Notices
914/914-6 Forum 1969-1976
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Pad Needed! And The Story of a '74 1.8...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, here are the "assemble" pictures. A tiny set screw holds the switch in the housing, then the assembly slides into the steering column housing, followed by the combo switch, and...guess what? Hint; this is Pete's car. Yep, you guessed it...the starter is bad also. Sheeeesh...well, if it ever makes it to the detailer under its own power, and starts after I get there, I'll have a reliable (probably) car to drive through the winter!
Attached Images     
Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Bosch SR 17X rebuilt starter rec'd, installed and tested. Working perfect, car is back on the road! Starts really sweet with the new ignition switch...

The old, the new, and running!
Attached Images    

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 10-27-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:41 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Peter, you may be reaching the point in this project where you can invest in a new key with the posh lighted, crest adorned, key fob. I have (lemme go look in the glove box to be sure) a virgin key blank that require the lighted fob that were wrongly sent to me by...you guessed it...AA. They are for my 924S, but the same VW stuff that I believe will fit a 914. I also have a crappy lighted fob sans light/button/battery that would be funtional. All yours.
key (944 538 331 00)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
Peter, you may be reaching the point in this project where you can invest in a new key with the posh lighted, crest adorned, key fob. I have (lemme go look in the glove box to be sure) a virgin key blank that require the lighted fob that were wrongly sent to me by...you guessed it...AA. They are for my 924S, but the same VW stuff that I believe will fit a 914. I also have a crappy lighted fob sans light/button/battery that would be funtional. All yours.
key (944 538 331 00)
What an awesome offer! I bought what was billed as a "914" key blank, but when I took it to a locksmith I realized that the long-way grooves didn't match. It turns out that I can't find a locksmith here who can duplicate my only key for the car! I'll gladly take you up on your offer, check out the picture and if your key blank matches my key, I'll take it!!!
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 AM
whalebird
Race Car

I looked and mine appears to be different. This link http://www.eagleday.com/porschekeys.html has a side by side photo at the bottom of the page. 944 is what I have, and it somewhat looks like 914/911 is what you need. Your key is a hardware store example that I have seen time and again and I think it has grooves that allow it to be used for more than one application (BMW/VW/etc). These keys seem 'loose' in the tumbler and I always suggested to the owner that a dedicated Porsche key be sourced to avoid ignition switch(tumbler) problems. My question is; does your new blank insert into any of the lock/ignition tumblers? If it inserts smoothly it may work fine once it's cut. Those generic blanks have additional unused grooves not needed in any particular application I believe. I'm not sure that what I have will work for you but you are welcome to it all the same. I was assuming that the VW super beetle steering column used in the 914 (4 cyl..914/6 has the igniton like a 911 IIRC) and early 44/924S would use the same tumbler.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Very interesting! The blank key slides into the tumblers without effort. I think that I'll have it cut and see what happens. THANK YOU!
Old 11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I bet it will work great. That means, you can get the 911 blank that inserts into the fancy dancy lighted key head thingy...it always impresses when you toss them on the bar at yappy hour LOL.
I'm always careful inserting freshly cut keys. If they have any rough ridges, they may go in but snag on their way out of the tumbler. It may be a good idea to look closly at the key after it's cut and gently file any sharp edges or burrs created in the cutting process.
It could be worse...a 928 for example.

Thinking about you project yesterday. My 924S is cosmetically challenged. All original paint that is simply dead...not faded or hazy...dead. I've been all through the engine and chassis, made some modest performance upgrades and drive it daily. My car is in wonderful, delightful original condition, but looks pretty bad. The wife spoke up and said "why don't you get that thing painted?" This is no small undertaking and would be expensive to be done correctly and with respect to the perfect original(non sunroof) shell.
I figured I would color sand the damn thing to give it bling if only for a month. The original Gaurds red will quickly become a matte pinkish orange as I have found after earlier efforts.
Well after a few hours, several spilled (pink)water pails (I used the dogs water bowl), half a bottle of 3M Finsse-it, and a couple of foam polishing pads the hood and roof now shines. I'll get to the rest of the car later. It was a major pain, and I kept thinking I hope Pete's 914 shines up better than this lump.
Oh, I did attach a new hood badge and gasket thats been in the tool box for a year.
Baby steps.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Well, poop! The master locksmith looked at my key blank and said it wouldn't work. I had him cut it anyway, even so it looked like my SC's keys. Took it home, tried it, wouldn't work. Not even close! Goes in all the way, and that's it.

That said, Whale, you've inspired me with your detailing story. Rather than let a detailer work on my car, and maybe damage synchros or worse while it's at his shop, I'm going to wet-sand the car with 800 grit, and use Griot's polish to try to improve the car. I have a Harbor Freight vari-speed buffer, and I ordered three new 7" foam pads for it. This should get interesting.

Regarding the key - anyone have a blank for a 914?
Old 11-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have cut MANY keys for 914s, and I have never seen one like yours. What the heck is it?

All of them that I have seen have been like the black Porsche key on the right.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:42 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Peter, I used 2000 grit, but I didn't want to make a bigger mess of the paint than it already is.
Sorry about the key deal. I'm inclined to say that the blank is the right one, just the locksmith was doing his best with a old, worn out host key that was probably marginal at best. I had a lot of key issues with Mercedes, what was going on is that people use the same key for decades and the key/tumbler wear together. It was generally accepted that alternating keys every so often helps all the keys wear together with the tumbler. What was happening is people started having issues with their key, then grabbed the other key that had been hanging on a hook for 15 years, put it in the ignition and it wouldn't turn, and often it wouldn't come back out of the tumbler. Also getting rid of the wad of keys, photo holders, can openers etc. and removing the 3 pounds of crap from the keychain helps. You probably have an old key that works in the old tumblers and thats it. You may have your key guy try to cut a new key on a generic blank like you already have to see if it works...maybe $1.50.

http://mysecuritypro.com/automotive.aspx?page=12

Scroll down and check out the crappy Porsche keys, and also a cross referance when you click a key.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turb-OH Brad
I have cut MANY keys for 914s, and I have never seen one like yours. What the heck is it?

All of them that I have seen have been like the black Porsche key on the right.
It's funny, but after cutting the blank, with the black head, that key looks exactly like the key for my '82 SC. We never messed with keys/locks at my shop because we had Santa Monica Lock Service (a fantastic shop) nearby and sent everything to them. That has left me to wonder about this whole deal. Whale mentioned worn keys/tumblers, and I'm very aware of that condition and have held many keys that were far worse than the key I have for my 914. The key that I got with the car fits all of the locks (the doors are stiff because the lock hardware has to be cleaned/lubed, but they work), and the newly cut key won't even try to turn any of the tumblers. Weird.

Whale; I found 2000 grit paper at an O'Reilly Auto Parts here in town! I did a very small section of the rear lid with 800, and it scratched it worse than I thought it would.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
I bet it will work great. That means, you can get the 911 blank that inserts into the fancy dancy lighted key head thingy...it always impresses when you toss them on the bar at yappy hour LOL.
I'm always careful inserting freshly cut keys. If they have any rough ridges, they may go in but snag on their way out of the tumbler. It may be a good idea to look closly at the key after it's cut and gently file any sharp edges or burrs created in the cutting process.
It could be worse...a 928 for example.

Thinking about you project yesterday. My 924S is cosmetically challenged. All original paint that is simply dead...not faded or hazy...dead. I've been all through the engine and chassis, made some modest performance upgrades and drive it daily. My car is in wonderful, delightful original condition, but looks pretty bad. The wife spoke up and said "why don't you get that thing painted?" This is no small undertaking and would be expensive to be done correctly and with respect to the perfect original(non sunroof) shell.
I figured I would color sand the damn thing to give it bling if only for a month. The original Gaurds red will quickly become a matte pinkish orange as I have found after earlier efforts.
Well after a few hours, several spilled (pink)water pails (I used the dogs water bowl), half a bottle of 3M Finsse-it, and a couple of foam polishing pads the hood and roof now shines.
I'll get to the rest of the car later. It was a major pain, and I kept thinking I hope Pete's 914 shines up better than this lump.
Oh, I did attach a new hood badge and gasket thats been in the tool box for a year.
Baby steps.
Yep, baby steps. I did my rear trunk lid with 2,000 grit wet paper, followed by Griot's #1, then #2, then #3, and finished with a coat of Meguiars. Dang! It sure ain't perfect, but I just turned my car's butt into a five-footer from a twenty-footer. The dry-wash scratches, thanks to some PO moron, are just too deep, but my efforts got rid of about 80% of the problems and gave the lid a very nice shine. Now I need to find some time to work on the rattle-canned front lid! If I get a 50% gain on that I'll be really happy! The car is actually starting to look black - baby steps.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:04 PM
whalebird
Race Car

went to the Mille2011. Snapped these pics for this thread. The two nicest 914s I saw. Oh, and my bling
Attached Images     
Old 11-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great 914's! I love the 924S with those rims! If I had kept mine I was going to put those on it.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:17 PM
whalebird
Race Car

thanks jay. IIRC, the orange 914 was a 6, the silver was a 2.0 and spotless. The 6 gets all the attention, but a 2.0(4cyl) is a great driving car.
There was a set of boxster 'split stars' in the parts coral for $400 with tires. I dont use any spacers like most do; the offset is perfect for a 924S, and people space the fronts to clear the dust cap on the hub. I machined my dust caps for clearance and drilled a discreet hole in the center of the drivers center cap for the speedo cable to clear. Center caps are fastened with very small screws thru the outer edge of the cap and into the wheel. This allows the wheels to fit hubcentric on the hubs and not use spacers which disturb the perfect offset these wheels match to the 924S.
There was a 914/6 with flares and fuchs that was very nice as well, but when I went looking for it, it appearantly had left the show.

Quick Reply: Back Pad Needed! And The Story of a '74 1.8...