Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash cover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dash cover?

Hey guys,
My dash is pretty rough with cracks, and like many of us, want to fix that. Eventually i'll just get a new or good used dash, but right now my funds must go towards more mechanical needs. I was wondering if anyones tried any covers or caps? I saw this one, and I had trouble decidint whether I would like the fabric look or not. i guess for the price its worth a try.... But could anyone give me any advice on this cover, and any others that anyones tried? has anyone tried this one? pictures?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2448494696

(I would get it in black)

appreciate your help
Old 12-16-2003, 08:01 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

bump , can anyone give me a hint if they think this would be ugly or worth a try?
Old 12-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Awoir
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's definately worth a try man! I have a black dash cover that says Turbo on it so even though I don't have a Turbo whenever someone gets in the passenger side they're like "You have a turbo!?" but anyway, they aren't bad, I don't mind them at least. I say go for it.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:17 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your personal taste is a factor here. Personally, I don't care for the "carpet" material dash caps, but am quite satisfied with the solid nylon units like the ones from Coverlay. I've had one on the 83 for several years now, and they work great. They cost around $80 and also come with a warranty against cracking.

For the late dash, there's another option called "dash glove" or something to that effect, with flexible material that adapts directly to your dash, but it's more expensive than a Coverlay.

For a quick solution, I would go with a Coverlay dash cover. If you like the "plush carpet" look, then that's another option, too.

Anything but those unsightly dash cracks!
Old 12-16-2003, 09:48 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My car has a coverlay. It's been on apparently for years as it's pretty warped and cracked. The car was a Colorado car and spent a lot of time in the sun. I just ordered a new one today and I'll report on it when I get it.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:56 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
Your personal taste is a factor here. Personally, I don't care for the "carpet" material dash caps, but am quite satisfied with the solid nylon units like the ones from Coverlay. I've had one on the 83 for several years now, and they work great. They cost around $80 and also come with a warranty against cracking.

For the late dash, there's another option called "dash glove" or something to that effect, with flexible material that adapts directly to your dash, but it's more expensive than a Coverlay.

For a quick solution, I would go with a Coverlay dash cover. If you like the "plush carpet" look, then that's another option, too.

Anything but those unsightly dash cracks!
Luis,

Any info on the dash glove?
Old 12-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The woman who bought my 83 put a dash cover on because there were some serious cracks in the dash, and she is quite happy with it. She got the plastic kind; personally the carpet ones just make my skin crawl, I might as well line my car with **** carpeting while i'm at it...but I almost got a cover for that car too, but I was skeptical...I've seen it myself, and I'm actually quite impressed at how good it looks.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

thanks for the info. I think ill try the carpet look soon. and ill post a picture. Still gotta get a picture of my car up here.. havent got a chance yet. I figure ill try this for 30 dollars and if i dont like it i can at least give some advice to you guys about it, and maybe resell it to another unsuspecting customer on ebay.
Probably will resort to the coverlay...
thanks
Old 12-16-2003, 10:02 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the carpet on my car. The velcro was worn out, and taking a corner fast one time it came off and flew over my face. Never used it after that, and sold it to Chris (Chris_924S). It looked nicer than my giant dash cracks, but I don't really notice. I plan on getting a coverlay sometime.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:20 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Location: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA

Look out for my post in a few weeks; I am perfecting a process with a used dash I got that’s going to be very revolutionary for these cars. I will give a whole write up on it in a few weeks when I know how it holds up.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

My dash has a couple little cracks in it that bug me - so I'm going to replace it. I wasn't paying attention and ordered one of the plastic / (leather??) covers instead of a dash, and it's a cheap piece of ****. If you were [extremely] tight on cash and couldn't live with the cracks it would be a solution, otherwise, I'd just replace the dash. R+R dash / airbag takes little over couple hours.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:25 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

yeah but do they make new dash's anymore? i dont see many dash's on ebay that are new or in good condition
Old 12-17-2003, 03:15 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You can get a new dash from the factory...for upwards of $4000!!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Hah... i could buy that.... or another NA...
Old 12-17-2003, 05:19 PM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, these are very nice and fun sports cars that can be attained very inexpensively....thats why I bought mine. My first 924 had a very badly cracked dash.....I used the coverlay black cap for it and I was very satisfied how it looked.....the vinyl pattern matched perfectly and the color (black) did, too. It made a huge improvement for very little money. and that makes the inexpensive great sport car that much more fun....I am now buying one for my 944 and look forward to installing it. A little advise on the installation....make sure you dry fit it first. My first attempt could have been done better (although it looked great)....I had a little bit of a gap by the gauges and it would have fit better if I would have trimmed a little off the front edge (windshield edge)....

Quick Reply: Dash cover?