Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, considering a 924 N/A....but opinions first....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Fuzzbeaner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, considering a 924 N/A....but opinions first....

Alright, hey, I'm a n00b and 3/4 here, but I've been sponging up alot on the 924 lately, and it's been really tempting.....

I've got around $2,000 saved up, which I know isn't alot to spend on any car, let alone a Porsche. I'm a high school junior with a steady $50 a week job during the year. So that's my financial situation....

The school bus here in no-where's ville MA takes me anywhere I want to go, so a car isn't a necesity. I know I'd be a fool to run a Porsche in the winter for rust and traction reasons, so I'm thinking a project car that I can get up and running for this summer (or next summer). Luckily, there's an available garage attached to my house that my parents don't use for cars.

My question of you guys is, do you think it's wise/possible for someone in my situation to jump on the Porsche 924 wagon? From what I understand it certainly seems possible. Please, tell me your thoughts!

Take into account:
A. COST!
B. Technical Skill needed (I can't weld, although I can solder pretty good )

Thanks for your advice and letting me tap into your knowledge!

-Jeff
Old 12-07-2003, 07:30 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have the income to maintain one, it's probably best not to buy one yet. Thats what I did, and I need stuff like an engine overhaul soon and a paint job because I couldn't afford to maintain it. I had to have a clutch replaced, a Transmission replaced, etc. which in owning this car for 5 years has led to about $12000 in maintenance costs, and I still have more to do. Keep in mind 15 year old cars have many little problems, thats why people restore them. Just so you know, you don't want to run a porsche in the winter. It's not fun, much less SALT SUCKS!!
I have a 944, but the 924 has many problems of it's own that people can tell you about. Make sure to ask in the 924 forum on the maintenance issues to look for.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright Jeff. here's what ya need to do. of the 924 series, IMHO, the 924S is the best. it's got a Porsche engine. a 2.5L inline 4 as opposed to the Audi 2.0L.

I got my 1987 924S with 102,000 miles on the clock for $3,000.00. I spent another $500.00 to make sure it would run for a while (i.e., tune up, and timing/balance belt service) so for $3,500.00 I had a great running 924S.

Another benefit of the "S" designation, is that it has the 944 drivetrain and suspension. 5 speed trans as opposed to a 4 (the early 924 NA). Incredible cars, I love em, they are retro and futuristic looking at the same time. it's like the toyota celica commercial. It looks fast.

However, there is a flaw with the 944 engine. if you race it, you may spin a bearing. it's not fun and costs about $3,000.00 to rebuild including machining, and that's if you pull it out and apart yourself. this happened to me.

Also, I re-did my suspension and the car handles like it's on rails. I've spun out once and it's cuz I was stupid.

IMHO, the 924S is the best of the series. Unlike the Audi 2.0L engine, the 2.5L is slightly faster than a ford Windstar these aren't fast cars, and are known for their handeling.

All in all, I've spent $12,000.00 in 2 years including purchase on my car, but that's suspension upgrade, engine rebuild, second engine rebuild (cuz I'm stupid) and oil, etc, etc.

Best car ever. I take it everywhere with me. it goes around town, to the track, and even up to the mountains for a bit of snowboarding. WELL worth the money.

Happy hunting,
Geoff (note the proper British spelling, not the lazy American "Jeff" )
Old 12-07-2003, 07:37 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

P.S. Porsches aren't cheap. initial purchase price, yes, but as RMills 944 says, Upkeep is expensive. If I didn't have my dad's help, I'd have a broken 924S. I'm a college student. Dad and I pay 50/50 on MOST repairs. it costs approx $200.00 a year worth of Mobil 1 and oil filters alone. 7 quarts of oil per change isn't cheap. However, if you like a good drive, You'll love a 924. they handel well, and look cool doing it.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Fuzzbeaner
Advanced

Yea, I know 944s and 924s's cost a helluh-lot to maintain. That's why I'd had been looking at the 924 N/a, even though it's not as peppy. They start cheaper, and from what I have been told and observed, are alot less pricey to maintain then the more glamerous cars in the series....and I think the lower speed makes my parents more likely to let me use it, heh.

-Jeff
Old 12-07-2003, 07:53 PM
rareblack944
Instructor

hey Jeff,
welcome to Rennlist.

It seems like your doing the thing most teenagers dream about, buy a car fix it up, and use it as a sorta dream car for a while. Just a few questions. Do you have your license/permit yet? If not when are you gonna get it? Second have you thought about insurance, I’m 17, also living in central Massachusetts and insurance costs about 1,000 -1800 for the 944 my parents have (liability only 7,500 mile per year limit, 4th car). The Total cost that was added onto my parents policy when I got my license was quite a bit more then that, but there are also three other fairly new cars that I’m insuraned on, then you also need to think about gas and regular matience. Also it sounds like you wouldn't be willing to drive this car during the winter, so is this going to be your only car to use, and you can only use it during the summer? Seems like its a little impractical in my mind. And have you thought about the costs of parts? Granted these cars aren't a 911, but there still not a Honda civic in terms of parts cost.

Overall if you think you can afforded it I would say get one. Otherwise you might want to wait a few years and build up the funds a little bit. Also, try to get the nicest car you can for your money it will pay off in the long run. Good luck with whatever you final decision is.

David - 87 black 944
Old 12-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Fuzzbeaner
Advanced

I have a permit, and will be getting a licence on January 29th (elements willing).

Because of the massive amount of things I have to do during the school year, (between maintaining a GPA, work and band practice), I really wouldn't have much time to drive during the winter months anyways, and because of the insurance cost, I couldn't justify it anyways. Because it'll be around 120 per month, I figure 4 or 5 months from april - september would be plenty to enjoy the car in.

I can probably use my parent's car during the summer....but I have no wheels of my own.

-Jeff
Old 12-07-2003, 08:38 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

If you are trying to drive a Porsche on a limited budget (like myself) you will need to have the patience and willingness to work on the car yourself. To be honest with you, working on these engines is not rocket science like the labor rates make you believe. After the purchase of the vehicle, you should keep at least $500 handy for various parts until you have driven the car for a while and are sure of its condition. Also get a pre-purchase inspection. The price of it is well worth the headaches that you will save from not buying a lemon.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:58 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Ahhhh youth! You are young, then an adult, then young(at heart) again. I'm 42 now, my first Porsche was a '78 924. I then had a '83 944, but got married in '88 and said bye to Porsches. Lo, and behold, I now own 2 again but use neither as a daily driver. I have a Ford PU and a company car so the Porsches are pleasure only. And, with the age on these cars, that's a good thing, I can devote my time to restoration and mods. Both of mine have less than 100k miles but lots of years on 'em. I wouldn't want to use them as daily drivers! My advice, buy something cheap as a daily driver until you can afford to keep it up. Buy a project car if you want, just don't depend on it! You'll have lots more fun......
Old 12-07-2003, 11:29 PM
keith
Drifting

Fuzz - I say do it! With this exception: get a 924S, not a 924 (unless it is a 931/924turbo). The 924S is better on paper than a 944, and is cheaper, due to the lesser sex appeal of narrow fenders.

As far as buying and fixing, I did it on my TR7, then 124 Spyder Fiat, then TR6 w/302, then Squareback (high school), then 68 Rustang, then a slew of motorcycles, then TR7, then 70 Mustang Fastback, then Nissan Pickup, then 944, (college) then 951, then 951 and 924S (soon to be turbocharged).

-and I COULDN'T AND CAN'T AFFORD ANY OF THEM!!!!!!

do you own labor and learn, and have fun.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:57 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Yeah. if you are from anywhere near Colorado, I'd come help ya fix it. it's not hard to learn. and un-like modern cars, it only has 1 computer, so it's easy to diagnose.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:04 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a project 924S for $1000.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:04 AM
ljd-924SE
Racer

hey jeff,

i'm 22 - here's my story. uncle GAVE me a non-running 81 924 turbo a couple years ago, he got tired of throwing money at the car (this is the 2.0 liter audi engine turbocharged). i was stoked. for about a year, i wasted a bunch of money trying to get her back in running order. then, i gave up, parted out the car and luckily got all my money back.

recently i purchased an 924S sport edition with 63000 for a great price of $3800 from a fellow rennlister (and a really nice guy). i'm absolutely thrilled with the car. there's a couple pics of her if you click the link to my car domain in the signature of this post.

she does have a few bugs to be worked out and that is what you need to anticipate. these cars need attention, they are not the civic si's that the punk down the street drives. i'm assuming you don't want to be part of that crowd and i commend you. but for your newly aquired status, your burden is time and money.

however, i'm gonna recommend that you save up another grand towards the initial purchase. if you can't drive her anyway, might as well keep saving up.

the 2.0 audi 924 doesn't require a $400 dollar guage to tension the timing belt. so you can do that maintenance yourself. with the 924S 2.5, you really need a professional for that job - just one more thing to consider. saving on maintenance is going to be key for you.

so i'm going to go out on a limb and recommend the base 924 for you. many will laugh, but i think in your case, it may be smarter. plus, you could do the delorto carburator upgrade as your winter project and learn a lot while making the old 924 much more fun to drive. i bet none of the punks down the street have any idea how to tweek a carburator.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:20 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Or, if you can find a way, become GOOD friends with a Professional Porsche Technician. then borrow the tool and do the service yourself.

Also, if you do become good friends with a porsche tech, he may discount your work. that's what I did, but only cuz I worked at a Porsche dealer before buying my Porsche. lotsa fun.

I say: save a little longer, then buy the 924S, and keep an extra $1000.00 for maintinance. things to look for if you get an S:
-make sure the timing belt has been done within the last 3000 miles. if it nears the end of that, have it done ASAP.
-of course, check for if it's been wrecked.
-brakes...not too cheap on these cars
-H2O pump. should be done with timing belt

Happy hunting. the S is worth it.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are lots of horror stories about how much they cost to keep up. The main things to remember here are:

1) get the best example you can
2) budget about $500 for immediate issues (these cars are older than you)
3) learn to do your own work
4) learn to do your own work
5) see 3 & 4

Doing your own work will save big time $$$. Many parts can be sourced from Ebay, other Rennlisters, PCA, salvage yards, or cross referenced to VW/Audi. The issue that I would be most concerned with is rust. That is never easy to fix. Good luck and welcome to the group.

Quick Reply: Ok, considering a 924 N/A....but opinions first....