Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Racing...still cool?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004 | 01:57 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

There is a special on tomorrow night, 9pm EST on Discovery channel about street racing. Looks interesting.

Its amazing, the only shows i watch on TV anymore are all on Discovery, Monster Garage, American Chopper and Mythbusters.
Old 02-09-2004 | 02:14 AM
87Porsche951
Instructor

I would like to know where you live that theres a blind corner on a freeway. lol

and i would also like to state that if it werent for "Stupid" people who street race than we wouldnt have racing at all because Autoracing started life as street racing and there are wasy to organize a safe street race.

Id also like to state that there will always be street racing as long as there are roads and vehicles. There is no one that can stop it from happening. They can fight it or prevent it but it wil always happen.

I lived in California and never seen any imagrants run across a highway with traffic and im sure when a loud *** car is heading there way they will hear it and move there *** out the way. If there *** can run fast enough to not get caught by Border Patrol then they can make it across a street in timely manner.

I also race on Route 66 ocasionally because it runs right into my city. (Albuquerque) and goign towrds Pheonic there is 30 miles of straight road with nothing around. (no sudden sharp bling corners either) LOL!
Old 02-09-2004 | 02:27 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Oh you are lucky... you have the origninal Route 66... the one I was refering to is in northern VA. The first six miles aren't used that much, and at certain times of they day you won't see a single car. The large grass divider in the center only has one "cop stop" that can't be seen well over a mile away, and that one is near the start

Enjoy Route 66... it's a classic road!
Old 02-09-2004 | 02:47 AM
tchandler
Instructor

Street racing and Smart? Isn't that an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp. I'll bet all the young punks are the ones trying to justify street racing as ok..."if your smart?" I can only hope I can keep my kids away from idiots like this.
Old 02-09-2004 | 08:43 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by 87Porsche951
I would like to know where you live that theres a blind corner on a freeway. lol
I live in Houston. On Beltway 8 (for those who know it), one night I came around a blind corner that was also a crest of a slight hill, and there in the middle of the road was....something......

I didn't have time to figure it out or even see if I could change lanes. It was a fork from a forklift, lying on its side. It literally broke 2 wheels.

Yeah, freeways can have blind corners.

Keep racing on a real track where it belongs.
Old 02-09-2004 | 09:52 AM
mossy
Instructor

You can't account for stuff like that. The only thing that you can do is minimize the risk.
There used to be a load of guys who turned up every Thursday to drag race at an abandoned road near where I live. As soon as word got around it wasn't long before there was a hundred cars turning up every week, parked up down the road and drag racing down the centre.
After that came the abandoned upturned cars (on fire) the Police and the weekly accidents.
On top of all that, there was some guy who turned up every week in a tuned Lotus Esprit. There's no point racing against that if you've got something to prove, is there?
I don't have a really strong opinion about street racers. It's always going to happen and nothing that any of us say will make any difference. From a personal point of view, I just want to stay away from areas where it's happening because when they do have an accident (not "if") I don't want to get caught up in it.
Old 02-09-2004 | 10:45 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Id also like to state that there will always be street racing as long as there are roads and vehicles. There is no one that can stop it from happening. They can fight it or prevent it but it wil always happen.
I woudl also like to state that there will always be murder, rape, and terrorism. You can do nothing to stop it from happening. They can fight it or prevent it but it will always happen.

does that make it right?
Old 02-09-2004 | 05:45 PM
87Porsche951
Instructor

I find it amusing that some of you people knock street racing and say its stupid and such but as soon as someone posts there street racing video clips, everyone is quickly downloading them & praising the driver on what a good job they did spanking that car and tell them to post more of them. Atleast the people who street racing admit they do it even if its not often. How can you flame it and argue that its stupid if your one of the people who is downloading the clips of people doing it. Your just helping the activity by fueling there need to do it more often so they can post it on the net for your viewing pleasure!

Old 02-09-2004 | 06:09 PM
Geo
Race Director

I find it amusing that some of you people knock street racing and say its stupid and such but as soon as someone posts there street racing video clips, everyone is quickly downloading them & praising the driver on what a good job they did spanking that car and tell them to post more of them.
Everyone?

Uh, I don't think so Tim.......

Certainly not me. In fact, if it were up to me, that thead would have been closed and sent to never never land.

How can you flame it and argue that its stupid if your one of the people who is downloading the clips of people doing it.
I'm not. Flame on Torch!

Your just helping the activity by fueling there need to do it more often so they can post it on the net for your viewing pleasure!
It's childish and stupid.

Now, later this year I expect to be posting videos. But they will be in a real race car on a real track (I just got a mini DV camera).
Old 02-09-2004 | 06:27 PM
87Porsche951
Instructor

My name is not Tim and dont be a *** by missnaming me you either call me by my real name and if you dont know my name ask. Don't be a dick!

And yes we all race fake cars, we mod Power Wheels and thats what we all race in. Damn, i hope i dont kill anyone crashing at a blistering 5MPH. watch out the street racers coming, all the immagrants run quick dive for safety. ohh no i think theres a suddent unexpected sharp corner coming up i hope no ones in the middle of the road in the middle of no where.

2004 Mattel Big Foot Power Wheel
Quad 12V Optima Battery
Racing Battery Cables
Industrial 20.3HP Electric Motor Swap
Kolken Racing Wing
Neon Lights
NOS Sticker & APC Windshield Banner

Thats what im running anybody else fake car have a simular setup?
Old 02-09-2004 | 06:30 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

My name is not Tim and dont be a *** by missnaming me you either call me by my real name and if you dont know my name ask. Don't be a dick!
go watch Home Improvement, specifically the "Tool Time" parts of the show

And yes we all race fake cars, you mod Power Wheels and thats what we all race in. Damn, i hope i dont kill anyone crashing at a blistering 5MPH. watch out the street racers coming, all the immagrants run quick dive for safety. ohh no i think theres a suddent unexpected sharp corner coming up i hope no ones in the middle of the road in the middle of no where.
I have NO idea what you're talking about here. Coherence anyone?
Old 02-09-2004 | 06:38 PM
87Porsche951
Instructor

iloveporsches, he said he will be racing in a real race car on a real track. meaning he is implying people race fake cars.
Old 02-09-2004 | 06:40 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

He said real RACE cars. There is a huge difference between something some kid built to race on the street, and something setup soley for the track.
Old 02-09-2004 | 06:41 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Implying there is a difference between a real race car and a street car "raced" down the highway or for that matter a street car raced on a track.

Not that it matter but for the record the guy you are arguing with has run many races (not DE's, though I am sure he has done a few of those), shares a Sentra ITS car and is about 50% done with a 944 ITS car.
Old 02-09-2004 | 06:49 PM
87Porsche951
Instructor

lol, So him racing regualry makes him a expect on why its stupid to street race? i dont think so. Im glad he races on a track good for him but that has nothing to do with any of this. What i have stated is just my opinion and everyone has a right to there own opinion as do I.

Some people cant afford to build a all out race car so they settle for a abandoned road thats in the middle of no where. Others have the funds to build a race car and travel to tracks and race.

To each his/her own....

Quick Reply: Street Racing...still cool?