Notices
914/914-6 Forum 1969-1976
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Pad Needed! And The Story of a '74 1.8...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

For your entertainment...(by necessity cleaning has been kept to a minimum for some of this job). No sense contaminating ground water when, after the car is running/drivable, I can blast its bottom side at the do-it-yourself car wash.

The upper trans mount washer was upside down, and the washer under the nut was a 911 engine mount washer. The side shifter assembly at the trans is installed, as is a used coupler with a TimeSert for the pin screw and new Weltmeister bushings. The engine mount bolt/nut/washer replaced the butchered hardware that came with the car. The right inboard CV joint is a 6-screw type, but the flange is a 4-screw so I plugged the two extra holes - after I took the picture!

After all that, the shifter itself also bit me on the butt! More on that later. But, success! I found the green/white wire from the 14-pin terminal, pin #9, on the relay board in the engine compartment. The wire, in the center tunnel, was in the rats nest that used to be connected to the seat belt/no-start system. I fixed its end, made a new wire from there to the heater lever, connected everything, turned on the ignition, and pulled up the heater lever. The blower works, and it's smooth and quiet!
Attached Images        
Old 03-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are going to need some YouTube videos when this thing is all done and on the road.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
We are going to need some YouTube videos when this thing is all done and on the road.
Yes, if I manage to survive this experience! I can't remember a car that there was a problem with every system, and some that would have rendered the car un-drivable years sooner than the PO's claim of "it hasn't run in eight years." Yes, the heater blower did work, a big surprise, but only after I had to create an engine compartment wire harness and then do another wiring repair inside the car. Don't misunderstand, I love the challenge this car brings to the table, but even I didn't think that it could possibly be this bad!

Case in point; the shift linkage. It leaked badly at the side shifter to trans point. The rear pin screw was an early 911 type that bottomed out before it tightened the linkage. The front pin screw was overtightened until the internal allen became round. While drilling out that screw I misjudged the depth and damaged the tunnel rod. After parts were bought, and assembly was done, I go to install the shift tower. I ask you, how could the car have been driven long enough and far enough to damage the shift lever this bad?
Attached Images   
Old 03-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Wow. Someone must have tried to damage the car as bad as it was. Nice work fixing her up theough!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Wow. Someone must have tried to damage the car as bad as it was. Nice work fixing her up theough!
Thanks, Matt. I will drive this damn thing someday! Shifter is finished - I had a perfect lever in my transmission stuff (don't ask me why!). Charcoal cannister - finished, no more fumes! I think that I found Z1 this evening, using various pictures and diagrams in various resources.

Fresh oil in engine, new coil & condenser installed. Tomorrow I will start the thing and decide if I need to remove the injectors and let them soak in PB Blaster for a couple of days, or actually limp the car around the block to see if it clears up. One of these days I will post a list of what I've had to fix...somehow I don't think I'll re-coup the 100 + hours labor I've got in the car so far!

Ah, what the heck. It's been fun!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

GOOD LUCK WITH THE STARTING!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how it goes as soon as you try. Good luck!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Darn! Spotted a drop of fresh engine oil on the crankcase sump strainer cover. When I took it down and cleaned it, I only had one very old pair of paper gaskets. They looked OK, but must not have seated just right, so I've ordered new gaskets. I did slightly loosen the nut, and lightly tap the cover with a mallet to maybe find a better seat for it. That was an hour ago, so far no more oil. Maybe I'll still be able to start it later today...we'll see.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

If you're worried about one drop of oil from a 914, you won't ever be able to drive it! Start it up!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
If you're worried about one drop of oil from a 914, you won't ever be able to drive it! Start it up!
LOL! I'm just thinking if cold oil manages to seep past, what's hot oil going to do? Anyway, delivery of new gaskets has been confirmed, something I should have done three weeks ago, so all is well. The engine had enough condensation in it that I'll probably run it up to temp a couple of times and then change it again. You're right, let it leak!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Well, it started right up, but runs horrible. Now comes the battle, diagnosing the pressure regulator, pulling injectors and filling them with PB Blaster, resistance checks, etc. And I've got to get my CO% machine out of storage, order the stuff that let's it work, and go from there. FYI; the valves are now quiet, the compression is excellent, and I do know where 7.5 degrees BTDC is. Progress.

In thinking more about this, and reading the plugs again, I'm pretty sure that I have a lean condition (sluggish + intake backfires), so before I buy an AFM I'm going to pull the injectors, fill them with PB Blaster, and pull the manifold runners and replace the gaskets.

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 04-01-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

OK, this is interesting. Found four NEW injectors for an outstanding price, and, of course, ordered them along with a pair of intake/head manifold gaskets, and a set of four connecting tubes. I sure hope that this pays off big time, and I'm doing it because I tested the resistance at the pair of multiple pins, on the intake air sensor, mentioned in the manual - both readings were good so I'm sticking with the old AFM for now.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

One manifold runner off, seemed to be snug at the head (no lock washers under the nuts and they sure weren't torqued to 16-18 lb/ft!), but the other end was something else! Check out those nice "round" tubes that are expected to provide an airtight seal (impossible with the way they were). Before and after pictures, I got them as round as I could using lot's of experience touching up customer 911 tailpipes that had contacted various things. Now I wish that I would have sprayed aerosol parts cleaner around the connections to see what happened, but, heck, it needed doing anyway.

What a car! More cleaning tomorrow, and I think that I'll take a break and paint the rear valance and wiper arms.
Attached Images      

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 04-02-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

So, speaking of getting screwed by suppliers. Performance Products, now operating under a different banner (Eckler's), accepted an order from me for the parts I needed to reassemble my intake manifolds. The order was placed on line on 4/1/11, using their 2011 catalog, and a follow-up e-mail was sent to me that the order was received and I would receive notice regarding shipment.

One day gone, 2, then 3, then 4, then 5... WTH? I finally call them. A rep looks up my order, the throttle cable was sent via FedEx, but all of the intake parts, injectors, etc. were on back order. WHAT!?!, I said. I've got my car apart, and you don't notify me when you can't ship something? WTH?

The rep says, we will get your parts. I ask when? The rep says, I don't know, there's no ETA in the computer. I say oh for cryin' out loud, cancel the f'n order and don't even think about charging me the quoted $28 to ship just a throttle cable.

Customer service; dead and buried.

The good news is that my favorite wholesaler had intake runner boots in stock, and AA will supply intake to head gaskets/spacers, and (3) rebuilt injectors. I have the other intake runner off, everything has been cleaned (so much dirt at the aux. air regulator I almost couldn't see it), and it's ready to put together.

In the mean time I repaired the wiring at the horn, finished a "repair" to the front bumper (big dent, chipped paint, and much ugliness under the right over rider), and will install the new safety belts early in the week, build a harness for the interior light, and see if I can figure out how to repair my backpad.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:18 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed since Porsche is not stocking a lot of parts in North America any longer a lot of the parts have to be ordered from Germany. This is really slowing things down. I am waiting for parts my self. Seem the Vendors all show thy have it and you can do your on line order and then you find out a week later the parts are now on order and will ship when they get them.

Looks like from now on we are going have to call first to see if they actually have the part on the shelf or will have to order it from Porsche. Some vendors are better than others.

Quick Reply: Back Pad Needed! And The Story of a '74 1.8...