Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "NEW" 944

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Tom R.
I didnt think I could get you off long island.

you know about the woman that was offended when a guy propositioned her. something about everyone is a *****, just some have higher prices.

Freeker put 5k miles on it in three months, removed the power steering and did other mods. scary what damage a 16 year old could do in no time. Wanna see the sawzall cuts in my firebird from when i was 15.

with a new clutch and a new waterpump and belts the car if in perfect and i mean perfect condition is worth about 7k. work from there scootin. good luck finding the 9k buyer.
I will leave long island any time as long as i am not the one driving.... and im not going to jersey

i dont think the car is worth 7k though, it is an early car and it had 33,000 on a 5 digit odometer if you know what i mean

if you are really interested in the car and you want to un do what has been done i will swap you all my working 951 power steering parts for his manual conversion (assuming he did i proper swap which is a half page of part numbers written in my note book and didnt just un power the rack by removing the belt which is what i suspect)
Old 01-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Dan,
I am in no hurry, and i mean no hurry to undo the wrath of a hacker.

If all is there, and things look right then maybe another toy. 5000 gentle miles in three months. the motor may be a rolling grenade if the belts werent changed. Not something i want to have break on a 1300 mile trip home (can you say Micah and S head)

the 86 with 48k i looked at is 20 minutes from me but has the original belts and original clutch. Ask Russ and Taso how many years the rubber disk is good for. forget the miles, its age. the guy wanted 7500 for it. I offered the guy the low fours for his 86 and he had it in the paper three months later for six. I have the clipping and will call in a few weeks if im bored.

The camaro does everything the S2 did only faster, much faster. It even handles turns pretty nicely, a little rougher than the camaro but the growl of the V8 is schweeeeet.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:58 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

It might have been a $7K car. Never a $9K car.

Now it's at best a $3K car.

Ah! The busy hands of youth.

Just think you could have just resold it and made a couple of thou!
Old 01-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5k you would have spent supercharging your n/a to buy yourself 400rwhp

Someone call me when they find my missing HP!!! I am close to 5K in mods now and I dont think we will see more than 365-375HP at 18 psi. I am sure I could go to 21 or so and make 400 but who knows how long.

I WANT MY MISSING HP, AND I WANT IT NOW....WHO STOLE IT???? WHO??? DAMN YOU RENNLIST!!!!!!

Seriously now. You would triple the value of the car to get 250HP. Not being a fan of the early cars, I tend to concur is *might* have been a 7K dollar car. I do mean might, nothing is certain here. With the stuff that will need to be undone I can see someone going as high as 5K or so. Who knows, we havent seen any pictures of it.

Tom - if you guys come down here I will meet you somewhere. That would be too close to miss.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

according to vitesse he is making 400 for $2900 which i know is at super high boost levels but whatever dont try to take away from my point making skills.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hehehehehe....it is called a glory run. It also doesnt include any of the ancilliary parts needed to do that (injectors, yada yada yada).....now Where's my power???????? I need it, I want it, I love it!!!

I will make 400 to before I leave the dyno but I might have to hit 21psi, maybe even 24psi. My 5K includes loads of non-performance parts BTW.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:17 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Location: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA

Also depends on where they live. I am in an area that has people with money but not many porsches due to the bad winters, and have been offerered 7000, though mine does not look like the standard N/A.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:51 AM
Fishguy
Instructor

im a little confused, why do you want a fast car?
what would you do with 250 hp? do you have a particular motorsport that requires a lot of acceleration (drag strip, perhaps?) or is it for show, street racing, maybe? or to learn how to work on an engine to hone your mechanic skills? or to make passing normal cars effortless? to impress your friends?
I'm really confused why you would want to sell your 944 (which you "love") to buy a car just to be 'fast'

I understand, somewhat, I wanted a car with some impressive go when I started looking for a car, but then I reaslised there was much more to a car than how fast it could go, and what did I need to be fast for? My own amusement? I didnt plan on drag racing, or any other racing, so I wondered why i would want power, surely not just to pass people on the road or stoplight race. I guess, so I would feel good about myself? That there is something beneficial to the human pysche that a powerful engine brings? I know a faster engine, or a 951 would be beneficial to my racing plans, but even if I could find one up here to buy, and afford it, It would still be basically the same car that would respond the same way, so I would learn to drive similairly, except that having a faster car might decieve me, I might not learn as well making a fast car do fast laps compared to making a slow car do fast laps. of course, this is just me. My goal is to learn to drive, to race, and a 944 is a near perfect vehicle to work with, excellent handling characterisitics, and fast enough to be competitive. my goals are not yours.

even though my 944 isnt fast, I will be able to have more fun cruising around town and autocrossing in it than if i had an old camaro putting down twice the power at the drag strip.

I know a 951 would be able to satiate your need for speed and be a fantastically agile car, but my point is, you are considering selling your car because its too slow. This leads me to believe you dont really know what you want out of car, I mean if you wanted lots of power to drag, there are MUCH better cars out there for it.
If you just want a nice car to cruise in, why doesnt a 944 fill that role? what do you REALLY want out of a car?
Maybe I just think you always need a reason to do something, Maybe its to have it, just to have it? and use it however it seems appropriate as you go?
I guess, you dont need to answer, you just want it, and are willing to do the necessary to get it, perhaps that is more than enough.

IMHO, of course
Old 01-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Fishguy, there is a very simple answer for that... he is 16... he knows nothing about cars, and thus he thinks that he needs that much HP to be cool... He doesn't realize that there is something known as a Power:Weight ratio.... He doesn't realize that going out on an autox track is more fun than going in a straight line... Let him learn his lesson the hard way i suppose???
Old 01-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Freeker
Intermediate

I made up my mind. I am selling my 944. I have ben looking around and I found a 1996 Camaro with the LT1 in it! 5.7 liter V8, can't wait to get it. Ahh the mods for this car

As for why? Isn't that simple, I love acceleration I love being pushed into the seat so you can't get out! I love it when you shift to 2nd and give it a little to much gas and your tires sqeal your back end pops out and your heart skips a beat. Bassically I LOVE ADRENALINE! I want something where when I am with my friends I can throw them into the seat if I want. And where little honda civics are nothing to worry about. Sure I am a sell out I know and I admit it, but when I get at that stop lite against that 350Z and leave him from the start.... its all worth it.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:14 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Considering your goals, this is a wise decision.

BB.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:19 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Freeker
I made up my mind. I am selling my 944. I have ben looking around and I found a 1996 Camaro with the LT1 in it! 5.7 liter V8, can't wait to get it. Ahh the mods for this car
Excellent move! You'll be much happier with the Camaro. Good luck
Old 01-07-2004, 04:25 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow. What a shame. Within 7 days you went from:

"I am 16 and about 3 months ago I got a 1984 944 N/A with only 28k miles! It had 1 owner (A doctor) and I have all records for it! This car is cherry :P."

to:

"I made up my mind. I am selling my 944. I have ben looking around and I found a 1996 Camaro with the LT1 in it! 5.7 liter V8, can't wait to get it. Ahh the mods for this car. "

I hate to hear that. We've lost another to the darkside. Do you have a buyer for the 944?

Take care,

Tifo
Old 01-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Freeker
Intermediate

nice people at last. yeah I am realllllyyyy exited about it. I checked around and just by changing the mufflers, plugs,coil,intake on the camaro z28 you can get almost a 100hp gain for about 500-750 dollars!!!
Old 01-07-2004, 04:53 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Freeker be careful with your new horsepower. Street racing is not safe, not responsible and you will always meet somebody faster than you. In my three years from 16 to 19 I was in three motorcycle accidents, one rolled Volvo and numerous chances for the grim reaper to cut my life short. Fortunately I did not hurt anyone else and I escaped in pretty good condition.

I am 49 now and a recent owner of a 944S. I haven't had the car over 90mph. I am getting to know the car, my limits and then its limits. I am sure there are NA drivers who could run circles around me now even though I have 38 more STOCK horsepower than they do. Driving is a skill that includes turns. Most any average joe can floor the accelerator and shift gears.

Horsepower is overrated, Be careful.

Quick Reply: My "NEW" 944