Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Nine - Program 944

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 09:10 AM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Comments.....?

I like it, I like it all, creative and different, some of the features are borrowed from track mods that are proven to work.

A couple of points since you asked for feedback while ongoing.

The top fender vents....very bad in rain conditions.
Not only do you get bombarded by extra water mist on the windshield, but it's also muddy, road grime water, hard for the wiper to clear.
That said, it DOES look like your design is intended to take the flow over the fender and down the side of the car...?
A simple lip between the hood and fender would just about guarantee this.

The rear deck/roof valence...., unless there's data to show me otherwise, this piece will cause detachment of the normal flow over the roof and to the factory rear wing.
If the piece was (for lack of a better word) corrugated with high guides and low channels, I could see it as focusing air flow to the wing.

Some ideas I am working on currently......, would be great to see your design talent and take them if you want,

I like the fender recesses you show already, they are functional and proven to work in aiding front downforce with splitters and dive planes.
My idea is to incorporate a barge board that should further guide air alongside the car and above a side rocker.

To the second thing, rockers that are very close to the ground at a car ride height 1-2" lower than stock and that extend outward a few inches like a shelf as far as race class rules allow.
All air flow from canards at front, barge board directed excavation from front wheel wells (or your vent design) and strategic vortex generators should remain above this shelf

Good stuff, appreciate you showing it,

T
T, Thank you for the input! Love the barge board idea.

As for the hatch valence, it is not intended for those that are after an increase in rear downforce. However, as you eluded to, I believe if the relationship between the pitch of the valence and the height of a rear wing were coordinated...well, we may be on to something.

Looking forward to more of your input along the way!

-Brian
Old 06-02-2018, 09:24 AM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Robert_325i
Great work Brian. I suggest setting the vents in the fender in rather than having them stick out like that. Im not sure if thats the final design or not. Take a look at the new GT3 RS fender vents to get an idea of what I am talking about.

Yeah Robert, the GT3 fenders are incredibly sexy.
Laying up the carbon to make the interior vanes of the vent would be a challenge and would likely make the product cost prohibitive. I do have some thoughts on how to pull it off, in limited quantity, on a "special project"
Old 06-02-2018, 09:34 AM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bluejays42
For the over fenders, will there be an example where it wraps all the way around and doesn't end in the back? So like a rocket bunny style that would look good without the open and over fenders combined?
Blue, if you are referring to flaring the entire wheel arch, then the answer is no. Because GT Racing, IFC, Broadfoot, and myself with Widerstandsfahig offer a complete flare, I will not with Project Nine.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:45 AM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

Here is where the project stood when I left the studio Thursday evening...
The final shape of the vents is complete and the layup of the prototype molds has begun.

Once complete, I'll make the prototype vents with these molds that can then be bodyworked and used as bucks for the final production tooling.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 06-02-2018, 01:04 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice..., I never really have a need or intention to replicate anything I make, all of my stuff are one-offs, and for the ones I need R + L, making molds doesn’t pay anyway.

I usually just shape my parts with closed cell foam, worked with all kinds of sanding tools, then I cover the piece with green masking tape, a light smear of rubbed on release material and lay cloth with epoxy or polyester depending on whether it will affix to an already existing fibreglass part.

The more complicated the bodywork gets, the more complicated it is to repair when there's inevitable contact but moving up a class with my latest car, the cars take advantage of aero so if you aren't exploring this, you are at a disadvantage.

Again, great stuff so far, thanks for sharing, it's a privilege to see your work and imagination,

T
Old 06-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

Alright, back in the studio after a road trip to Lexington over the weekend. As usual, I-65 through Indiana was a train wreck, highlighted by the pot holes of the capital, Indianapolis. While I haven't had the "pleasure" to visit the rest areas in a majority of states, I can say Indiana's are a disgrace and the worst I've visited. Our elected officials should be embarrassed by them, I certainly was.

The progress...
Both top side fender vent prototype molds are complete. Today, I'll pull them off the car and start preparing them for making the prototype vents.

You may notice the black carbon fiber threads in the resin. The threads were stuck on my glove from another project...

The above image is of the prototype brake fluid reservoir dress-up cover. I've also made a mold for a coolant expansion tank cover. Our Instagram followers may recognize the project.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:45 PM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

I had an opportunity to get away from the studio and visit one of Project Nine's sponsors, Woodward Fab. It was a perfect day for a drive and an even better day to make new friends!
Here's a shot of myself with Phil Heck, President of Woodward Fab and Heck Industries.

It's refreshing to deal with a family owned company, still based in mid-west, that believes in producing quality equipment and actually stands behind the products they sell. These are the type of people and companies I'm proud to partner with. Look for more great things from Woodward Fab and Project Nine in the future!
Old 06-09-2018, 12:10 AM
Project Nine
Former Vendor

The prototype mold removal.

...and after cleaning and waxing the molds, the prototype topside fender vents are laid up.

If you are wondering, yes, the vents are sealed on the bottom because this is only the prototype or "plug" needed to make the production molds.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:06 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 345 Likes on 274 Posts

Project Nine, this is great work. Can you make a naca duct in right side headlight cover for a remote located oil cooler?
Old 06-09-2018, 05:04 PM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no opinion on most of the renderings, except they look way cool. I am not your target market for most of this stuff - my exterior mods are limited to 968 mirrors /door handles /hatch, but I can appreciate the look you are aiming for. However - I am really interested in the hatch valance - not so much for aero benefit or style points, but as a mechanism to aid / prevent hatch delamination - or at least reduce the possibility of leakage in the event of delamination.

How would you anticipate this part being attached to the hatch? Removal of side trim and use a couple of those tiny bolts? Or some sort of mount using the hatch hinge bolts? Any thought of including any sort of weatherstrip on the valance? Possibility of replacing the CHMSL with a LED strip in the trailing edge of the valance?

I had a 2nd gen golf GTI a while back and they had a hatch spoiler with the LED strip for the CHMSL. Really updated the look. The golf hatch valance came with built in bolts and the hatch glass had pre-drilled holes, so it was simple to attach. Not sure if any of that is relevant here.

Malcolm
Old 06-12-2018, 01:14 PM
benchod
Intermediate

I wonder what this would look like with rear louvers???
Old 06-15-2018, 10:51 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by bumflick
I have no opinion on most of the renderings, except they look way cool. I am not your target market for most of this stuff - my exterior mods are limited to 968 mirrors /door handles /hatch, but I can appreciate the look you are aiming for. However - I am really interested in the hatch valance - not so much for aero benefit or style points, but as a mechanism to aid / prevent hatch delamination - or at least reduce the possibility of leakage in the event of delamination.

How would you anticipate this part being attached to the hatch? Removal of side trim and use a couple of those tiny bolts? Or some sort of mount using the hatch hinge bolts? Any thought of including any sort of weatherstrip on the valance? Possibility of replacing the CHMSL with a LED strip in the trailing edge of the valance?

I had a 2nd gen golf GTI a while back and they had a hatch spoiler with the LED strip for the CHMSL. Really updated the look. The golf hatch valance came with built in bolts and the hatch glass had pre-drilled holes, so it was simple to attach. Not sure if any of that is relevant here.

Malcolm

I'd def buy that piece
Old 06-15-2018, 10:54 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bumflick

Malcolm
Originally Posted by Project Nine
...and then there was Anqui Design!

So very pleased, and not to mention fortunate, to have such talent onboard with the project. It's quite an improvement from my pencil sketches I have to admit. Hahaha

You would prob find ppl beating down your door for the rear hatch Valance/spoiler since to might provide a fix for many a 944 owner including me... Nice pencil drawing btw that's talent..
Old 06-16-2018, 09:24 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 345 Likes on 274 Posts
Default Project Nine PM sent

Hi, sent Project Nine a PM. Thx, Tom
Old 06-20-2018, 02:15 PM
EJnMN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dwizle

I'd def buy that piece