Notices
914/914-6 Forum 1969-1976
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Pad Needed! And The Story of a '74 1.8...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Back Pad Needed! And The Story of a '74 1.8...

...a sad, abused, bastardized, ignored, color-changed, semi-butchered little car that I hope to someday make into a fun driver (when the weather isn't too hot).

My recently acquired '74 1.8 is coming along...slowly. Thank you for the referrals that I rec'd regarding brake parts and fuel lines. My rear brakes are finished, all flex hoses replaced, master cylinder out, pedal assembly out, and waiting for parts. Old fuel lines in tunnel removed, big mess cleaned up, and new lines on order from Chris @ Tangerine. Pressure line fitting for gas tank remains on order from Porsche, so tank has not been installed. Wheels have been stripped to base metal by a plating company, and powder coated silver. Been wondering how long it's really been since this car ran!

Now, I'm in need of a replacement, black, interior firewall pad (upholstered interior piece). Someone tried to access the seat belt inertia reel areas, without unhooking the panel below the back window, and the board is broken on both sides and has damage along its bottom edge. I need the version that allows for adjustable seats, and I would like a replacement to be as near to excellent as possible.

I will also buy left and right seat belt harnesses, with inertia reels, if you have good ones (no fraying, sticking retractors, good chrome on buckle yokes, etc.). One more thing (for now, anyway), if you have a center tunnel tray ( that fits between the seats) with padded, hinged, black lid, in very good condition, I will buy that as well. Please pm me with details if you have any or all of the above parts, and you're willing to part with them.

Regarding the firewall pad, if anyone has actually successfully repaired the board please let me know what you did!

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 03-10-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:51 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure the padded center (factory) was ever hinged.. Maybe just the aftermarket ones.

I bought for my '76 a replacement inertia reel belt. Never installed it, so its somewhere in the garage. I'll even try to find where I bought it from if that helps.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
I'm not sure the padded center (factory) was ever hinged.. Maybe just the aftermarket ones.

Hmmmm...I swear that I remember a setup that had a shallow storage box, and a padded lid that hinged at the back (on the later cars). This is going back 20+ years for me, so maybe I'm hallucinating!

I bought for my '76 a replacement inertia reel belt. Never installed it, so its somewhere in the garage. I'll even try to find where I bought it from if that helps.

Let me know if you find it!
It's 5:00 somewhere...
Old 10-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Rec'd the tunnel lines from Tangerine, beautiful product. Put the 9.5mm pressure line in, all good - until it was time to hook up to the fuel pump. Ugh. Old cars...the pump turns out to be a '75/76 unit with a 12mm/13mm inlet. How to get from 9.5mm to 12mm? Buy a 9.5mm to 8mm adapter from Chris, install an 8mm in, 12mm out fuel filter from Redline Technik.com, and connect the filter to the pump. Sheeeesh. And then I looked at the engine compartment wiring at the relay board. Not sure right now if Excedrine or a third glass of wine will work better...
Old 10-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Always the third glass of wine. Cures the headache and makes work easier.

As for the back pad, I used to have tons. Try looking at 914world or 914club (whatever their name of the day is). That is one of the parts that doesn't rust, so they are everywhere. Also try http://www.highperformancehouse.com/ they are supposed to have tons of 914 stuff.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta love the parts that don't rust. I just remember the guy who was blown away that nobody wanted his FREE 914 top. I remember telling him I had three someone could have too.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Always the third glass of wine. Cures the headache and makes work easier.

As for the back pad, I used to have tons. Try looking at 914world or 914club (whatever their name of the day is). That is one of the parts that doesn't rust, so they are everywhere. Also try http://www.highperformancehouse.com/ they are supposed to have tons of 914 stuff.

Thanks, Matt, I placed an ad on 914World.

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Gotta love the parts that don't rust. I just remember the guy who was blown away that nobody wanted his FREE 914 top. I remember telling him I had three someone could have too.
Jay, let me know if you still have a good top! I would much rather put a nice one on the car rather than figure out how to re-finish my seriously ugly one!

Also, on the off-chance, if anyone reading this has one, I need an engine wiring harness for the '74 1.8 w/L-jetronic (AFC).

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 10-25-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Still having trouble finding a back pad board. Upholstery pieces are available, but nobody seems to make the board yet. I've checked with a number of possible sources, even Automobile Atlanta, so far no luck.

The good news is that I've found an engine wire harness, which is being shipped as I write this.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You really can't find a backpad? They usually are everywhere.

Are you trying to find just the board or the whole backpad?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And are you asking for the firewall pad or the backpad. If you say firewall pad, people are going to think of the sound insulation, not the upholstry.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

I've since learned the proper name for the part I need, which is the backpad (upholstered board). I have not been able to find one, but I'm to the point that I will gladly buy a board with no cracks, and all four clips intact, and then buy a new upholstery kit and recover it if needed. (My backpad is badly broken at both upper corners, as though someone tried to access the seat belt inertia reels without removing the lower screws and dropping the pad down.)
Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

In addition to the other items listed in this thread, I need a center tunnel junk tray with upholstered lid/cushion for a circa '74 914 car. This is the tray that fits on the center tunnel between the seats. If you have a nice one in black please pm me. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Update. I have located and purchased a back pad, center tunnel tray & cushion. I have also removed at least 80' of not needed wire from the car, and have begun the task of making the electrics (from the interior light to the starter solenoid to the F.I. double relay, to the...) function as originally intended.

Does anyone have seat belt inertia reels in excellent condition for sale? Let me know...
Old 11-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The seat belt reels are going to be tough to find. I found a place that rebuilds them, but I'll have to do some major searching. They were listed in an article in the Hagerty Ins. Magazine. Some googling might find them.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is out there, Matt will find it. He has been to the end of the internet and back ya know. Post some pictures Peter, would love to see the project.

Quick Reply: Back Pad Needed! And The Story of a '74 1.8...