Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, considering a 924 N/A....but opinions first....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 05:27 PM
Fuzzbeaner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, you guys seem really up on the S....or maybe just down the N/A....

From what I had been told in another smaller forum, and seen myself from parts, it looked like the 924 Vanilla was really my best choice, in that parts are much cheaper, and the base vehical too.

Are there any 924 N/A and S/Turbo owners out there who can give me a comparison of the two? Maybe in table form.....

Thanks for your thoughts,

-Jeff
Old 12-08-2003, 06:35 PM
icat
Race Car

Stick with a 924S. Your initial price will not be that different and you'll get a much more refined car.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:35 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Dave is pretty much right on with the steps to follow...I loved my old 77 924NA, they handle great and the low power is mostly offset by the low weight. They're very chuckable. A 924S will be faster but generally speaking more expensive to initially buy, but no less likely to cost money as time goes by versus the 2.0 cars.

The horror stories about maintenance are only in proportion to the value of the car...Just because you can get three cars for $1000, doesn't mean that buying those VW parts that you WILL need later marked "Porsche" will be a cheap process. You don't hear so much out of the 911 crowd about maintenance horror stories because the value of the cars are higher as is the typical owner tax bracket...any Porsche will be relatively costly to maintain versus a Honda Accord or whatever. Just go into it with your eyes open.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Fuzzbeaner
Advanced

Ok, I still think I'm going to go for a 924 N/A. I know it's less powerful, but I don't plan to be dragging or anything, as long as it can maintain 65 Mph I'm fine, and good handling will keep my parents calm *hopefully*. The extra cost for an S seems to be around a grand, which would be harsh to save up....

-Jeff
Old 12-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Fuzzbeaner
...I know it's less powerful, but I don't plan to be dragging...
Good. we have enough ricers buying our cars thinking they will be fast in a drag race as it is. These cars are made for the handleing, not their speed. they have been designed to run on the race track, not on the drag strip. I'm glad that you aren't planning on dragging it, because you'd break something if you did. most likely: the clutch.

Anyway, another thing, an early 924 MAY have a 4 speed transmission. IMHO, get a 5. later 924 NA's will have them. all 924S and (i think) 931 also do. but like people say, if ya learn to turn wrenches, you'll save lots of money. all it takes is tools (in metric), and a desire to get the damn thing running again

Happy hunting
-Geoff
Old 12-09-2003, 12:21 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to add that for the cost of one timing belt job on a 924S, you can get a decent tool set. Since you are set on a 924NA, I'd also like to suggest visiting and joining 924.org. Don't buy the first one you see, look at and drive several and buy the best one you can afford as a starter.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:40 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes. www.924board.org is a great 924 Only website. it's got a forum like here, but it's smaller and more focused. the non-forum website is www.924.org check it out. it's great
Old 12-09-2003, 12:46 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Look into the 80-82 N/A. It has the best transmission (Identical to the 944 - 5 speed.), the most power (factory claimed no power increase, but 5-10 hp is gained from the higher compression pistons. (9.0 vs. 8.5 in the 77-79). Also, by 81/82, the fuel injection system had an added 02 sensor to make the car run even smoother. Parts aren't bad at all, much better than the 944, and the car is MUCH easier to work on compared the 944. for $2000, you can find a great example.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:02 AM
adie
Pro

Here's the deal, I got a 944 for $2000 CAN, it's 19 years old and had the timing belt done 2000 Km ago, everything checked out and the last owner had kept all the reciepts for the last 12 years that he owned it, I spent $300 CAN for new leads/cap and rotor and I'm driving. Someone has just offered you a 924s for little money, you could probably get someone on this site to look it over for you, parts don't have to cost the earth and you have the parents car if you need to chase a part, also you have back up if the engine decides to retire early, it's not the end of the world, you can buy any car and the engine could give up any time, at least with this car you may get an honest history so you know what your getting into. I'd get one drive it and worry about the other stuff later, it's a first car so enjoy it for what it is rather than what it could be. There are loads of bargins out there, look at loads and you will find some piles of rubbish and some stunning bargins, don't expect to get a collectors car but as long as you enjoy the car then it's worth every penny you spend on it. If the seats are ripped, so what, 90% of them are, along with the cracked dash, but next time you take the bend that you would normally slow down for with your foot planted and a silly grin on your face you'll remember why you don't drive a civic.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:31 PM
Fuzzbeaner
Advanced

Alrighty, come Spring (and with the Job gods willing - might get laid off end of the year...) I'm going to start looking at 924's for the purpose of buying instead of just absorbing.

I'm already a member at the 924.org forums, and have been sponging up information there to.

I apprechiate the differing opinions I got, but I'm glad in the end it seemed that the 924 N/A was still my best choice.

On a final note - where should I go about looking for 924s to buy? Classifieds? Ebay? Driving around until I see one?

Thanks!

-Jeff
Old 12-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

upkeep... expect about 120$ a month in upkeep on an overall average- that's where Im at afte 6 years into it. The first year may kill you unless you get a PPI. check out www.clarks-garage.com

924S.. what can I say.. you'll love one.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:58 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Location: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA

Bargain basement is no way to be buying a Porsche lol even another $500 will help you a lot. This is probably not the best board to be consulting on a Pre-S 924 because most here are 944 or 924S guys. There are a few things you should toss around in your head before dumping money into a 924, for how many 924’s were made a majority are junk today. From what I hear the Audi engine is very finicky and had a hot start problem that was not ever completely fixed on the US models (When the 944 came out the 924 all but disappeared from the US not coming back till the re-skinned 944 the 924S). Also the brakes are not the greatest in the world, they went with a very strange front disc rear drum brake set up which from what I hear from a lot of 924 owners,is will bellow par compared to the 944’s all around disc breaks. Also don’t expect to do much with the wheels the 924 came with a 4 lug set up compared to the more standard 5 lug this can be changed with early 944 parts but still will cost $$$$. You have to remember the 924 was considered a very average car in its day and its day has long passed. Unlike some people like to think fenders were not just thrown on and a new engine put in when they created the 944. The 944 fixed a majority of the flaws the 924. Just because you do not have the timing belt to worry about in the 924 does not mean there will be 100 other problems that might not be there in the newer 944, making the 924 not the greatest candidate for fixing up or restoring. My car was in great condition when I got it but I still had to put $900 in cosmetics that the 924 shares with the 944. I would hate to think how much you would have to put into a questionable condition 924 just to make it good Plus add what mechanics might go wrong. Its just like the old saying you get what you pay for and an old 924 is a risk in many ways.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said Robby. as with ANY 15 year old car - even older, there are PM and bad PO issues. Add Porsche part prices on top of that.. You get my drift.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:03 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're looking for transportation, forget it, the maintenance will kill you.

If you can handle some downtime, it might work out. But make damn sure you pay the extra $150 or whatever for a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic you select and who really knows these cars.

Look at several before you buy, and walk away if the seller won't agree to a PPI.

Few things are more expensive than a cheap Porsche.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:20 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are deals out there to be had, but it takes luck, a lot of looking, be willing to travel, and having cash money on hand. I paid $6k for my n/a a couple of years ago, and while it only had 81k on the clock, I feel like I paid top dollar. On the other hand, I bought my 951 with 72k on the clock for $4500, but I happened to catch a guy who had owned the car since new, had TONS of money, (his grandfather owned a well-known fitness equipment company) had just inherited a BMW and a Mercedes, and didn't really know what it was worth. The car was driven about a thousand miles a year for the last 5 years. I contacted him and drove 3 states away to look at the car and caried cold, hard, cash. Talked him down from $6K which I would've gladly paid. I looked at dozens of 951's for a year or so before I bought it, and all were much more expensive. Just be patient, look at lots of cars, and have the cash ready at a moments notice...........

Quick Reply: Ok, considering a 924 N/A....but opinions first....