Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a good day...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Harry - The industry is very cut throat. Downsizing has been happening in many media markets across the nation for years, now it is Cincinnati's turn. The crazy thing is that not one of the 400+ employees that worked for and with me thought I would be the one shoved under the bus.

Like I said earlier, their loss is greater than mine.

I am sure things will pan out, the frustrating part is the timing. I have increased my debt 3 fold thinking that I was at a stable point in life. Hopefully that gem of a job will appear soon, if not, I am gonna have to start selling off my belongings. (No, the 951 will stay, even if it becomes my home, and my coffin!)
Old 11-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear. OTOH, you are talented, resourceful and game enough to pick yourself up by the bootstraps and move on to something more worthwhile. All the best to you, and may things work out soon enough!

BTW, what goes around, comes around. Same thing happened to a close buddy of mine back in April. It took him 2 months to get back in the game and a few weeks ago he learned that his pompous a## boss had ended up being let go himself!
Old 11-24-2003, 05:00 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian,

Bummer. I can't really relate...I've never been fired 'cause I'm self-employed. However, in times like these I believe a resourseful person should always capitalize on their strentghs and move forward. I've said this before but I'll say it again: your 'Ill-fated rebuild' web site is one of the reasons I decided to buy a 951. I believe you have a true talent for explaining things both visually and through the written word. It may indeed be a blessing in disguise...Hang in there

Regards,

Andre

Old 11-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about that Brian. I wish you the best. Good hunting.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:51 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have said it before several times, but it bears repeating.

radio is run by ********.

It's a friggin cash cow- most of the stations I know of are owned by barely functional idiots with zero business sense. they employ talent to fix the problems, make the audience grow and take all the graft from the RIAA and ASCAP.

A little story to make you smile Perry...

Pat and I were doing overnights in an all-talk format (A VERY strange following BTW)He and I were fired from WIZ! (station changed to protect me from any lawsuits) at 2 am on a Saturday morning before Christmas. The assclown weilding the axe stated we didnt play enough music the week prior to the firing.
so we had a week to do something uniquely stupid...
nothing is over until WE decide it is.. and yes, a lot of beer was involved.

..we edited several hundred songs together (2 second increments of the first 2 seconds of each song- we didn't have to pay for airplay due to the length of each song played..)
We then became "The most music per hour on any station anywhere" in the promo's we did the night before launching this giant IN-YOUR-FACE assault on the owners.

Playing 200 songs in heavy rotation (the entire cart took under 7 minutes total, and we played it every 23 minutes each 4 hour shift..)
The firing we deserved. we egged it on. but we laughed every minute of the last week we were on the air.

You'll do fine. best of luck.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in San Antonio one time when a DJ had apparently been fired. Since I was stopping frequently to visit my stores I hadnt noticed the "Funky Cold Medina" had been playing for almost SIX HOURS! He, apparently, locked himself in and decided that is what he was going to play, over and over and over and over................too funny. I am sure you will do fine.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:28 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I never got fired from radio, but I did do a gig on a small market CW station (maybe I should say micro market). Anyway, it was interesting and fun in some respects - but the pay was minimum wage and there were no benefits. Still, it was show business and that accounts for something (not sure what).

Hang in there, I've got a feeling you'll land on your feet.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:32 PM
Highway T
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear it. I will be unemployed as of the end of December so can commiserate

The silver lining for me is that I get to go home.

Good luck,

Chris
Old 11-24-2003, 07:54 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I understood you worked like a dog, now they treat you like one.

Hope it works out for you.

As I told Chris_924s you could always become a Funeral Director/Embalmer.

Hell, you'd be right at home, working like a dog.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:12 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry to hear that Perry, but Im sure you will come out on top in the end. Good luck in Indy, thats where Im headed in a month or so. If ya need anything, let me know.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:00 PM
Enzo's Nightmare
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Matt H
I was in San Antonio one time when a DJ had apparently been fired. Since I was stopping frequently to visit my stores I hadnt noticed the "Funky Cold Medina" had been playing for almost SIX HOURS! He, apparently, locked himself in and decided that is what he was going to play, over and over and over and over................too funny. I am sure you will do fine.
A similar thing happened here in St. Louis in about 1989 or 1990, but the DJ was playing "New Kids On the Block" instead.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:33 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian both my brother in law and my Sister are in media management, media marketing, media planning. I will be quick to ask them if they know of any openings in the market in the Cinnci - Dayton area.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:09 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 207 Likes on 135 Posts

Yo P man.. Hate to hear it. Sneak out some of those handheld FM transmitters if it isn't too late.. We'll us them to broadcast the cruise tunes for Fest 04. Hate to see ya in limbo, but I think you'll land on your feet. How about becoming a roving 944 mechanic? Come do a steering rack for me, I'll put you up, pay ya and feed you too. Find that pesky oil leak and I'll toss in an extra Benjamin. I'm sure a nice collection of tools would fit in the Cruiser... don't worry, my garage is now HEATED to the tune of 60k BTU. I'm off W/Th for a while.

Talk to ya..
Old 11-24-2003, 10:21 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry Brian. Things work in mysterious ways sometimes but typically it's for the better. I'll chill a Guiness in the fridge for when you hit your feet running again. I know that it will be very soon!
Old 11-24-2003, 10:57 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you know i have my eyes open for ya.

CNN/Time Warner/AOL did the same thing to me in Jan of 2001 after i dedicated the previous 18 months of my life covering the ENTIRE Bush campaign. After being trusted with shooting - if not the most important - maybe the most visible story in THE WORLD at the time, after the inaguaration, i suddenly don't fit into their merger plans. talk about feeling USED.

CNN just wacked about 25 photographers in Washington and more in NY this week -happy holidays. Unfortunately Clear Channel has the same rep.

I'm glad you lasted this long and i'm sure you're correct in saying that its THEIR loss - not yours. use the severence pay and time to figure things out. not often do you get a chance to change course. trust me - they just did you a HUGE favor. i would have NEVER gotten my freelance business off the ground had i not been forced to. its the best thing they ever did for me.

now - go forth and prosper!!!!

Quick Reply: Not a good day...