Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Racing...still cool?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004 | 03:56 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 2Tight
Tim,
My heart goes out to the families involved. I saw that story locally the other morning and just added it to the recent street racing tradgedies becoming so common. I have two sons and everytime they leave the house we worry. The 16 year old with the 83 NA is just starting to drive. His first gift will be a DE class at Thunderhill...We hope it helps him realize how fast things can change..even in a controlled environment.

Steve
My son too is starting to drive. I let him take the stock turbo occasionally. He hasn't ever seen me race except on a track so hopefully he'll get the message. He spent his first saturday after getting his liscense at an autocross, and many more of the same. He drives a 914.

Steve, hopefully we can hook up sometime this year. I'm in Modesto and frequent the PCA and SCCA in nor cal.
Old 02-08-2004 | 05:29 AM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Well, back in high school this guy I knew, not really a friend but I went to classes with him, died in such an incident. He lost control of his civic and hit a tree going about 90 the newspaper said. Dead. Nice guy, but stupid nontheless.

Some time later that year another guy lost control in a turn at 75MPH, the car was standing on the front bumper and leaning agains a wall. Turns out he had nitrous installed in his acura and it eventually caught fire. All of them were dead. I think 4 people in the car.

Everytime I thought good thing I wasn't involved, and that's all. Because if you're stupid like that, well too bad. I'm not about to cry about it. Just don't hurt innocent bystanders. Hence the whole going to the track thing.
Old 02-08-2004 | 05:34 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by FSAEracer03
You are correct. I can't remember exactly where, though NY pops into my head for some reason.

Hey brrt... are you refering to the Fuelsluts in central FL? I've never heard of them anywhere else... my friend Sasa was one of the founders... his license was recently suspended, lol.
OOPS!!
Yep those are the guys. I heard about Sasa. I love visiting their board every once and awhile. Refreshing not to see any PC for a change.
Old 02-08-2004 | 12:17 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Hahaha, no kidding... yeah, Sasa's a good friend of mine, we workout together about 4 times a week... good guy (goes to my school)
Old 02-08-2004 | 03:43 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, stupid driving by kids extends past "sports" cars. A kid driving his parent's new CRV went around a curve here on a rainy night, jumped a curb, clipped off a tree about 6 ft up. Of 5 in the car, 4 died on the scene. None were wearing belts, not that it would have mattered how they hit the tree (with the roof). This curve is ok in the Porsche at about 60. It's posted 45, kid hit the tree doing over 90, in the rain. It about wouldn't matter if there was a free track every 20 miles, some kids are just going to do it regardless.
Old 02-08-2004 | 03:59 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

I honestly don't know how I will try to deal with all of this when I have kids starting to drive... I can't say "don't drive fast!" without being a total hypocrite myself. I think I might get my son(s) into go-karts at a young age to try to teach them how to drive, while also helping them learn that with speed comes responsibilty... aka, don't f*ck up like I did when I started driving!! As for the girl(s)... I just want them to know how to drive unlike 95% of the teenage girls out there now.

Thank God I have years to prepare this... now, first I need to find a wife
Old 02-08-2004 | 04:08 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

The kid was 15 years old racing a car he didn't know in a crowded highway? (But he got T-boned I am confused).. Anyways... He didnt know how to drive and was underage. How much does street racing have to do with that? He was going fast and he should be accountable for his actions. However to try to give the car racing him manslaughter just seems wrong... I mean how did he effect the situation? He didn't make contact with the mustang. The kid in the mustang had a choice to make "Should I race him" he made the wrong choice..
Old 02-08-2004 | 04:11 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Dave951M
Well, stupid driving by kids extends past "sports" cars. A kid driving his parent's new CRV went around a curve here on a rainy night, jumped a curb, clipped off a tree about 6 ft up. Of 5 in the car, 4 died on the scene. None were wearing belts, not that it would have mattered how they hit the tree (with the roof). This curve is ok in the Porsche at about 60. It's posted 45, kid hit the tree doing over 90, in the rain. It about wouldn't matter if there was a free track every 20 miles, some kids are just going to do it regardless.
Not to mention too many "adults" as well.

This story reminded me about the son of a major car dealer in my hometown of Rochester, NY. About 25-30 years ago this supposed adult with the world by the gonads took his brand new Ferarri for a fast ride. Turned out to be a one way ticket to the morgue. Went off a curve about 90 and cut a telephone pole in two about 6' off the ground. He and his passenger were killed instantly.

Stupid. Stupid for anyone, but here was a guy who had damned near all he could imagine and through it all away just that fast. And he took out the poor bastard just along for the ride.
Old 02-08-2004 | 04:15 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Fishey
The kid was 15 years old racing a car he didn't know in a crowded highway? (But he got T-boned I am confused).. Anyways... He didnt know how to drive and was underage. How much does street racing have to do with that?
Are you kidding?

Originally posted by Fishey
He was going fast and he should be accountable for his actions. However to try to give the car racing him manslaughter just seems wrong... I mean how did he effect the situation? He didn't make contact with the mustang. The kid in the mustang had a choice to make "Should I race him" he made the wrong choice..
How about accomlice? How about accessory? How about it takes two?
Old 02-08-2004 | 04:17 PM
Geo
Race Director

I honestly don't know how I will try to deal with all of this when I have kids starting to drive... I can't say "don't drive fast!" without being a total hypocrite myself.
Get over being a hypocrite. Don't you want your kids to learn from your mistakes? Or do you want them to make their own, and perhaps worse?

I think I might get my son(s) into go-karts at a young age to try to teach them how to drive, while also helping them learn that with speed comes responsibilty...
What's wrong with getting daughters into karts? I've seen many. There are some very fast women racers around too.
Old 02-08-2004 | 05:04 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, my daughter is looking forward to getting her permit this summer. I've already informed her that her driver's education will include auto-x, skid pad, and may a de or two before i'm even remotely confident about her driving. She's worried that she won't do well at auto-x, I've told her that I don't really care how she places, just learn to control the car close to the limits and how it reacts. That's worth far more than a trophy to me.
Old 02-08-2004 | 05:19 PM
Geo
Race Director

Dave,

Perhaps something to remind her is how cool a driver's license is and how uncool walking is.

I tell kids this ALL the time. I was very aware of this when I got my license. I was really lucky. My parents didn't exactly give me a car, but around the time I got my license, my mom stopped working and my dad had the first of his heart problems (my driving and my dad's heart problems are not related ). I just happened to be the only driver of one of our cars from that time on. My parents only rarely drove that car again.

More importantly, I lived for my license. I wasn't about to do something stupid to lose it. I liked driving too much to do something stupid to risk it. OK, I admit I did occasionally did something stupid, but not very. Walking is NOT COOL, especially at that age.
Old 02-08-2004 | 06:46 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Silverbullet951
There are no tracks near me. I'd have to drive hours upon hours to get to one. The nearest strip is an hour away, and it sucks.
Lime Rock can't be more than 2 hours away from you. It's my favorite track.
===================================================
Now: to all of you who stated that street racing is better on a deserted road: I say B$%$ Sh#$T! Street racing is not better or safer ANYWHERE! Unless you can 100% guarantee no one else will be on the street, you can't say it's safer on a desserted road. Heck, even us who drive on the track know there's always that freak chance of someone innocent happening upon the track. (Either car, person or animal).

If you're gonna drive hard, do it on the track.
===================================================
Dave951M:
Here's a thought, let's get more tracks built. The reasoning is, most of the kids involved haven't made any reliability modifications. We get them to the tracks, they break, can't afford to fix them, and presto, no more street racing idiots.
Truthfully, I'd rather they stay off the tracks as well, until they get their car in shape, so it's worthy to be on the track. I really don't want to be around a car that's about to loose it's CV Joint or sway bar link while I'm driving 100+.
==================================================
I am glad to see less people coming up with stupid defenses for street racing. Hopefully, the Rennlist community is more mature and wise than to promote and condone such a stupid thing.
-Z-man.
Old 02-08-2004 | 07:07 PM
87Porsche951
Instructor

There was a simular accident that happend here. a HS kid in a Mustang was racing his buddy to school and was going to the street ligth and it was green so tthey floored it and the mustang hs the diviter and rolled the stang. Driver was killed. My sister went to school with him and knew him he wasnt really a freind of hers but she knew him.

I don't think street racing is bad if your smart. I have no problem with people street raciing on a hghway with no other cars around or people in the direction of the inteded race. I do have a problem with people racing on a street with residence even if no one is around cause there is aways the chance of some one running in ront of the car or kids.

im not really into drag racing so much as opening it up on a highway. Seems that the street races that bystandards get hurt is when morons want to race down there block, around schools, and with crowds that stand on the side of the road in the direction of the cars. If your on a highwway well past city limits and the spectators stay behind the race cars and not on the side of the road the only people that will get injured in a event of a wreck is the people racing. Don't have passangers either, nothing would be worst if you wreck and the passengerr dies and you live.
Old 02-08-2004 | 07:28 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 87Porsche951
I don't think street racing is bad if your smart. I have no problem with people street raciing on a hghway with no other cars around or people in the direction of the inteded race. I do have a problem with people racing on a street with residence even if no one is around cause there is aways the chance of some one running in ront of the car or kids.

If your on a highwway well past city limits and the spectators stay behind the race cars and not on the side of the road the only people that will get injured in a event of a wreck is the people racing. Don't have passangers either, nothing would be worst if you wreck and the passengerr dies and you live.
...my thoughts exactly. To say that someone could walk out in front of you on an Interestate or abandoned or not-yet-opened road is a ludicrous argument!

Watch out guys, street racing/highway pulls also might make the sky fall down!!

Quick Reply: Street Racing...still cool?