Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a good day...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 12:23 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn man sorry to hear! Let me know if I can help in any way.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:41 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perry,You might want to send a resume to "WHBC"am/fm here in Canton .the GM is leaving at the end of this year and we have not hear of a replacement as of now.Great local station,check it out.Also only and hour away from the next "FEST".....Fred
Old 11-25-2003, 01:02 AM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I am shocked. Don't know what to say but that I am so sorry to hear that. I don't know anyone in the biz, and don't really know of any way to help with the possible career change (I'll keep my ears open), but if there is any other way I can help, even if it's just for lending an ear to vent into, let me know. You're a great guy with much to offer Brian, and you are right, it is their loss. You'll land on your feet.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:38 PM
jjjr944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian---sorry to hear the news. I had the same thing done up to me Nov 1 last year. Not a great thing to have happen right before the holidays.

I , like you, have plenty of contacts here in Cincy for media places, including TV. Shoot me over an email at :
jjaspers@cinci.rr.com
with a general idea of what you've been doing and where you want to go if, indeed, you wanna stay in media.
I have your e-mail so I'll shoot this that way as well.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:01 PM
slinky
Burning Brakes

Perry, sorry to hear.

We got similar news today, though not quite as bad as yours. My husband and I both work in advertising. His company is talking layoff since some of their clients decided not to follow through with what they had originally planned to do (and spend). His boss doesn't want to have to lay anyone off, so instead she decided it would be better to reduce his salary by 15k per year. I guess I should feel happy he still has a job, but we've been planning our lives around what we expected his salary to be. We just paid for our wedding and bought a new car. Plus, we were just starting to look for a house. We kind of feel like the rug has been pulled out from under us.

And my husband just started this job in May after being laid off from his last one. Grrrr!
Old 11-25-2003, 06:31 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian.
Were did you work and what did you do?
Was it channel 9 ?
Old 11-25-2003, 07:13 PM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear Brian. Why not head out to Santa Barbara and turn GURU into a goldmine with your management/ marketing expertise?! Or, fire up the 51 and come out for some skiing.

good luck
Old 11-25-2003, 11:08 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Perry, Sorry to hear about the situation. The timing sucks big time. I hope it turns out to be a trigger for something bigger and better for you.
Good luck.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:56 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Brian,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

However, don't let this setback cause you to become risk-adverse. Right when I was going to buy a home, there was a layoff at my workplace. I didn't get cut, but it got me spooked enough to want to wait "for things to be stable" before I pulled the trigger. And I missed the boat on the housing market waiting for my job situation to stabilize.

In other words, you can't let your job dictate what major life decisions you will take as you get older (such as take on more debt to buy a house or car, get married, etc.). When I was forced to move (to San Jose) to keep my job, I thought it was the worst thing in the world. It took a while for me to realize that work is only work, a company can't really force you to do anything.

So, keep your head up, have a great Thanksgiving with your family, bomb out your resume to as many places as you can, and enjoy your month of December waiting for responses.

Kevin
Old 11-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Paul C 944
Burning Brakes

My wife works at NBC Ill have her check for any posting in OHIO!
Old 11-26-2003, 04:02 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Well.. because of the position I held, I cannot disclose any more information than I have.

I can say that I was a programming manager for a major radio station here in Cinci. I would like to do the same, and have some leads already. At the moment, I am packing up the car to head across the states for an interview in St. Louis, then on to Atlanta. Next week, Portland, Seattle, Denver. Hopefully one of the locations will present that golden opportunity.

We'll see.... perhaps I could go out and help Danno..... that whole "paying the bills thing" makes me a bit gun shy.

I'm off the list till Monday. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2003, 05:18 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow so you could work here in St. Louis and make at least one radio station here suck less than it does now? Cooooool !!!
Old 11-26-2003, 06:07 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Brian. Take care and I hope things work out!
Old 12-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Today, out of the blue, I was wondering how Perry951 was making out with the search for a new job(any news?), a few hours later I found myself in his shoes. I'm trying to enjoy the irony in that last statement to cheer myself up. It's been coming for a while, I was the "up and coming" guy a few years ago until the big regime change, the new GM got rid of anyone he felt was faithful to the old GM from my level, up. Several were tossed for stupid reasons, some were treated like crap until they quit...I've been putting up with too much crap for almost 3 years. My turn cane today, as I was cleaning out my office I heard him tell someone "I've been waiting for this moment for a long time."

If anyone has a contact in wireless comm/construstion, or knows of an opening for a PM or foreman, please let me know.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:39 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Damn Dave... I feel for ya.

What I can suggest is that you take the opportunity to sort out your ****. Things you have not done in a while, pull the unemployment for a little bit, and land something better.

I have had the chance this last week to see a lot of people I miss, family and friends. I would never had this chance if I was working. Headgasket for me next week... something I have needed to do.

For the job, a good old friend called the day after I got it, and offered me a job on the spot. This would be in Atlanta. I'm going down Thursday and Friday to check out the place, meet the staff, and look around the area for a nice place to live. I all seems to be working out just fine.

Although... I HATE MOVING!! I just moved all my stuff 3 months ago, and finally have it how I want. Sheesh..

Hang in there... I know a number of you are crossing the same paths. Take advantage of what you may see as a bad situation. If you are good people, good people will find you.

Quick Reply: Not a good day...