Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "NEW" 944

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Freeker,
check out this site
http://web.camaross.com/forums/index.php?s=

the car already comes with 275hp. and a sub six second 0-60 time. i would check which suspension it has then head over to SLPs web site and pick up their suspension package. The car will handle better than your 944 with the suspension package. you may also want to check into upgrading the brakes with the motor. the LS1 conversion is very popular and not that expensive. My 93 camaro is the same as the 96. It has a bit more motor than brakes. I'm upgrading the pads, but I am also in my 40s and have stories similar to JonnyBs.

Click on the link below for pictures of the 32k mile 1993 six speed camaro I bought in september with a callaway cold air induction, hypertech chip, msd spark box, 1 1/4 front sway, 3/4 rear sway, bigger panhard, hotchkis strut brace, hotchkis LCAs, eibach progressive springs from SLP and Bilsteins.

Good luck kid. keep us posted on the sale of the 944, or at least send the pictures. what color is it anyway? is it a stick or auto?
Old 01-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Freeker
Bassically I LOVE ADRENALINE!
you could get the same feeling at a race track in a porsche with less horsepower by learning how to enter turns faster and what not... but i guess if you just want to push the go button the camaro is what you are looking for.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Dan,
exactly where is the go button on a camaro? ive looked and looked but haven't found it yet.

i think it is under the pedal on the right, just haven't tested my theory yet.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:50 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My go button only works above 3500rpm, Is something wrong with my button??

I tried adding blinker fluid, that helped a little...
Old 01-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Fishguy
Instructor

ok, curiosity slaked.
power is the priority here. 96' Camaro should do VERY well in that respect.

so, no plans for autocross or track racing?

Drag? street drag? teach those riced out civics a lesson?

Though for adrenaline, autocross can do that without having to break 60 mph (navigating a course and getting low times on the 2nd or 3rd run is pretty intense), and you can learn some driving skills there(know what an early apex is?), it really doesnt take much effort to go in a line quickly. but again, IMHO

so, get that camaro up to snuff and take home some good timeslips, as thats your thing, do well and good luck!

make sure you give that 944 a good home (and tell him to come here)
Old 01-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Fish,
Ive owned a V8 Firebird since 1976, Ive owned over 25 cars since 76 (stopped counting at 25), I've driven a lot of other cars in the last 25 years.

I always leaned towards two door sports cars, and had a soft spot for hatchbacks. Maybe its my small *****, but there is nothing like the growl of a primitive pushrod (one word or two? small ***** guys wanna know) V8.

I had six RX7s (two new, one six months old, an 83 in 98 with 35k miles) etc. I prefer cars that can take turns, never cared about straight line times, but love the kick a V8 gives.

As i got older the less i cared about the numbers. now when i see 400 hp i dont care. i wanna know how balanced the car is. but when i was younger i memorized the stats in R&T. they all cruise at 70mph just as fast.

at 16 Freeker doesnt have enough experience to know what he wants. i told my friends son when he was in college that he didnt know what he wanted to be. he cut me a new one that night. guess what - his job has nothing to do with his college studies.

Good luck kid. just dont kill yourself. with ABS, Airbags, maybe traction control, and a better safety cage than the 944 you might be lucky. Im rooting for you - only because you remind me of me some 26 years ago.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally posted by Tom R.

Good luck kid. just dont kill yourself. with ABS, Airbags, maybe traction control, and a better safety cage than the 944 you might be lucky. Im rooting for you - only because you remind me of me some 26 years ago.
yea, i remember back when i was his age too....
Old 01-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Dan Gallagher
yea, i remember back when i was his age too....
glad to see alzheimers hasnt set in yet!
Old 01-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Freeker
Intermediate

thanks for the advice everyone. Don't worry to much I don't plan on going back above 80 anytime soon. Doesn't mean I have to take a whole minute to get there though :P

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOO PISSSEEEEDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some guy in Target hit the back of my bumber! On the left side it is pushed in more than the right (takes time to cry) and it was a hit and run DAMNIT!! So now I have to fix that before I sell. My car is red, well burgendy I think, and its a manual Tom, I HATE AUTOMATIC SPORTS CARS!!!! Don't get me started on auto's. I will really miss my car, I realise this everytime I take a corner that says 35 at 70. Not to mention it IS A PORSCHE.. By selling it I think my popularity just droppped 2 points.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Freeker
Intermediate

OH and I forgot, Just by changing the suspension with the SLP pakage it will out handle a 944? If so I think I am in love.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Freeker,
It handles all but the tightest turns as good or better than an 84 944. The 944 can only do .88g, with a level 1 the camaro does .90g. and even if you cant outhandle it on the turns, the extra 150 hp will give you room to pass on the straights with ease.

SLP is having a sale on wheels and tires here is the link

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=211105

Here is the link for the suspension package

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...TNUMBER=70001A
Here is their description

Suspension Kit, (Level One) w/Reinforced Arms 1993-02 F-Car

If you're looking for improved handling from your stock Camaro or Firebird, SLP now offers a Level One suspension system that provides world-class handling, without the harshness usually associated with a suspension package of this caliber. SLP's suspension system is the same as the optional suspension system available on all Camaro SS and Firehawk models. It includes specially calibrated Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks, new lower rear control arms and panhard rod with higher durometer bushings for less deflection and more control during handling maneuvers. A new 32mm front anti-roll bar that further enhances your vehicle's cornering abilities is also included. This package lowers the car up to an inch from stock. On the skid pad a stock Z28 measured .86G's, SLP's Level One suspension system registered a rating of .90G's. If exceptional handling while retaining excellent ride quality is your goal, SLP's Level One suspension package is for you. The main components of this package are available separately if you wish to build your suspension one step at a time. SLP also offers a HEAVY-DUTY package with reinforced control arms and panhard bar for added strength and rigidity.

Good to see you are asking questions on the camaro board before you jump in.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=211105

Good luck kid. Keep the shiny side up.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Freeker
Intermediate

Wow. Umm you lost me, thats alot of technical stuff. Now the .86g's to .9g's I understand thats all I really need to know and its as good as sold. Thanks for all the help by the way.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:42 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Tom R.
Freeker,
It handles all but the tightest turns as good or better than an 84 944. The 944 can only do .88g, with a level 1 the camaro does .90g. and even if you cant outhandle it on the turns, the extra 150 hp will give you room to pass on the straights with ease.

To clarify, are you comparing a Camaro with suspension upgrades to a bone stock 944?

I would think that if you put the same degree of modifications in each, and then compared the two, the 944 would come out on top due to the weight distribution ratio. What do you think?

(By "on top", I mean in the g rating, not in the straights, for sure)
Old 01-08-2004, 02:57 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by tifosiman
To clarify, are you comparing a Camaro with suspension upgrades to a bone stock 944?
He's comparing a late model Camaro to a 20 year old 944/NA Talk about comparing apples to oranges

Tom, you really should get another Porsche soon. Your Porsche envy is overwhelming
Old 01-08-2004, 03:05 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok Tom, here it is:
"If you were to buy a car strictly for autocross use and it had to be bone stock, would you buy an early 944 or a late Camaro?"

Quick Reply: My "NEW" 944