Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "NEW" 944

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 04:44 AM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Granite 944
Freeker, IF YOU REALLY DO LIKE/LOVE THAT CAR, THAN YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!

What the Hell!.......ya just got started off on the wrong foot! No big figgin deal!

You must not have been watching this forum at all, or very little before you jumped in with this post. Otherwise, you would have known that you were probably going to open a can of worms. No Big Deal! Now.....ya wanna learn more about PORSCHES in a way that you cannot even begin to imagine yet? If so, hang around, don't be scared off! I'm 49 years old, lots of mechanical/driving/modding/just plain living experience, and I'm here to tell you that this forum is where you WILL find the best and most knowledgable people about these cars than you'll learn on your own, or find anywhere in the world, with more compassion and comraderie than should probably even be LEGAL! And just so you know, this site has a very large group of under 25yr olds in it. I've learned more from this site about my 944 in 6 months than I thought was even remotely possible. HANG AROUND! WE ALL STEP IN IT FROM TIME TO TIME. You just got the first one out of the way right off the bat. You MUST realize that "hotshots" get shot down, and B.S. is called!
By the way......WELCOME TO RENNLIST!
Exactly !
Old 01-03-2004, 05:14 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Good one Granite 944. I think we all need to start taking on this attitude. Objective, not Subjective. If he is a Troll, he'll get board with all the Mr. Rodgers neighborly advice stuff and leave, flaming will just encourage him to stay. I don't think he's a troll, perhaps mildly exagerative, but who am I to judge. We might lose a chance to welcome a potential member to the fold, not to mention educate someone. Freeker, hopefully your still around and reading. Not all of us are as jaided as the rest. Heck, I'll probably get flamed for this, but I still pronounce it Porsh, mostly because I know it ticks a few people off and my blood preasure has better things to worry about than pronunciation. Besides i'm not a Porsche owner so I can belong to some Class. I love the cars, and there happens to be some really good people around here. Stick around and learn. This is BAR NONE the best place to learn about a Porsches.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:36 AM
Boobers
Advanced

Freaker-My biggest concern for you is not that you will drive 140, or rice a fine example of a pristine 944. What concerns me most is that at 16, you have a nicer car than I do at 38. It is vis a vis this fact alone that I find you highly offensive.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:15 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Freeker,

Welcome to Rennlist! You will find that even though we tend to be a cynical bunch of gearheads, Rennlist is the best and most knowledgable 944 BBS around, bar none. Please don't let the responses here chase you off. We tend to get a little excitable here at times, there is no real harm intended.

Got a pic of your car?

Take care,

Tifo
Old 01-03-2004, 02:01 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by trebor_quitman
hey, roberto, you refer on your sign, that your daily driver is an S3?
What's that, is it some sort of tuned S2 ?..
Old 01-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by sybelix
hey, roberto, you refer on your sign, that your daily driver is an S3?
What's that, is it some sort of tuned S2 ?..
His car is half 944S2 and half 968 (he actually has a 968 rear end on his S2). Originally the 968 was going to be called the 'S3', but the factory later determined it was worth a whole new model #. I think this is the main basis for his designation of his S2 as an S3.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:13 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Sybelix, Scootin is right about my car mostly. Actually it was just an 8v N/A, not an S2, and the body is still stock, I don't have the 968 rear end on my car, just the the 968 hatch, 3ltr and 6speed. The only other external differences on my car are the exhaust tip, and the C2's over big reds.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by tifosiman

Freeker,

Welcome to Rennlist! You will find that even though we tend to be a cynical bunch of gearheads, Rennlist is the best and most knowledgable 944 BBS around, bar none. Please don't let the responses here chase you off. We tend to get a little excitable here at times, there is no real harm intended.

Got a pic of your car?

Take care,

Tifo
WTH?? Tifo - you getting mellow ??l
Old 01-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Freeker
Intermediate

I guess it is best for me to stick around no matter how much it hurts my pride. Truth is I just want to get around 200-250 N/A hp out my car, after I get it's first 'check up' I have a 57 year old friend in youngsville LA (I live in Houma) that has worked on porsChes for about 30 years, he had 2 911's 1 944 and a 928, he sold all of them but he works on them now so I'll let him check it out for me.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:00 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, the bad news is that you're not going to get the 200+ horses out of the car without doing some serious work. Well, maybe with nitrous or something, but beyond that...

Someone whose name I forget races a 944-spec car and he's got the dyno graphs from a bunch of different 944-spec cars posted on his website. These things range from fairly stock to all of the normal goodies (chips, air filters, full exhaust) and they are all within a few WHP of stock.

Seriously, if that's your goal, you really are better off selling the car and buying a 951 or an S2. Otherwise, you're going to have to put a different engine in the car.

BB.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Tifo. The fellow has 3 posts. Give him a little breathing room, guys. I'm sure he'll pick up on what he should/shouldn't do to the car. At least he's still reading this thread...
Old 01-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

I wasnt going to chime in, but-lets give him a break the first time out.

If you want 250+ HP get a clean fourth generation camaro or firebird. i bought one with very low miles 32k six speed, in mint and i mean mint condition with a level 2 suspension, and over 300 hp for under 10k. you get airbags, ABS, and maybe traction control too. and you dont give up much. click on the link in my signature for pictures.

you will destroy any value a low mileage 944 has (which isnt much anyway) by modifying it, and never get where you want to be.

Good luck
Old 01-05-2004, 02:11 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

200-250 N/A (to the wheels) will NEVER happen in your car without a motor swap and an assload of money... the only way you will get close with your 8v 2.5l motor is "da nos" which is not only a stupid idea for many reasons but it isnt really "n/a".

all insults aside, this is a car that is older than you and you have to believe that somewhere out there someone smarter than you already would have done it if it could be done, no matter how many people try to sell you a 25hp intake or a 10hp chip or a 50hp exhaust.... none of it is real numbers.

now you have the option of dumping 5k on a supercharger and another grand or so to have someone install and tune it which will be all good until drag race your next nissan and blow up the gear box, set aside a few hundred for that one and a few hundred more for your third one ahead of time, might as well stock a few clutches at your house too and at the end of it all take a nice depreciation hit on the resale because what good is a low mileage car unless it is stock....

or you can enjoy what you have, maybe do some useful stuff like suspension and safety upgrades & tires then spend a whole lot of time at the real race track going really fast ...

or you can sell this car asap before you hurt its value any more, put the cash towards a 944 turbo which gives you a free brake, suspension, hp and body kit & tranny upgrade right off, then use the 5k you would have spent supercharging your n/a to buy yourself 400rwhp (but you will still have a horrible drag racer and you will have more power than you can handle on a real race track)

no matter what you do, rennlist is the place where someone else has already dont it when you need help... just keep away from street racing stories or B.S. because it is really annoying when everyone gets fired up and we already know what your car can or cant do anyway.

I personally hope you enjoy what you have, join PCA and get active in safe/legal events and grow up a whole lot... a year from now you will be yelling at some new kid about how he should grow up too...
Old 01-05-2004, 11:38 PM
Freeker
Intermediate

So It is basicly a lost cause to even try to get 200hp at the wheels? If so I am kinda getting a head ache cause I love my car! And I will not get anything other than a Porsche, I like Camaro's but it is not a Porsche... I have 33k on my 84 944 and I am the 2nd owner, how much would I get for it? And now I am really confused about what to do...
Old 01-05-2004, 11:43 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

you would prolly get about as much as you recently bought it for??? there's a crazy notion???

Quick Reply: My "NEW" 944