Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944s Lacks Power...help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 03:56 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 944s Lacks Power...help?

Hello, I am new to the rennlist family. I have a engine question about my 87 944S. I am having a hard time getting and low end power out of it. I had the engine out due to an very unexpected wire harness fire....Actually, A Smoky melting mess. It took me a bout 6 months to get a new harness but while the motor was on the stand I replaced almost every sensor on the motor, checked compression and generally detailed the whole engine compartment. and now I am having problems with low end power, It is really doggy and does not seem to improve until I get to about 3000 rpm or Higher.I was thinking timing, Anyone have any suggestions? How do I fine tune the timing? Thank You
Old 02-08-2004, 04:40 PM
mossy
Instructor

I've got a similar problem, low rpm power. Mine started when I changed the engine. Take a plug out and look at it. Does it have a carbon deposit on it??? If so, it could be the same problem that I've got.
If you want, I can talk you through what I've checked so far.
Maybe we both missed something putting the motor back.........?
Mossy
Old 02-08-2004, 04:43 PM
mossy
Instructor

P.S. Timing can only be set up with a pair of dial guages, but if you've just had the engine out it won't have changed.
T.P.S. is a favorite for causing unpredictible running, but I've changed mine and it didn't make that much difference......
Old 02-08-2004, 05:31 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

bad fuel injector? i recently replaced a bad #1 fuel injector and the car runs much better now. i had virtually no acceleration with a bad injector, but it seemed to pep up a little at higher rpms. i don't know...just a thought
Old 02-08-2004, 05:45 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Yea, I think about the only thing I did not change but wish I would have is the injectors.May do that. I have replaced the TPS, KNOCK SENSORS, PLUGS, WIRES, IDLE CONTROL VALVE, HALL SENDER, ALL WATER/OIL TEMP SENSORS, and the ECU But one thing I did do.......I replaced the power steering pump pressure switch but I have been kinda leary of hooking up the wires. After my last under hood engine BBQ....I was doing some reasearch and I think that the pressure switch directly affects the Idle control valve during heavv draw on the system, I think??????
Old 02-08-2004, 06:19 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Check to see if your spark plugs are fouling. I had a problem with my Honda CX500 Turbo a few years ago. It didn’t want to run except at higher RPM and was fouling plugs. I kept trying new plugs and cleaning them and it didn’t help for long. It turned out that the recommended plugs seemed to assume all out type of riding all of the time. I changed to the next hottest range plugs and the problem went away. This may not be your problem but maybe if the plugs are fouling someone one here may have a recommendation for the proper plugs to use.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:19 PM
mossy
Instructor

How do you check for bad injectors????
I know that my motor stood for 2 years before I got it, but I don't really want to replace all the injectors (at $160 each!!!).
Is there any way to flush them out??

Another thing could be any grounds that may have been not reattached securely (likethe one at the back of the block going to the bulkhead).

Kevin, cool bike!!! I bet that's a blast!
Old 02-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If there's a definite change from what it was before, it has to be something you did while working on it. You might have broken a vacuum hose or didn't reconnect something properly when you were doing the work.

Retrace your steps and check everything. If you can't find it, take it to a mechanic who knows these cars well.

I doubt it's injectors if they're OK at higher rpm.

Quick Reply: 944s Lacks Power...help?