Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The (very long) story of my AMW rebuild experience.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 10:35 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Tom R.
because he kept saying to himself this shouold be the last $100/500/1000 for a long time. Happens to the best of us.

I was driving home today and my wife commented on the fact that almost four months passed without a single car related problem. My buddy is dumping his very clean 97 A6 with 60k miles because it needs seals that were replaced once under warranty, a head gasket, etc. it reminded him too much of his dads 944 and current 928. he is picking up a new TL in a few weeks. He learned from other peoples experiences, both good (his with his five Zxs, my six RX7s, my Legend Coupes, his parents lexus) and bad (my porsche, his dads porsches, his audi, his inlaws audis, his parents MBs, his inlaws MBs, and his brother in laws BMW).
Tom, you're a good guy and we've had some good conversations here but I gotta say this is getting on my nerves. It seems like every post of yours anymore is about how much money you had to spend on your car or how everyone you know with a Porsche has had nothing but problems. You had some bad luck but not everyone has. My old 85.5 never gave me any major trouble at all. Any problems it had were my fault. The current S2 of mine is pretty solid. I know a lot of local Porsche guys who also have had zero problems.
If you really feel that 944's are unreliable money pits I think you've made your point. Let it go, ok?

Still friends?
Old 01-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Flight_951
Pro

Hmm, maybe AMW really stands for Aggravation Motor Works?
Old 01-17-2004, 11:03 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Pete,
My brother has about 110k on the 84 he bought 2 1/2 years ago with 34k for 7200. other than scheduled maintenance nothing has been done. Dave saw the car shortly after he bought it, and can attest to its condition when he bought it. i have dibs on it when he gets something else.

i often wonder how much less i would have gotten if i didnt drop 6k into the car right before it was stolen. nobody could talk me out of spending the money though!

there are two kinds of people. there are the people that look at a future repair and factor it into the cost of ownership. the others are chickens like my buddy that just give up and get rid of the car because they fear something else will go wrong (he told me all my problems were because i autocrossed the car, and he is much more knowledgeable about cars than most people). i did the math for him, and it would have been about 150+ a month less to keep his car for the next few years. with a four year old it made perfect sense to me not to crap up a brand new car. his reply was the qauattro system may go. until then no car was worth owning if it didnt have all wheel drive. something very necessary on the flatlands of long island!

if you want to put gas and oil in a car and just drive, buy a japanese car. like r&t said about the camry. it does nothing great, nothing bad, everything good. then there are drivers cars, which require a little more TLC, and pricier parts.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:05 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Tom, I gotta agree with Pete.

If they were that freakin' bad, why are you still interested in getting one, and hanging out on this forum? Make up your mind.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:36 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by tifosiman
Tom, I gotta agree with Pete.

If they were that freakin' bad, why are you still interested in getting one, and hanging out on this forum? Make up your mind.
maybe im a masochist? maybe i wasnt ready to get rid of mine? maybe there isnt much to do watching an 11 month old sleep and the questions here are better than on the mullet board? maybe its fun watching you jump down my throat at everything i say? maybe i enjoy hanging out with the PCA guys at the autocrosses, and want a car for DEs, and dont want to scratch the beautiful paint on the mullet (solid axle).

BTW i shuld be in your neighborhood again in may. thats if you consider beautiful downtown covington your neighborhood.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:43 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't jump down your throat at every thing you say. Don't bother coming to my neck of the woods based upon that comment.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

which comment?
Old 01-17-2004, 11:58 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

uh oh... its Porsche PMS... now now gentlemen...
Old 01-18-2004, 12:26 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

maybe im a masochist? maybe i wasnt ready to get rid of mine? maybe there isnt much to do watching an 11 month old sleep and the questions here are better than on the mullet board? maybe its fun watching you jump down my throat at everything i say? maybe i enjoy hanging out with the PCA guys at the autocrosses, and want a car for DEs, and dont want to scratch the beautiful paint on the mullet (solid axle)
Tom, ..Tom listen, hurry up and get another 944 so you can pick up where you left off. Your mullet with the unscratched paint job isn't giving you any satisfaction. You know it as we all can see this. You think 944's have flaws it aint nothing compared to the mega bucks Ferrari's. Yet there are millions of drivers willing to give an arm and leg for the chance to own a Ferrari which will spend most of it's life in the garage and drain entire life savings. There's nothing like a well maintained 944 swinging it out on the street and track. So let's get rock and rolling here give us a shout when you found your new 944 OK?
Old 01-18-2004, 12:57 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

the others are chickens like my buddy that just give up and get rid of the car because they fear something else will go wrong (he told me all my problems were because i autocrossed the car, and he is much more knowledgeable about cars than most people).

And

his reply was the qauattro system may go.
Hi Tom-

Your friend is knowledgeable about cars???? AX was not the source of the problems with your car, if so, my S2 would have given up the ghost long ago from AX. And the comment about the quattro system going??? That is the least of the problems with Audis. Electrics and other stuff, yeah, but the quattro system in the car is just about as bullet proof as bullet proof gets.

Trying to convince someone about the pragamatism of a 944 (or any car that requires some work but returns the money spent every time behind the wheel) is usually wasted breath.

Peace,
Old 01-18-2004, 01:13 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Sorry guys my testimony: Months ago I agreed to have AMW convert my 88 NA to a turbo. We decided on a 2.7 engine with K26 to be able to get the HP (when needed) without alot of extras. You can search on the topic and find my post with pixs.

I drive the car to work everyday and run it at the highspeed road course here in SoCal. John (AMW) has supplied all the oil changes, tuning, track support, etc. to make the car right at no charge (NC). He even added the turbo oil cooler after our Willow event to help with oil temp again installed at no charge (NC). I bought the Aux unit from Paragon and John (AMW) did a flawless custom install at minimal costs.

I don't have a problem and it was all under $8K. I'd say I have at least 1,200+miles on the car. No problems!!!
Old 01-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Flight_951
Hmm, maybe AMW really stands for Aggravation Motor Works?
I was going with Alotta Money Wasted
Old 01-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom, Pete, Tifo, Play nice!
My theory is that Tom's still trying to convince himself that the mullet makes him happy
JK, Tom, mostly...I do have to say that I have no idea what the point of that second post was.
On that note, December was the first calendar month of 2003 in which my car did not visit a mechanic. It went in last January and stayed through May or June, then it went back every couple weeks into September, I dropped it off again towards the end of October for the oil pump and it stayed there into November. No shop visits in December, and while it needs a couple things now, I'll do it myself if possible.

New Years Resolution; get back into doing some of my own wrenching!

David, As I stated in your "monster" thread, I'm glad you had a good experience. I think the biggest difference is that your car was in his shop and he had no choice but to do it and do it right. From across the country he can throw some discards together, put it on a pallet, ship it out, promise to make things right and then forget about it. You left the price out of that other thread, My first conversation with John actually involved another option, I was thinking that if I put a little more cash into it and end up with something better than stock I would not be against the idea (remember, I didn't see the point of putting more than $5000-5500 into a NA that might go for ~$7000 when I was done, spending more and having a beast of an NA was worth considering), "Option D" was "Spend up to ~$7000 on a "larger" motor and then drop another thousand into the suspension and brakes to make the car competitive in a higher class.
'Option D' was quickly ruled out due to cost, John suggested a 2.8l for ~$8000 plus shipping, plus send back the core, and I would still be looking at a couple thousand for installation and more for dyno time to tune it, around $12k total, and this didn't leave anything in the budget for suspension and brakes.
You can imagine how annoyed I am to have spent almost as much for a 2.5 that might put out an extra 10 HP, and then to find out that a 2.7 TURBO CONVERSION went for LESS!?! I may actually regret dealing with AMW MORE now!
Old 01-18-2004, 07:18 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Interesting stuff, indeed, Dave. I can see your end on wanting to simply upgrade the car you had. But dude, I won't tippy-toe around what this is- a ROYAL fisting; ELBOW DEEP! You're right, man. It seems like he just tossed a buncha throw-away crap on a pallet and sent it out. Outta sight, outta mind??

I work for Pappas Restaurants here in Houston. Anyone who's local (or in Phoenix, Denver, Atlanta, Dallas, Austin, or Chicago for that matter) know their success. Customer service is the NUMBER ONE priority for our company. How else can people justify dropping 12 bucks of some ****ing enchiladas?? GOOD SERVICE. And, no it's not the same as a tuning shop bizz, but good service is good service. Period. WERE this guy concerned about your delimma and wanting your business, methinks we'd have seen SOME sort of reconciliation on his part. I just have a hard time getting my brain around the idea of a company that offers a service and does not act grateful for the business. And we all know what's said about action...

Dave, I think what annoys me the most about your story isn't the unshipped/ late shipped bull****. It's the LIES. Fresh outta the race trailer, my narrow ***. This alone violates one of my golden rules (imparted to me by my dad when I was still a ****-up)- Do WHAT you say you're going to do WHEN you say you're going to do it. You truly are a patient man, Dave.

Keep the faith, Tom. Long live The Tire- Smoking Mullet, bro!

Last edited by TaylorSea4; 01-22-2004 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree Taylor. It is interesting that Mr. Anderson chooses not to respond. You certainly removed any sugar coating that might have lingered on this horrible story.

Quick Reply: The (very long) story of my AMW rebuild experience.