Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Racing...still cool?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004 | 11:45 AM
Matt H
Race Director

George - I thought the same thing, a whole hour! You can drag race to your hearts content for less than 20 dollars just about anywhere I know of. I spend more than that WORKING at TWS! Add the DE fees, time off from work, etc. all of a sudden 20 bucks is a smoking bargain!
Old 02-07-2004 | 12:02 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

There are no tracks near me. I'd have to drive hours upon hours to get to one. The nearest strip is an hour away, and it sucks.
Old 02-07-2004 | 12:07 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Silverbullet951
There are no tracks near me. I'd have to drive hours upon hours to get to one. The nearest strip is an hour away, and it sucks.
You'd have to drive hours upon hours because the nearest is an hour away?

Gimme a friggin break and stop the bloody whining.
Old 02-07-2004 | 12:09 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

I'm thinking the closest track with turns is hours upon hours away...

BB.
Old 02-07-2004 | 12:15 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by BeerBurner
I'm thinking the closest track with turns is hours upon hours away...

BB.
Oh.

Nevermind.

Actually, then join the group trying to revive The Bridge.

http://www.savethebridge.org/index.php
Old 02-07-2004 | 12:24 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

i am amused by everyone saying how street racing is such a horrible thing, and only recently has it been killing people because of stupid kids racing in traffic. has anyone seen the movie grease? hell, that movie is older then i am, and they were racing in that movie! street racing has been around for nearly as long as cars have been made, so it is not a new phenomena brought on by the fast and the furious.

next i consider street racing a distant second as far as a danger to the road compared to drunk drivers. in high school one of my best friends and his girlfriend were coming home from a date, and approached traffic on the highway. unusual for the time and place. needless to say, he slowed down quickly to avoid rear ending the car in front of him. well, the lady in a van behind then was drunk and plowed into his car, which exploded on impact killing both. the drunk lady was fine, but went to jail for manslaughter. the traffic he was slowing down for was caused by ANOTHER drunk, who had driven up the off ramp and was going the wrong direction on the friggin highway. and all this took place at about 9pm.

i really could care less about kids street racing because of the 10 or 20 people who die from that there are thousands who die from drunk drivers. i personally feel drunk drivers should get there cars impounded and loose there license indefinately or at least for a very considerable amount of time. but the fact of the matter is most people don't care and think they are not drunk or can make it home alright. and the penalties are not even close enough to curb the problem. so when steps are made to keep drunk drivers off the road, then i will say, ok now we can take bigger steps to stop street racing.

i just feel that there are many more problems considerably more dangerous then street racing.
Old 02-07-2004 | 12:38 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by kevin Dubois
i am amused by everyone saying how street racing is such a horrible thing, and only recently has it been killing people because of stupid kids racing in traffic. has anyone seen the movie grease? hell, that movie is older then i am, and they were racing in that movie! street racing has been around for nearly as long as cars have been made, so it is not a new phenomena brought on by the fast and the furious.
I don't think anyone is saying it's a new phenomenon caused by F&F. It's been around a long time and has always been stupid. Still is.
Old 02-07-2004 | 12:43 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Look at the guys from Fuelslut. They race on backwater roads which isn't a danger to anyone except themselves. Not saying it's right but it's better than racing on a damn city street like idiots do around here.
Old 02-07-2004 | 12:44 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Kevin just because more people lose their lives to drunk drivers doesn't make street racing any less dangerous for the participants or the innocent. Unfortunately there are more idiots that think they can drive when drunk, than people street racing. They are both irresponsible and uncalled for. Not to sound difficult here, but tell the mother of the 16 year old there are lots worse things than street racing.
Old 02-07-2004 | 01:55 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Tim,
My heart goes out to the families involved. I saw that story locally the other morning and just added it to the recent street racing tradgedies becoming so common. I have two sons and everytime they leave the house we worry. The 16 year old with the 83 NA is just starting to drive. His first gift will be a DE class at Thunderhill...We hope it helps him realize how fast things can change..even in a controlled environment.

Steve
Old 02-07-2004 | 02:17 PM
Dave
Race Car

George, I didn't know there was any life left in the "save the Bridge" issue. Glad to hear it isn't totally dead yet! I assume that I'm not the only one who needed to be updated on this topic and I think it deserves it's own thread to make sure the word gets out on Rennlist. Since you brought it up, perhaps you would like to "get the word out" as it were...
Old 02-07-2004 | 02:17 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by yieldsign2
944 bad, the linkd oesnt seem to work in your sig.

Hey i thought the story of the kid hitting his mother, happened in the northeast not too long ago.. or a similar situation.
You are correct. I can't remember exactly where, though NY pops into my head for some reason.

Hey brrt... are you refering to the Fuelsluts in central FL? I've never heard of them anywhere else... my friend Sasa was one of the founders... his license was recently suspended, lol.
OOPS!!
Old 02-07-2004 | 03:10 PM
mossy
Instructor

There's just to many idiots on the road to consider racing. I know that's a harsh statement, but even if you're the best driver on the road, they'll always be someone who'll pull out in front of you, step into the road, or just do something that you don't expect.
Sports cars are more capable in all areas than an average family car and it's easy to get a false sense of security by that the performance (acceleration, handling and braking) offers.
I used to drive too fast, and ended up in a ditch a few times, but thankfully never hurt anyone else appart from myself.
I'm now thirty, and those days are behind me, but even at a (relatively) young age I belive that there's too much unpredictible traffic on the road to go overtaking unsuspecting grannies at 120...........
Old 02-07-2004 | 10:58 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

I can understand if you go somewhere "relatively" safe and away from innocent people so that they can't get in your way to do it, but to race ANYBODY that you don't personally know their driving credentials and how they take care of their car and their demeanor is stupid beyond belief. If I am in a deserted place and go 120mph and back down to near the speed limit, that's one thing....to do it with someone who could potentially try to wreck me after I win or lose control of his car or have a poorly maintained car that tears up and hits mine for some reason is insane.

I was thinking that FL was one state where the kid had killed his mom and that they were one of the first to make street racing a felony. And now that it is.....check your laws before you do it. How would you feel about going to prison just because you wanted to show up some ricer and the cops saw you? Not me!!!!!

I guess I'm lucky if I wanted to drag. The Bristol Dragstrip (yes, the same one that the pros run on) is right here less than 10 miles away and for $10 you can run the track all night on like Tuesday and Thursday nights in the warmer months and you can have riders if the speed is under a certain amount going down the track. They also make it a place to cruise and hang out in the parking lots there as several places in the towns here really cracked down on the cruisers.
Old 02-07-2004 | 11:01 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Last year at least 6 people died in car accidents at my highschool. None of them were races, but they were all driving way to fast. 2 of them were my friends. After you've seen a car wrapped around a tree 5 feet in the air, and you've seen your friend's mangled body, come back and tell me if one hour is too damn far to drive safely.

Drive stupid, die fast.

Quick Reply: Street Racing...still cool?