Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denver Area 951 Mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 03:39 PM
chouwalker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denver Area 951 Mechanic

I have an '86 951 with 59K miles on it. I want to get the timing belt replaced. I also have what I think is a lifter noise that I want to get fixed.

Can anyone recommend a good 951 mechanic in the Denver, Colorado area to do this work? Are there any shops I should avoid?

What should I expect to pay for a timing belt replacement?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:14 PM
chouwalker
Advanced

Has anyone tried a place called Stuttgart West in Englewood, CO?
Old 01-02-2004, 02:09 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by chouwalker
Has anyone tried a place called Stuttgart West in Englewood, CO?
I work in the same area as Stuttgart and Motorsport Inc. I've never had any maintenance done at Stuttgart, but they did quality body work after I got hit last year. I recommend Motorsport for maintenance though, it's a Porsche only shop (Stuttgart isn't, and Motorsport is right down the street from it). Pat and Ken are good guys, and they do excellent work. Since I work near them I drop by often, they know me pretty well. They're right on the corner of Yale and Tejon. Phone: (303) 922-3560

If you go there tell them I (Matt Alvord) recommended them to you, my car is over there right now actually.

Old 01-02-2004, 02:37 PM
thf944
Racer

keep in mind there is stuttgart west and stuttgart autobody. both are on dartmouth just a few blocks from each other.

stuttgart west is a porsche/audi/and i think mercedes shop

stuttgart autobody is a body shop that works on high-end cars, seems like a lot of german makes.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:33 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by thf944
keep in mind there is stuttgart west and stuttgart autobody. both are on dartmouth just a few blocks from each other.

stuttgart west is a porsche/audi/and i think mercedes shop

stuttgart autobody is a body shop that works on high-end cars, seems like a lot of german makes.
Right, but i'm pretty sure they're under the same ownership.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:05 PM
JR Reed
Advanced

Give True Blue (or maybe its blue ribbon?) Imports a call. Airport (buckley) and 6th ave. Lots of 944/51's in his lot and did a great job for me on Tbelt.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:23 PM
chouwalker
Advanced

JR Reed - What did True Blue charge to replace the timing belt on your 944/951?
Old 01-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Richard Lang
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's called Blue Moon Imports off buckley ( Airport Blvd.) if we are talking about the same shop. never had work done by him but have talked with the owner many times .

Richard
Old 01-02-2004, 09:10 PM
thf944
Racer

Originally posted by mouse
Right, but i'm pretty sure they're under the same ownership.
its just details, not trying to be a pain or anything, but i used to work for stuttgart west. it was owned by george rhoades when i worked there. then joe angrisani bought it from george. unless joe sold it within the last few months it has never been associated with stuttgart autobody, although they have done work for stuttgart west and it was very good.

i think stuttgart west is a good place for maintenance and repair, but for performance maybe somewhere else would be better. (although they did a good job modifying an 89 951 with powerhaus goodies, boy was it fast!) i worked with/for joe, sean and damian at stuttgart west before and they are good guys. like someone told me before, they just don't seem to be enthusiasts anymore, its more like a job. i trusted them with my belts/rollers/waterpump/seals a while back and it was great. they also did my clutch, replaced it with a spring center one instead of the rubber. everything was done in a timely manner and priced very well. they've also worked on my vdubs too.

i haven't heard of blue moon imports, but i'll have to check it out, its close to where i live, and i should be driving a 944 again very soon!
Old 01-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok. here's my .02 but I'm biased cuz I worked for them for a while. go to Stevinson Imports on Broadway. Ask for Todd Rigg to work on your car. he's a damn good mechanic. tells you what you need to know, when you need to know it (ASAP). I have him do everything that I can't. it's a dealership, so it will be slightly more pricey, but you can rest assured that Todd has attended EVERY school Porsche puts out for techs. he's certified to work on ANY Porsche and was the personal mechanic of someone who once owned a 959. when it comes to electronics, Todd can find the problem in minutes. Incredibly good tech.

Not to mention, if you have work done at a dealer, with factory parts, you have a 1 year warranty on the work.

the extra cost of the dealership is worth it IMHO
Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as for Stuttgart auto body, they do DAMN good work, however they are REALLY expensive. I scratched a Jag while working at Stevinson, they sent it there and it took $700.00 out of my paycheck. but you couldn't tell.

Yeah, it was a REALLY deep scratch....through to the bare metal.
Also, I think it was Todd Helton's Jag (I know it was one of the rockies...don't know which one though)

Quick Reply: Denver Area 951 Mechanic