Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought First 914 today

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 08:02 PM
maj75
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

The bolts that hold the rocker panel on can be turned by hand. The longs are still solid. All the interior seat fasteners came out with no difficulty as did the parking brake and seat belt bolts.
Pictures of the “bad” areas on the car:

Old 01-26-2021, 08:06 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

I think you will love your decision to just go with the 6. That chassis looks really clean- that is the single biggest issue with these cars. They began rusting before they left the assembly line. I have had 3 original Sixes, all ended up with fuel injection and I never regretted it. Turn the key and they fired up immediately, got good mileage (not a big deal) and never smelled like fuel in the garage. Once you get the FI up to snuff, cleaned, lines replaced, etc., you never have to worry about it again. I adjusted the Webers on my 2nd 6 until I finally got tired of it and went with a 3.0 with CIS. Car ran strong and never gave me any issues. Check with MB911 over on 914World.com and he can set you up with most of the parts you will need. If you go with heat exchangers, I strongly recommend his SS units and his SS muffler. I have a 3.2 with Motronic injection in my car and my stock heat exchangers are in my attic. Have fun and good luck with the whole process. Michael
Old 01-26-2021, 09:46 PM
maj75
Instructor

I’m thinking less about doing a “clone” 914-6. I think this will be a stock looking 914-6, no wide fenders. Something I can take out for a track day or to the grocery without worrying about an expensive paint job. I’m thinking of cleaning and then clearing the underside of the car, the trunks and the engine compartment with touch-ups as necessary. A durable repaint in Signal Orange. It has Koni shocks on the back so I’m going to see if they can be rebuilt. I go with 911 struts, hubs and brakes on the front. Adding sways front and rear. Dry sump tank with cooler plumbing in the Frunk. Sort of a Hot Rod 914 but with better finish than Magnus.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:11 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by maj75
I’m thinking less about doing a “clone” 914-6. I think this will be a stock looking 914-6, no wide fenders. Something I can take out for a track day or to the grocery without worrying about an expensive paint job. I’m thinking of cleaning and then clearing the underside of the car, the trunks and the engine compartment with touch-ups as necessary. A durable repaint in Signal Orange. It has Koni shocks on the back so I’m going to see if they can be rebuilt. I go with 911 struts, hubs and brakes on the front. Adding sways front and rear. Dry sump tank with cooler plumbing in the Frunk. Sort of a Hot Rod 914 but with better finish than Magnus.
Congratulations, you will love the “six” conversion. I’ve had a few over the years. You are on the right track with your modifications. The only thing I would reconsider is your decision to add a rear sway. On the track no rear sway and very stiff rear springs = faster, much faster.

Enjoy
Old 01-27-2021, 10:55 PM
maj75
Instructor

Thanks for the tip, Patrick!

Quick Reply: Bought First 914 today