Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying my first 944. What's missing in this engine bay? She's home safe and sound now

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 10:11 PM
Kilohertz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first 944. What's missing in this engine bay? And now some pics and updates

HI everyone,

About to buy my first 944, had a couple of 924's back in the 90's, this one just crossed my path last week, a fellow I know has it for sale and I am seriously considering it. It's a 1983 944, RoW, in good condition from what I can see, haven't started it yet, but very little rust, newish paint, good interior and needs only minor (so far) things repaired, clutch slave leak, a few electrical things under the hood and will have to have the windshield popped out and resealed, but otherwise looks pretty good.

So I was just going thru the pictures I took last week and noticed a couple of things missing under the hood. I have circled them in yellow, a few hoses it looks like, probably not a big deal, but there is a canister missing on the passenger fender,near the front, from other pics I see it has a spin off top. What is that? Must be a reservoir of some sort but for what? Maybe not required on a RoW car? Still looking for a service manual which would probably tell me but I'm heading there tomorrow to make the deal. It's a bit of a drive so I can't just pop in to have another look.

Any guidance, advice etc would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited by Kilohertz; 04-05-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:16 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bracket at the bottom of the picture isn't used in the 944.
The port on the J-boot must be a RoW thing. We don't have it on US models.
The nipple on the air box is for a hose that connects to the belt covers. The hose has rightfully been deleted, but not capped off.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe the bracket at the bottom of the OP picture is the power steering reservoir. Stock setup below.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:34 PM
Kilohertz
Advanced

Super! Thanks! Okay, forgot to look to see if it had power steering, but if that's the PS reservoir then it probably doesn't. And I'm guessing it may not have A/C either, forgot to check the option tag, but it looks like a base model, no sunroof, no electric windows etc.
Looking forward to getting her home and start tinkering.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2018, 10:39 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 35 Posts

No AC, no power steering, no sunroof? Sounds like the perfect setup to me! All analog and lightweight

Let us know if it was optioned that way. Would be a great combo. Congrats on the find and good luck with the buy.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:43 PM
Kilohertz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bmuldoon
No AC, no power steering, no sunroof? Sounds like the perfect setup to me! All analog and lightweight

Let us know if it was optioned that way. Would be a great combo. Congrats on the find and good luck with the buy.
Yes, can you say "track day car"? Well, maybe not, but will be fun with the few extra ponies under the hood and without the excess weight.

Cheers
Old 04-01-2018, 11:09 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

What makes you think it’s a ROW car? Also the header panel looks like it’s screwed on and on the MY83 cars they were welded in place.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:17 PM
Kilohertz
Advanced

Originally Posted by MAGK944
What makes you think it’s a ROW car? Also the header panel looks like it’s screwed on and on the MY83 cars they were welded in place.
The VIN is the big one, plus the front and rear valances/bumpers, no side marker lights, from the few days of research I have done, I believe I am correct. If not, please straighten me out.

Cheers
Old 04-01-2018, 11:44 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kilohertz
The VIN is the big one, plus the front and rear valances/bumpers, no side marker lights, from the few days of research I have done, I believe I am correct. If not, please straighten me out.

Cheers
Its just rare to find a ROW car in the US as they imported more cars to the US than all the ROW combined. Bumpers, front fenders and valances can be easily swapped however if you don’t have side marker lights on the rear fenders that’s normally a tell-tale sign that it’s a ROW car. VIN is often confused with chassis number and a chassis number can mislead you to believe you have a ROW car when you actually don’t. I’m sure you’ve done your homework but I’m just checking 4u.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:00 AM
Kilohertz
Advanced

Its just rare to find a ROW car in the US as they imported more cars to the US than all the ROW combined. Bumpers, front fenders and valances can be easily swapped however if you don’t have side marker lights on the rear fenders that’s normally a tell-tale sign that it’s a ROW car. VIN is often confused with chassis number and a chassis number can mislead you to believe you have a ROW car when you actually don’t. I’m sure you’ve done your homework but I’m just checking 4u.

Thanks! Appreciate the input and concern. I'd buy it no matter, but I'm pretty sure it's ROW, and I am in Canada so maybe there are more here. Definitely no rear side markers, VIN confirmed on the firewall and fender tag, passenger side, and trunk sticker and reg which I now have. WPOZZZ94Z etc.

Cheers

Last edited by Kilohertz; 04-08-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:11 AM
Kilohertz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bmuldoon
Ya, just wish it still had the original cassette deck in it. :-) May have to dig out one of my old Alpines, oh wait, those go in Lamborghinis....
Old 04-02-2018, 08:46 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It's been repainted - you can tell by the paint that shouldn't be there where its now screwed on instead of tacked on. Looks like it had a front end collision and they replaced the header panel.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:40 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

looks like some sketchy wiring (by battery, by headlight), as well as sketchy fuel line repair.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:04 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kilohertz

Thanks! Appreciate the input and concern. I'd buy it no matter, but I'm pretty sure it's ROW, and I am in Canada so maybe there are more here. Definitely no F/R side markers, VIN confirmed on the firewall and fender tag, passenger side. WPOZZZ94Z etc.

Cheers
Plenty of non-row cars have WP0ZZZ... on the firewall, two of my US spec cars do, but if it’s also on the tag and title you are good, also if it’s a Canadian car like you said then it’s most likely a Euro Spec row car. Looks like a car with good “bones”
Old 04-02-2018, 09:12 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Another note is the lack of a vacuum reservoir. '83 cars have them just forward of the battery, on the engine side of the firewall. It's about the size of a medium sized coffee mug and has a small vacuum line runs to it from the brake booster. The fitting on this car's booster (where the main vac line plugs into the body, a non-return valve) doesn't even have the provision for this small line. There are black plastic plugs in the 2 holes where it would normally mount, as well. There's also some weird piece where I would expect the reservoir to be, that black plastic or rubber in the bottom left of the picture.

In that area I couldn't help but notice one of those "vampire" clips on the wire there. I have an opinion about people who use those for automotive wiring. But it looks like that's not the worst wiring offense on this car.

What's the deal with the orange plug in the plenum boot? It looks like it's held in with RTV. Never seen that before, doubt it's factory but maybe I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: Buying my first 944. What's missing in this engine bay? She's home safe and sound now