Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rebuilds are expensive!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adrial,

Sorry I wish I did...i just looked them up one by one using the PET cd as I took the motor apart. Everyone I talked to including paragon had an engine reseal kit, but it was really nothing more than a front(balanch shaft seals) reseal kit with an oil pan gasket and rear mains seal thrown in. All the little tiny things like air/oil seperator seals had to be ordered seperately.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:44 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I guess I'll find out as I start to put the engine back together!

Thanks for the help over the months everybody.

I've decided that if I tell myself I'm building a racecar I feel better about spending huge sums of $$ on it...
Old 02-19-2004, 04:01 PM
alengyel
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased the re-ring kit from EBS. It has every gasket, seal, ring and bearing included. Even came with new rod nuts. It was 695 and with the tech help from John there it was an excellent deal.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adrial,

I've be putting together a parts list for my engine rebuild that includes a list of the seals and gaskets used in the engine and elsewhere. Aside from just figuring out what I need, my goal is to publish this information on the web for others to use once the project is complete. If you're interested I could send you what I have. I'm pretty sure its complete (including updated part numbers). But of course the proof is in the pudding, so I won't really know until I actually complete the rebuild.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:13 PM
alengyel
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Perry, wasn't your balance shaft leak caused by installing the mylar seals in backwards? Could you enlighten us on which face is installed against the shaft?
Old 02-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Adrial, it looks like things are going well. A question about the Total Seal rings. Which will you be using? I heard that the best way to do it is the #1 and #3 rings with Porsche OEM and just the #2 Total Seal. Or is that the way everybody does it?
Old 02-19-2004, 07:39 PM
mossy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow!!!! Dedicated guys......
When do you say, "A rebuild will cost too much, let's just go with a reconditioned unit"???
I really admire the thorough approach you're taking, Adrial. I'm sure that you will have a motor to be truly proud off. I bet you'll NEVER sell that car......
Mossy
Old 02-21-2004, 12:54 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

alengyl,

I spoke to John @ EBS and he told me that the re-ring kit contains the same gaskets as the crankcase gasket set, head gasket set and front engine seal kits.

Dare,

I am also putting together a similar list, I'll post when I have so far when I get back to school on sunday.

Ken,

Yes, I believe what I ordered from EBS was a total seal #2, and normal other rings. I'm not sure because at the time I didn't ask, I trusted them. I'll find out when I receive them, unless I change my mind and go back to OEM.

Mossy,

Nope, I'm definetely never selling the car. There's just no reason to after all this is done. Unless of course I have no place to store the car at some point in my life, but I dont think that will happen.

Last edited by adrial; 02-21-2004 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:47 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally posted by alengyel
Hey Perry, wasn't your balance shaft leak caused by installing the mylar seals in backwards? Could you enlighten us on which face is installed against the shaft?
The thin Mylar seals are non-directional. My leak was caused by me not setting the outer seal in deep enough. I wanted to stay off the small groove that was there from the original seal, but that didn't work. Within a few moments of start up, the pully ate away at the face of the seal and it started puking.

My only leak now is around the oil pressure sender. My dipstick and rear main leaked for a few hundred miles, but they both sealed up nicely.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:51 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

BTW, what do you guys think of Total Seal rings?

Quick Reply: Engine rebuilds are expensive!