Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price tag for a custom built 944 'RS'-style with 968 motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Price tag for a custom built 944 'RS'-style with 968 motor

I am in the need for some advise related to a custom built 944 RS-style car.

The car is based on a 1985 944.chassis
Good body work and paint, guards red, no rust. Lots of details (painted striping, painted RS decals)

968 engine (18.000 miles; dyno 265bhp), oil cooler, Turbo exhaust
944 gearbox, short gear ratios with plenty of horsepower
993 brakes and adapted ducts, woven stainless steel brake lines
Custom suspension with Bilstein shocks and tailor made spring combination fornt and rear. Adjustbale sway bars
Rollbar, Recaro PP bucket seats. custom steering wheel, 5 point harness seat belt
Lots of details which makes it sort of unique build. You can see a lot of love and care have been spent in building this car.
The underlying idea was to make a 944 RS but make it also usable/enjoybale for the street.
Car has driven 10.000 miles since built. Mixed autox, track-events, drift and GT trips

Owner is looking for a Cayman which he will customise again to replace this 944.
So he is waiting for the rigth one to pass by.

That might be me as it is exactly what I am looking for as a track toy.
Lightweight chassis (+)
guards red (+)
plenty of horsepower(+++)
the balance a transaxle (++),
the shorter gear ratios with the power make it very fun to drive.(+++)
As the car is not so purely track oriented it is a also a very nice sportive street car (+++)

I know with these custom builds it is very difficult to asses the value but based on the above specs and details what would be a price estimation for which such a car could sell. What would be a estimated value? Considering it is technically and cosmetically in very good condition and with a.968 motor with low mileage
I am very sorry, at the moment no photos available to support the above description; but it looks and drives stunning.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:45 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These kinds of cars are very tough to price, because there's always way more money and effort gone into the build than any reasonable person would ever pay for the finished product.

For cars like these, I like to value them by ignoring the car itself. An 85 944 NA has very little collectors value to begin with, but whatever it did have is gone now. What you're actually buying is the performance - so it's up to you to decide how much a lightweight, simple, 265hp street/track car is worth to you.

I'd guess somewhere in the $10K range, if I had to put a price tag on it. He's built a sort of hopped up S2, and those in decent condition will go for $12-14K, so I'd imagine this is worth a little less than that.

Word of warning, though - the standard 944 transaxle was never built to handle that kind of power. I wouldn't be doing any hard launches in it and I might be searching for a backup transaxle for when it eventually blows up.

Edit: This car sounds basically like my eventual build goal for my car. I'm estimating about $20K to finish the build, including the purchase price of the car, and that's with almost everything being done DIY, so zero labor cost. Just as a data point, keeping in mind that cost to build almost never equals value when it comes to cars.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:51 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

it sounds like it was built with a mission in mind and built well.
being in europe, everything costs more.
so what might be a 10-14k car in the USA is likely double that in EU.
so, if it's worth 20k euro to you, it might be fair. if the car is as set up as you say, he's spent more than that to put it together.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

@SloMo: Thanks. In fact that was the purpose of my question here. To get a simple analytic approach on what is the 'sum of parts'. Without emotions.

@V2rocket: Also true. Moneywise the parts and effort to relaise it is way more than the final value. For me it has a lot of the things I would like. And I am aware that buyng a 944 and modding it further to something equivalent would cost me at the end the same or more.

Quick Reply: Price tag for a custom built 944 'RS'-style with 968 motor