Sponsored by:

Installing a 3.2 motor into a 914-6

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 05:48 PM
Olav A.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Installing a 3.2 motor into a 914-6

I'm putting a 3.2 into my 914-6. So far I have been working on it since Aug 27 under the guidance of Brad Roberts at all914.com in Palo Alto. He had an extra engine that he was planning to put into his 914 tube race car but found a better candidate (325 HP vs 265 HP) so he was willing to sell me the first one.
I was totally intrigued by the idea but I wanted to participate and he said sure. So far the operation has been pretty smooth. The transplant is relatively straight forward. I had to modify only one section of tin that goes around the engine, replace the 3.2 oil cooler with the 914-6 oil cooler, change over the oil lines, change over the exhaust manifold studs so I could install the heat exchangers. I'm not going for headers even though that would be a tremendous power boost. Some of the wiring had to be redone to accommodate the engine too.
The engine itself has a pair of IDA 46's, crankfire ignition and the exhaust ports have been bored and polished. The dyno claims about 265 horses at the flywheel. I'm stoked.
As for the other modifications I got Brad to convert the cars original tail shifting transmission to a side shifter, I'm putting in a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate from Kennedy Engineering that is specifically for this type of conversion and I had previously updated the front end of the 914-6 to a late model Carrera. The wheels are Fuchs 15X5.4 205/60 all around. I would like to 16X6 though.
I'm not putting in an extra oil cooler in the front because it's not necessary, they have a car there that they race with a 3.0l in it with no extra oil cooler and have had no problems. I am not planning to race the car so for just street use it should be fine.

Then only things left to do are to install the clutch and put the transmission.

The project should be finished this weekend and I am totally excited to drive the car with it's new personality.

Just thought I would share this story.

Olav

P.S. I have pictures I'll post if anyone cares.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:11 AM
Werksracer
AutoX

Well, Hell YES, post the pictures that you have!

Sc
Modesto
Old 09-06-2002, 04:49 PM
JPIII
Advanced

I've already seen one pic of your car, but more would be gud.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:28 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Please post all kinds of pics. I just bought a 914 widebody rolling chassis and am considering a 3.2 or 3.6 for it. What transmission are you using? I have 915 rebuilt by Velios (came with the car) with the sideshifter. I also noticed what looks to be a cast iron oil tank that is has the word "Velios" cast into it. It is up under the rear drivers side fender. Is this an oil tank? My car also came with an oil cooler already mounted in the front of the car. I was told the previous owner had a 3.6 to drop in but never finished the project. I would love to hear all about your project (cost, difficulty, etc.) and would love to how the cars handling/performance was affected.

Good Luck!
Old 09-08-2002, 06:31 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Here is the 914 I bought.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:35 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Some more pictures.

I believe the car has a Sheridan body kit (www.ultimate914.com). I weighed the car on a truck scale where I work and it came in at 1400 lbs - that is without an interior, motor or transmission. I'm guessing 2000 lbs with an engine & transmission. I was hoping for 1800 lbs but I don't think that is realistic now. Anyone have any ideas as to what the final weight will be?
Old 09-09-2002, 03:25 PM
Olav A.
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by JPIII:
<strong>I've already seen one pic of your car, but more would be gud.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd be interested to see the picture too because I haven't go around to posting any pictures myself yet. I'll post them later on in the week when I get them all together. My pictures anyway.

To answer SoloRacer: What transmission am I using?

I am using the 901 tranny converted from a tail shifter to a side shifter. That should work fine for the street car applicaton with no raceing starts which would break first gear.
Yep that's the oil tank. Cast Iron?

I'll be getting the car out of the garage probably by Tuesday so I'll report on the driving characteristics.

The conversion has not been to problematic but that mostly due to having the experience of Brad Roberts of all914.com guiding me the whole way. I'll be posting the details when the job is done including all the little things that tie up lose ends.

Previous modifications inlude ugrading the front end to a 87 carrera front end but that is the extent of modifications.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:25 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Hey Olav,

I forgot to take pics of your car when I was there the other day...nice meeting you by the way, and NICE car.

Hey, did you already sell your old six?
Old 09-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Olav A.
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by campbellcj:
<strong>Hey Olav,

I forgot to take pics of your car when I was there the other day...nice meeting you by the way, and NICE car.

Hey, did you already sell your old six?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey Chris,

Thanks. I just got the car on the road today at 12:30 am and it's FAST and sounds GREAT. What a pleasure driving the car. I was cruising down the highway in 5th at about 65 and stepped on it and the car just took off before I knew it I was significantly faster.

Brad Roberts at all914.com did a super great job and went the extra mile paying attention to details such as wiring up the crank fire ignition using all existing 914-6 relays and wiring harness and other deltails to numerous to enumerate.

I'm keeping my original 6 engine so I can have all the matching numbers in case I sell it.

I can't believe how the car flys now. The combination of such a small, low car with the engine right behind your head and the impeller whining like a turbo-prop adds to sensation of power and speed.

Brad did an excellent job of re-doing my transmission from a close ratio auto-cross style gearing to a highway friendly ratio while retaining a 1-2-3 ratio that gets me up to speed fast. Also, converting to a side shifting mechanism from a tail shifter makes a huge difference in shifting efficiency.

I'm still getting to posting some pictures...
Old 09-11-2002, 05:59 PM
Brad Roberts
Cruisin'

Solo..

Ha ha.. your the one who out sniped me on Ebay for that car. I knew I would run across you one day.

Olavs car will flat "get it".

I semi impressed myslef with this one..lol

B
Old 09-12-2002, 02:31 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Olav -

Do you feel like the car is seriously traction-limited?

I am thinking about converting my car to a fairly high-HP six and keeping the narrow (stock) bodywork. I don't really like the GT flares look, and I don't feel like cutting this car into pieces to use widebody Sheridan/GT-Racing/AIR race bodywork.

Basically I'm wondering if a stock-bodied 914 race car with well over 200HP is practical, or uncontrollable...
Old 09-12-2002, 06:01 PM
Olav A.
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by campbellcj:
<strong>Olav -

Do you feel like the car is seriously traction-limited?

I am thinking about converting my car to a fairly high-HP six and keeping the narrow (stock) bodywork. I don't really like the GT flares look, and I don't feel like cutting this car into pieces to use widebody Sheridan/GT-Racing/AIR race bodywork.

Basically I'm wondering if a stock-bodied 914 race car with well over 200HP is practical, or uncontrollable...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep, it's traction limited. I can steer with the throttle a lot easier now. I've got 205/60's though.

I agree that the GT flares don't look all that nice, I've seen some nice subtle flares on the car like the 914-6 conversion featured in Excellence I forget the issue but I'll get back to you. Essentially, the guy cut the existing fenders vertically and splayed them out then filled in the resulting spaces with metal. The over all effect was very nice.
Old 09-14-2002, 04:08 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Thanks Olav. That's what I figured.

I have heard that several guys have fit 225's under stock (non flared) rear fenders, with some serious rolling and pulling of the lips. But the car still looks stock, and no serious cutting or metal/paint work.

Since my car is heavily track-oriented, I think if I could stuff 225/40 Hoosiers in the back instead of 205/50's, it would make a significant difference. (This would be on 7x15 wheels).
Old 09-14-2002, 06:35 AM
vortrex
AutoX

post some pics!
Old 10-16-2002, 10:31 PM
Olav A.
Racer

Some pictures of the <a href="http://914-6.wurldbook.com/914-6/" target="_blank">914-6 3.2</a> that I promised a long time ago. It took so long because I was moving and such. I'll post some more.

Quick Reply: Installing a 3.2 motor into a 914-6