Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So uhhh, stupid mistake of the day.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 07:00 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So uhhh, stupid mistake of the day.

Yes you all joke about darwin awards, and that kid who put sand through his intake on his audi. We've all made dumb mistakes, hopefully not THAT dumb, but they've been dumb enough for us to curse the heavens as we realized what just happened. Here's mine for the day....

So i'm in my basement, working on tearing down my spare engine. Ive got most of the bolts/allen sockets removed to take off the cam cover when I get to this one. It's tight, i try and apply some force and get it to move when i fall forward with a loud crack. The ball to the 6mm allen wrench just broke off inside the socket. AHHG! This is THE last one i needed to removed before pulling the cam cover. So now im resorting to carefully drilling until i can get the ball out and use the ez out to get the rest out. Hopefully this will only take a day or two more of careful drilling. So there's my stupid moment of the day.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2004, 07:20 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

You should never use ball headed allen wrenches for this. At best use straight allens to loosen it, then if it's difficult to get in there, use a ball. Been there, done that.

On the issue of stupid mistakes. Today I went to replace my oil pressure sending unit due to its prodigous loos of oil, bout a quart every 15 miles or so. Everyone told me to have the new one handy to reduce the anout of oil coming out. Well I had it ready. But I didn't take off the plastic thread protector. Was rather difficult to thread in that way. By the time I realised my dumbass mistake so much oil had leaked that it was nect to impossible to get back on because it was so slippery.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:45 PM
tomc_85.5_944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try getting the clutch inspection hole confused with the flywheel TDC inspection port and not being able to understand why you can't see the mark when setting the motor to TDC.

We learn through mistakes, some expensive, some just worthy of some very, very bad words....
Old 02-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Cass944
Drifting

impact driver.... thats what i used. came right out.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:38 AM
nineeagles
Pro

My stupid mistake of the day was on Friday...I sent out all my bills for the month.....stamped all the envelopes....inserted all the bill invoices and put them in the mail.....but guess what.....NO CHECKS!!!.......well tomorrow I will be calling everyone of the companies to straighten it out.....DUH...at least they aren't due untill next week.......
Old 02-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Stupid mistakes with my car:

Going to the dealer $$$ for repairs before finding good mechanics on rennlist.

Getting a ticket for expired plates, got an extension for court date because I was waiting for a part necessary for emissions testing hence the expired plates. Get the plates, forget to schedule the new court date on my calender and miss it! Big fine for something what would have been dismissed if I had been there :-( Need to increase my flexibility so I can kick my own *** a few times.

Mark
Old 02-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Trying to leave from a bar on a bike without removing cable lock from front wheel first. Let's you get you feet up...
Old 02-08-2004, 06:51 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: So uhhh, stupid mistake of the day.

Originally posted by MPD47
Yes you all joke about darwin awards, and that kid who put sand through his intake on his audi. We've all made dumb mistakes, hopefully not THAT dumb, but they've been dumb enough for us to curse the heavens as we realized what just happened. Here's mine for the day....

So i'm in my basement, working on tearing down my spare engine. Ive got most of the bolts/allen sockets removed to take off the cam cover when I get to this one. It's tight, i try and apply some force and get it to move when i fall forward with a loud crack. The ball to the 6mm allen wrench just broke off inside the socket. AHHG! This is THE last one i needed to removed before pulling the cam cover. So now im resorting to carefully drilling until i can get the ball out and use the ez out to get the rest out. Hopefully this will only take a day or two more of careful drilling. So there's my stupid moment of the day.

BTDT, it is no fun drilling that head off !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2004, 07:51 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Nope, it's no fun at all. However i JUST got it off 10 minutes ago!!!!
Old 02-08-2004, 07:55 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try tapping that little sucker with a drift+hammer to loosen it, then use a magnet to pull it out., Might work, if it hasnt dug into the metal too much.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally posted by MPD47
Nope, it's no fun at all. However i JUST got it off 10 minutes ago!!!!
How did you get it? With a drill? I was going to suggest driving a Torx bit down over the outside of the head -- worked for me once -- but you were too quick for me.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:40 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Well it required mauling the crap out of the cam cover and getting a socket down in there over it. Thankfully im not selling the cam cover as i kicked the crap out of it.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Predator
Pro

My recent Big (read $$$) Mistake was staying at the Boynton Beach Express Hoilday Inn. Arrive at 9:00 pm after driving for 14 hours, stood in line for 45 minutes while dumbass night clerk checked in a couple before me. Finally got my room key and returned to the truck to park. No parking avilable, as the hotel was hosting some sort of 'event'. Anyway, return to night clerk to complain that they should provide parking for their guests. She suggests that I go the back of the building and park in a handicapped parking space. By now I'm so tired and disgusted that I say,"well if thats OK?". Duh, how stupid could I be. Next morning at 5:00 am I return to the truck and guess what? A $250 ticket on my windshield. I go back to the front desk and, of course, the night clerk has been relieved, and they can't be responsible for any suggestions the clerk "may have made"! That will be the last time I ever stay in Boynton Beack, Fla., or a Holiday Inn.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

over extending the hood while installing new hood shocks after just searching the archives and reading about doing this causing the windshields to break.
Thats my Darwin of the month so dont feel bad.

Quick Reply: So uhhh, stupid mistake of the day.