Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuilding my baby...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 03:23 PM
944x-rated
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilding my baby...

hey guys,

im trying to rebuild my 951, but unfortunately, i cannot find any good sites for performance engine parts. i figured i'd throw y'all what i want and y'all can give me some ideas:

i want my engine put together w/ better than factory parts. but on the other hand, i don't want a complete race car, maintaining streetability is crucial. i was thinking of having my crank worked on(lightened, balanced???), upgraded bearings, connecting rods, pistons, piston rings, and i have already found a place to do the head work. i was wanting to go w/ the 944 "turbo cup" turbo. i don't want to go crazy, but would like for a mid 12 sec. ride. nitrous is out of the quistion for right now, mid 12's turbo, better w/ the NAWSSSSS...

btw. im pretty ignorant about porsche engines, and my friends have asian imports, and they have their motors sleeved...i was told that i might not have to do that, can someone set me straight.

thanks,

dustin r.

Old 12-04-2003, 04:09 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

if you drag race the car, sell it. you're only going to break the transmission.

i'm sure there are plenty of guys here who'll tell you what kind of upgrades to get though...
Old 12-04-2003, 04:20 PM
I-Wana-951
Racer

race with your friends from a rolling start.. u will spank them
Drag racing will ruin your car, they were not disigned for that.. if you want to drag race go get a corvette

keith
Old 12-04-2003, 04:30 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Originally posted by I-Wana-951
race with your friends from a rolling start.. u will spank them
Drag racing will ruin your car, they were not disigned for that.. if you want to drag race go get a corvette

keith
Yes, these cars are meant to go arround turns. Not in a strait lines.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:30 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

They are right, but if you do infact drag it, have fun and do what you want
Old 12-04-2003, 04:51 PM
944x-rated
Intermediate

i know im a newb on this forum, but hwy. racing is what i normally do. i also like to do auto x, but the mid 12's was a reference point in engine performance. im going to upgrade the suspension as well, but for now, im rebuilding the engine.

dustin
Old 12-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sad fact is that a mid 12 sec Porsche does the 1/4 in about 13. The same things that make it handle so well make it a POS off the line, they will not launch well without ripping themselves apart.
And BTW, highway racing is for morons and losers, take it to a track!
Old 12-04-2003, 04:59 PM
I-Wana-951
Racer

Arnt 944 NA beter at auto X because they have more torque coming out of turns? and 951 arnt as good because of turbo lag?

just a thought,
keith
Old 12-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The word is spelled Aren't as in the contraction Are Not. My goodness, do they not teach spelling anymore?

There are loads of places to buy parts for them.
www.speedforceracing.com
www.lindseyracing.com
www.vitesseracing.com
www.gururacing.net
www.andersonmotorwerks.com

Try checking the sponsors page here.

You will have a tough time getting help by listing mid 12s and highway racing as goals. Those activities are usually frowned upon. Drag racing because some parts are just not strong enough to hold up to launches, and highway racing because it is moronic and unsafe. You might also search the archives (I think we are getting close to answering every question ever asked :>)) From the Turbo board you might get better answers about HP. What caused the need for the engine rebuild, might I ask?

One more thing, choose who you take advice from carefully, I would steer clear of those without cars (for example).
Old 12-04-2003, 05:13 PM
I-Wana-951
Racer

They stopped teaching spelling in 6th grade.. =\
Old 12-04-2003, 05:25 PM
mochman
Pro

mmmmmm. highway racing.....forbidden median.mmmmmm.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

there is really nothing that can be done to get the 951 to "launch" without killing the engine. the car is NOTORIOUS for having turbo lag, but taking off once over 3k RPM. As for nitrous, IMHO, you will be crucified if you post stuff saying you're putting nitrous on your Porsche. Like everyone else says, DON'T DRAG RACE THESE CARS!! and also, any REAL racer knows, the FIRST upgrade you do is the suspension. once you can drive the car with upgraded suspension and get a good feel for it, THEN you up the brakes, THEN the motor. What good is going fast if you can't turn or stop eh?

Do what ya want, IMHO, you shouldn't upgrade the engine, and maybe even sell your car to a real enthusiast. 951's aren't rice cars and should never be. and Nitrous, that's a hell no.

Buy a Honda or Mitsubishi.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Matt H
Race Director

They stopped teaching spelling in 6th grade.. =\

I can tell. I understand the occasional typo but some people are unreadable. I can understand the europeans (though most of them do quite well, Konstatin being the exception, he can be very hard to read at times) it is not their native language. My grammar isnt great but aside from the occasional typo I think people can read what I have written. Are schools still requiring English classes or are we so caught up in multinationalism that it is more appropriate to teach a second language? What about essays,reports,etc? Are you guys allowed to turn them in the in the unreadable drivel that you post with?

Dont mind me, I am just pissy at work today, too much going on to tolerate minor mistakes.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Matt H
Race Director

The first upgrade is the nut behind the wheel.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:44 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy guy's, it is his car after all. It might be best if we offer some guidance.

I posted some websites in your other post (upgrades/mods forum) most of which Matt H posted above.

Give those sites a visit and get back to us for futher help.

Good luck

Quick Reply: rebuilding my baby...