Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Nissan Pathfinder Armada

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 08:20 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Nissan Pathfinder Armada

We are seriously thinking about replacing our true and tired '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee that's got over 100K miles now. I am now looking for something big but not tooo big like the Ford Excursion... The new Nissan Pathfinder stands out with a 5.6 liter V8 engine; a displacement that's unheard of from a Japanese maker (well, owned by Renault..). Seen test of 7 seconds 0-60 for this SUV. If that's true, then that is one quick 8 passenger hauler.
The styling is kind of out there but looks like it can grow on you. Anyone out there looking or considering this SUV?
Old 12-30-2003, 08:38 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Been eyeing it every time I drive by the local dealer......as you can see in my sig I have an Acura now ( love it! ) but I think with 3 kids I will now need something slightly bigger. I believe it got good reviews in both Car & Driver and Road & Track....and I can't argue w/ 5.6L V8!
Old 12-30-2003, 08:48 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Wouldn't fit in my garage so I won't buy one. Now the Honda Passport and Acura MDX fit nicely (basically the same vehicle along with the Honda Odyssey).
Old 12-30-2003, 09:01 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally posted by ELLSSUU
Wouldn't fit in my garage so I won't buy one. Now the Honda Passport and Acura MDX fit nicely (basically the same vehicle along with the Honda Odyssey).
But you can't tow with any of those cute utes...... (well you can't tow a 944 Turbo and an enclosed trailer, which I do plan on having some day for track use)

I thought the armada was the size of the Big Ford and The Suburban, anyone have the specs on them?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:51 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Found a good site for a review:

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/...ive/home.shtml

Heard this thing can tow 9,000 lbs.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:53 PM
89951DREAMER
Instructor

ELLSSUU, I'm afraid your confused about the Honda platforms. The MDX and Pilot share a chassis. The Passport, which is no longer in production, was an Isuzu Rodeo. The Odyssey is out there on its own and shares its chassis with no other vehicle. Just want to make sure we get the facts straight.

Ian
Old 12-31-2003, 12:22 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah you're right. I was thinking of the Pilot. Dealer here in town told me that the Odyssey was the same platform as the MDX and Pilot.

Ian, unless I get some jetski's I don't have anything to tow anyway. I was looking b/c of the interior space.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:11 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The Pathfinder Armada should line up size-wise against the Expedition, not the Excursion.

In my limited experience with Nissan (I've owned a '95 pathfinder since new, and have no plans on getting rid of it anytime soon), it's been a very good vehicle. With just routine maintenance, it's been very reliable. I understand it's a totally different platform, but if the Armada is screwed together as well as this thing is, you couldn't go wrong.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:45 AM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

hey esanmiguel, gonna sell that jeep?
Old 12-31-2003, 11:19 AM
89951DREAMER
Instructor

I have a 2001 Odyssey and it's a great car (van). Very low maintenance and its actually pretty quick for a van. The handling is much better than the domestic minivans. Anyway, as far as quality, you can go wrong with a Honda. They are some of the best built cars in the world. As for the Nissan, they are pretty damn good too. Nissan was really in the dumps in the mid to late 90's. However, they have bounced back with a vengence. They finally got their **** together by using one platform for many vehicles. I don't know about the Armada specifically, but it should prove to be a good vehicle. Nissan has always been known for building very good engines. I believe that the Armada's V8 is based on the engine in the current Infiniti Q45. If that is true, it should be a screamer. I used to own a 1991 Q45, although a completely different engine, that car hauled *** for its size. And, the engines are tough. The Pathfinder Red1 spoke of has bay far the most reliable engine Nissan ever made (IMHO). That is the old VG30E which was introduce in the 1984 300ZX. It was also used in the 1985 Maxima, and in various other vehicles including trucks and vans into the late 1990's. I have seen them with many hundreds of thousands of miles on them and still purring like a kitten. Only time will tell how good the new Nissans are.

Ian
Old 12-31-2003, 01:02 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 89951DREAMER
I have a 2001 Odyssey and it's a great car (van). Very low maintenance and its actually pretty quick for a van. The handling is much better than the domestic minivans. Anyway, as far as quality, you can go wrong with a Honda. They are some of the best built cars in the world. As for the Nissan, they are pretty damn good too. Nissan was really in the dumps in the mid to late 90's. However, they have bounced back with a vengence. They finally got their **** together by using one platform for many vehicles. I don't know about the Armada specifically, but it should prove to be a good vehicle. Nissan has always been known for building very good engines. I believe that the Armada's V8 is based on the engine in the current Infiniti Q45. If that is true, it should be a screamer. I used to own a 1991 Q45, although a completely different engine, that car hauled *** for its size. And, the engines are tough. The Pathfinder Red1 spoke of has bay far the most reliable engine Nissan ever made (IMHO). That is the old VG30E which was introduce in the 1984 300ZX. It was also used in the 1985 Maxima, and in various other vehicles including trucks and vans into the late 1990's. I have seen them with many hundreds of thousands of miles on them and still purring like a kitten. Only time will tell how good the new Nissans are.

Ian

Actually the Armada's 5.8 liter V8 is new and the one in the new Q45 is a 4.5 liter. I also owned a 94 Q45 and it was the best car I ever owned. It hauls major ***. Boy do I miss that car.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:04 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by jjmson20
hey esanmiguel, gonna sell that jeep?
Our Grand Cherokee Laredo might be going to a family member. However, my sister has a 95 Grand Cherokee 4x4 with the inline 4.0 liter 6 cyl engine for sale. Fully loaded, low miles (60K plus miles). 4x4, leather, etc.. They just want to get rid of it for cheap. No major problems on this Jeep, its been reliable so far. Are you interested?
Old 12-31-2003, 05:37 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Ian

I could be all wet....but I do recall reading that the MDX ( and later the Pilot) is based on the Odyssey platform.....in any case....the MDX is fantastic if you need a family SUV....rides and handles great and even my 2001 has plenty of power ( the newer cars have about 30 more hp).

I do miss my old 4Runner ( bar none ...it was the best vehicle I ever owned) it felt like a truck. The MDX feels like an expensive lux car.

Quick Reply: OT: Nissan Pathfinder Armada