Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Nine - Program 944

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 08:35 AM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a shot of one of the newest pieces of Woodward Fab equipment to hit the studio floor, the Woodward Fab WFB2 tubing bender.

This is the first project I plan to work on with this beauty, the Project Nine 944 harness bar. A simple, robust design.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:26 AM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

The project had a fair setback today unfortunately. Apparently, my initial prototype molds fell out of shape before or during layup of the prototype vents that, in turn, the production molds were made from. Thankfully, I checked fitment before spending more time on the production molds or laying the first production run.

On a positive note, I retained the initial molds, can affix them to the chassis, and add support before staring the process of making prototypes again.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:38 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 345 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Project Nine
The project had a fair setback today unfortunately. Apparently, my initial prototype molds fell out of shape before or during layup of the prototype vents that, in turn, the production molds were made from. Thankfully, I checked fitment before spending more time on the production molds or laying the first production run.

On a positive note, I retained the initial molds, can affix them to the chassis, and add support before staring the process of making prototypes again.
Project Nine; Where are you located in Mid-west
Thx, Tom
Old 06-27-2018, 10:23 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Here's a shot of one of the newest pieces of Woodward Fab equipment to hit the studio floor, the Woodward Fab WFB2 tubing bender.

This is the first project I plan to work on with this beauty, the Project Nine 944 harness bar. A simple, robust design.
I have practically the same bender only by Pro Tools-

Do you have a bending software...?
What die set did you select...?

Whole world of possibilities with this tool, trouble is, you end up have more ideas than time...

BTW - trust me on this, you will never regret it.
Go download and install TubeMiter - http://www.ozhpv.org.au/files/tubemiter.exe
Basically, it's a small size program that allows you to print actual sized pattern that you tape to your tube to remove unwanted metal that results in a perfect tube to tube fit.
Any tube, any wall thickness, any diameter, any angle.

Way less waste.

T
Old 06-30-2018, 09:41 AM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 951and944S
I have practically the same bender only by Pro Tools-

Do you have a bending software...?
What die set did you select...?

Whole world of possibilities with this tool, trouble is, you end up have more ideas than time...

BTW - trust me on this, you will never regret it.
Go download and install TubeMiter - http://www.ozhpv.org.au/files/tubemiter.exe
Basically, it's a small size program that allows you to print actual sized pattern that you tape to your tube to remove unwanted metal that results in a perfect tube to tube fit.
Any tube, any wall thickness, any diameter, any angle.

Way less waste.

T
Well, that's a great little app! Thanks T!
I haven't had the time to research any other apps or to give the bender a test drive. The first die set purchased was the 1.5" for 0.120 wall. Next I'll grab a 1.75" for use with 0.90 wall and cage work.

In addition to the bender I grabbed one of these beauties:

Again, I haven't had the time to play with it at all. What type of notcher do you use?
Old 06-30-2018, 09:49 AM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

A pic of the prototype vents and the production molds before they hit the trash can. I'll affix the prototype molds to the fenders and glass in a ridgeback stiffener before laying up a new set of prototypes.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:00 AM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

This is a project I'm excited to get underway and haven't shared with anyone yet.

How about carbon fiber aero covers for our flag style side mirrors?

These will get foamed and bodyworked along with the widebody flares.

As for installation... The plan is to slide the covers on and use silicon to adhere them to our flag housings.
The following users liked this post:
Dwizle (02-17-2021)
Old 06-30-2018, 10:24 AM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

Those that have been following will notice that the original Project Nine Program 944 development chassis ( Guards Red '86) has been replaced by a '85 that used to be Guards Red. I picked this chassis up a few weeks ago and decided to cut it instead of the other. It's a mostly rust free '44 from South Carolina. This chassis will eventually become our Project Nine vented fender narrow body.

The previous chassis, used for prototyping the top side fender vents will become the widebodied P9 944...with an LS swap?? Hummmm

The front end design is still up in the air. I don't know whether I'll make a full nose or a large fascia piece as illustrated hat would rivet to the existing N/A nose.
Thoughts?
Old 06-30-2018, 03:24 PM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

The widebody flares in development...

Old 06-30-2018, 03:43 PM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

Ok everyone, I need some input. How much lower than stock should I make the widebody? It's between 1.5" and 2.0", I'm leaning toward 1.5" so a lowered car will remain streetable. The side skirts on my Widerstandsfahig 004 build pictured in post #7 are about an inch lower than stock and the ride height has not been changed from factory settings. Using it as a gauge, I think another 0.5" lower on the skirts is doable and with a 1-1.5" suspension drop it would be perfect.

What are your thoughts?

Old 06-30-2018, 09:28 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Well, that's a great little app! Thanks T!
I haven't had the time to research any other apps or to give the bender a test drive. The first die set purchased was the 1.5" for 0.120 wall. Next I'll grab a 1.75" for use with 0.90 wall and cage work.

In addition to the bender I grabbed one of these beauties:

Again, I haven't had the time to play with it at all. What type of notcher do you use?
When you tape the pattern from tubemiter onto a tube, you'll quickly see that a notcher is a waste of time and money (hole saw costs).
I use a 4" Metabo with .040 thick cut off wheel, make 4 diagonal cuts and finish shape up to my pattern with a 1/4" die grinder and carbide drum.

That's the same die set I use, depending on which radius you picked.
Good benders, good results.
If you didn't get a tube bending software, I might be able to share mine.
You can make the piece in a virtual confinement of your space and verify that it fits before the 1st bend......, saves waste.
You wanna adjust for closer proximity to a fixed point, stretch a straight run or open a bend 1-2 deg and verify again.
I couldn't do a cage without it.

T
Old 06-30-2018, 09:33 PM
951and944S
Race Car

On the wide body, you just as soon make it class legal for Porsche Club Racing...., would open up more potential buyers.

Rule states, "not to extend more than 1" beyond factory rockers".

Being that the 944T haw the additional +1-2" which are legal to run, I'd say your +1.5 lower to ground is fine.

What I did was dropped a plumb bob from door sill to ground for wideness as the top of the metal rocker is 1-3/4-2" wider than the very bottom of rocker.

T
Old 06-30-2018, 10:10 PM
951and944S
Race Car

I have a proposition for you, if you want to discuss, email is 944t1 at *** dot net.

T
Old 07-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Dominicandude
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about those project 9 decals?? 💪🏽
Old 07-01-2018, 01:25 PM
Dominicandude
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a project I'm excited to get underway and haven't shared with anyone yet.

How about carbon fiber aero covers for our flag style side mirrors?

These will get foamed and bodyworked along with the widebody flares.

As for installation... The plan is to slide the covers on and use silicon to adhere them to our flag housings.
im VERY interested in these as well as the brake and radiator Res cover. Any future plans for possibly a more stock looking or nicer design Carbon fiber 951 and NA air intake box? I currently have a HOT air intake 😂 so if I’m going to buy a new one might as well get a nice one lol

Quick Reply: Project Nine - Program 944