Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "NEW" 944

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Freeker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that this was acctually a forum but i guess it is just a flame site.
Just to verify I do not do 140 on the highway I just did this once and thought someone with a interest might actually care. And why does everyone assume I can't drive and that I am crazy on the road? I have ben driving since I can remember legal or not. My dad has drove porshes his whole life and he is the one who taught me to drive. I have ben on a track in houston where they teach you to drive Formula 1 car's by the way, yea I was 15 and drove a formula 1 car I might not have the time all of you have on the road but I know enough to not be as crazy as you all think. And for GOD SAKES PEOPLE its a PORSHE!!! Drive this car like a old person should be considered a sin!
Old 01-02-2004, 01:51 PM
jc22
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How about that, another F1 driver buys an old 944 for his daily driver.

We all assume you can't drive because you are young and don't have any experience driving

We assume you are crazy on the road because you are 16 and claim to have hit 140 mph.

You do NOT qualify as an experienced driver because your father has driven lots of Porsches and he taught you to drive.

This site is a lot different than those "other" car forums in that everyone has experience, knows what can and can't be done, is not impressed by wild tales of superhero driving, and is not afraid to call your bluff.

Your first post on a forum says you are 16, go 140mph, and you don't expect to get flamed????

Grow up.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:21 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

If you think you've been "flamed" you are wrong.

What has happened is that a ton of experience just came down on your head. Many of us here have had 911's. We have found the 944 to be a different animal. One that can put 911's out to pasture.

So you either stick around and take a few lumps here and there or you listen to others that have never had one iota of 944 experience.

Your choice. Personally I just hate to see a low milage 944 riced out just because it's "cool".
Old 01-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Freeker
I thought that this was acctually a forum but i guess it is just a flame site...... And for GOD SAKES PEOPLE its a PORSHE!!! Drive this car like a old person should be considered a sin!
Not a flame sight unless you make "troll" claims without any backup.

There ARE 400+ HP 951's out there - and you aint got one son.

and it's porsChe.. look at the sticker on the car to verify it's correct.
Try spelczech.

..and post a pic- especially one of the engine bay and we'll tell you how many miles are on it. there is quite a difference in 30 K and 130 K visually.

WE will help anyone, and do, but only if you really want it.

By the way, Welcome to Rennlist.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:42 PM
icat
Race Car

OK, I’ll bite. I live in Katy (you know where that is don’t you – just west of Houston – say 25 miles). There are no F1 driving schools in Houston, nor are there any tracks in the city. Oh, and by the way – daddy would likely be appalled if he found out you didn’t even know how to spell Porsche (hint - it’s not porshe). You didn’t get flamed – we just set you straight on a few facts. But keep going, it looks like you’re going to hang yourself any minute now. One other thing, it might not be a sin to “rice” up a concours Porsche – but it is sacrilegious.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:50 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

I thought that this was acctually a forum but i guess it is just a flame site.....Just to verify I do not do 140 on the highway I just did this once and thought someone with a interest might actually care. And why does everyone assume I can't drive and that I am crazy on the road?.... And for GOD SAKES PEOPLE its a PORSHE!!! Drive this car like a old person should be considered a sin!
Honestly, I believe people here were giving, perhaps somewhat emotional, well meaning advice. I get the impression you are a talented, capable young man, but....I won't say anymore because it is not for me to judge. If you've done 140 any other place than the track than that's truly crazy. However good a driver you might be it's apparent you know next to nothing about 944. That's why you are here. You may think you're flamed. But in fact you are getting priceless guidance here. Open your eyes and listen or learn the hard way.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Amen Keith, amen.

Oh and does "Drive this car like an old person" mean drive so you CAN grow old?

Just wondering.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:46 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Location: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA

You know this board use to be a little more welcoming, it use to be atleast 5 posts in before we started flaming people lol. We dont want to give people the wrong first impression about us , we are probably one of the most close nit boards on this site and we should of been alot more welcoming even if some of you did disagree with what he is doing to his car. I know low milage cars should be kept nice but you only live once he might as well enjoy. He does not seem like a threat in NE way to are cars and if we would of givin him more of a chance, and help teach him like you did to me and all the other young memebers on this board. This is a sad to see on a board most people consider family.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Ok, if you think you have experience then read this? I am 20 years old... This is my fourth car (all of which i have bought myself) With this Porsche i have done one PCA driving school, 4 autox's, and 2 track DE's... Guess what??? I think of myself as a FREAKING ROOKIE... I go out on the track against former European GT drivers, and people who have been driving their Porsche's 40 years... those people know how to drive...
Now, out on the open road, i probably know more than the average driver, but does that make it safe for me to drive like a maniac? F*CK NO... Yuo come in here boasting about how you are 16 and have taken your (what sounds like) cherry 944 up to 140 and wonder why people get all riled up about it??? Fact of the matter is, i don't like to boast about how fast i've gone because it endangers lives.... There are only 2 places that i know of where its safe to get up to 140.... One is the track and the other is the Silverstate Classic... Otherwise, its just dumb...
Next, you come on here boasting about your new exhaust, which belongs on a damn old Camaro or something, and your other BS ricer mods... Bosch 4+ Platinums are NEVER a mod... hell, they rob the 944 of power... I am guessing that next you are gonna try and do a cold air intake??? (btw, without a MAP sensor in this car it won't do crap)
Finally you say that you drove a Formula One car... what you meant to say was an open wheel race car... A formula 1 car is a multi million dollar piece of automotive art and engineering... At most you drove a toyota atlantic car... Which don't get me wrong is fast, but i suggest you do your research before you open your mouth...

-Jonas
Old 01-02-2004, 05:28 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

I am sorry freeker. Normally this would be the time I come up with some whitty comeback however, I am having a hard time digesting your garbled english.

Christian
Old 01-02-2004, 07:38 PM
Fishguy
Instructor

well this doesnt seem too pleasant of an atmosphere

I know I didnt get the same response when I joined and posted my 1984 944 with 24k miles at 18

though my approach was more, hey i bought this, What can i do with this? how feasible is this? (Ie making it fast in a line)

plus, i had pics to distract from my original unrealistic plans, i had hopes of putting a few hundred bucks into some minor engine mods, and getting something out of it

boy, this forum has set me straight, my plan is do some good maintenance work on it this summer (mobil 1, belt change - big priority, change some seals - if necessary)

to put it in the best shape I can, and then Autocross it.

thats the proper "rennlist approved" goal of a young 944 owner, I guess.

Last edited by Fishguy; 01-03-2004 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:38 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

ive owned 2 porsches since i was 14, payed for everything myself, you must always have enough money for new belts and seals, and with a higher mileage car, a clutch, this worked out to close to thousand dollars for and dad and i did all the work ourselves....if you dont have that much you cant afford any mods. also, since you couldnt afford proper exhaust, leave the exhaust stock, save till you can AFFORD to make a mod.
please!!! im not being mean, honestly, im only 17, in the same boat as you and im giving you some good simple advice.
my $600 924 that i cant afford to fix right will eventually turn into a ball of garbage...if they arent maintained properly they wont last
costs to maintain my existing cars are the only thing keeping me from buying 2 more: $250 (ill still prolly buy them, and resell) 1973 914s, 3 transmissions, 1 engine (is a 1.8 liter factory? i thought it should be 2.0 but ive heard of this year with smalled engine.?)
Old 01-02-2004, 09:56 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally posted by Fishguy
well this doesnt seem to pleasant of an atmosphere
Indeed.

When I first started modding my little Scirocco way back when, I wasn't all that different from freeker. I started looking at all of the "standard" modifications that tend to work with most cars, just as this kid did. The only difference was that in my case, most of the standard mods actually worked on that car.

But still, I was young and enthusiastic, and even talked about doing some things that I just knew would make my car faster. Fortunately for me, the experts I talked to took the time to listen to what I had to say and what I wanted to do, and then made suggestions based on my goals. They even took the time to explain to me why some things work and others don't. All without talking down to me.

I'm glad that they did. Had they just lectured to me, told me I was stupid and wrong and how I was going to kill my car, well, I'd have lost all respect for them and gone someplace else, probably without learning a damn thing.

Remember, guys, he's a 16 year old kid who just got his first Porsche. He's probably not going to be overly responsible. But then, neither was I at that age. Sure, I thought I was good (and relatively speaking, I probably was), but it was only through an open, learning environment that I learned the things that I did.

If you think he's doing something wrong, you're not going to change his mind by treating him like a child. I mean, really... how are you more responsive? When people say "you're stupid" or when they say "Hey, I know that might seem like a good idea, but here's the problem with it..."

Most of us have many years of experience on Freeker, so we see things that he doesn't. And during that time, I guess a lot of us forgot what it was like to be 16 and excited about a cool car.

This isn't a rant or a lecture. It's just a thought for the next time this happens...

BB.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Freeker, IF YOU REALLY DO LIKE/LOVE THAT CAR, THAN YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!

What the Hell!.......ya just got started off on the wrong foot! No big figgin deal!

You must not have been watching this forum at all, or very little before you jumped in with this post. Otherwise, you would have known that you were probably going to open a can of worms. No Big Deal! Now.....ya wanna learn more about PORSCHES in a way that you cannot even begin to imagine yet? If so, hang around, don't be scared off! I'm 49 years old, lots of mechanical/driving/modding/just plain living experience, and I'm here to tell you that this forum is where you WILL find the best and most knowledgable people about these cars than you'll learn on your own, or find anywhere in the world, with more compassion and comraderie than should probably even be LEGAL! And just so you know, this site has a very large group of under 25yr olds in it. I've learned more from this site about my 944 in 6 months than I thought was even remotely possible. HANG AROUND! WE ALL STEP IN IT FROM TIME TO TIME. You just got the first one out of the way right off the bat. You MUST realize that "hotshots" get shot down, and B.S. is called!
By the way......WELCOME TO RENNLIST!
Old 01-03-2004, 01:01 AM
951Badger
Racer

I thought that this was acctually a forum but i guess it is just a flame site.
Just to verify I do not do 140 on the highway I just did this once and thought someone with a interest might actually care. And why does everyone assume I can't drive and that I am crazy on the road? I have ben driving since I can remember legal or not. My dad has drove porshes his whole life and he is the one who taught me to drive. I have ben on a track in houston where they teach you to drive Formula 1 car's by the way, yea I was 15 and drove a formula 1 car I might not have the time all of you have on the road but I know enough to not be as crazy as you all think. And for GOD SAKES PEOPLE its a PORSHE!!! Drive this car like a old person should be considered a sin!
No. Spelling it "Porshe" twice in the same post is a sin. Learn to spell it. Learn to pronounce it (Porsh-UH). Learn to drive it.

And you've been driving for as long as you can remember??? What is that, like 3 years? You're 16!

Quick Reply: My "NEW" 944