to use whatever caps I pay for & NOT have them stolen. I should also be able to protect my property- ESPECIALLY when nonviolent. That kid was relatively lucky- the video tape MIGHT have been a little overboard, but, the guy had to have SOME pics of him- especially since he didn't press charges- not to mention the fact that in SOME countries, the kid's HANDS would have been cut off for stealing ANYTHING....

Quick Reply: Valve Stem Caps