Harry's Engine Rebuild Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 11:01 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Harry's Engine Rebuild Update

well i got a call from Duane Spencer 20 mins before i was heading out to work this morning.

the verdict:

crank magnifluxed and is fine.

rod bearings showed 'signs of copper' and had some grooves and wear. they will have to be taken down from std to 1st under.

case is fine. current cam is stock wide lobed RO 200.5.

heads 1 is good, 1 is cracked and needs repair -but is fixable. (note the machine shop that did my heads last spring forced guides into tne heads and cracked em good)*

everything is out at the shops getting necessary work done.

the cause of problems

when i was in monterey last summer it started running rough. leak down and compression in the bay area at hi-tech showed compression for 2,3,4 at 135-145 with good leak down numbers.

1 had a compression of 100 and leak down of 50 or such terrable number.

the cause? the machine shop that did the heads last spring screwed up big time with the valve and guide*. the 1 exhaust valve was stuck open. it was so stuck that Duane had to use a hammer and punch to remove the valve.
the valve was not burnt as suspected by hi-tech in san rafael when they did leak down and compression checks (great porsche shop btw)

*THIS IS WHY YOU DONT HAVE VW MACHINE SHOPS DO WORK ON PORSCHE ENGINES!!! ONLY PORSCHE MACHINE SHOPS SHOULD WORK ON PORSCHE ENGINES!!

whats next

Duane needs to get the manifolds from 'der carb-whisperer' as we call him (John Benton -so cals solex carb god) to match to the heads. John is setting up a set of solexes, remanufactured and brought back to be good as new.

the cam that will go in is a 6810-19, which Duane recomended to give it a "little more umph".

she will have a full flow oil filter, shatsa p&c, k&n's with velocity stacks, ceramic coated bursch exhaust (which reminds me i need to call classic and speed parts), a csp light weight degree labled pulley (waiting for them to come back in stock any day now).

Duane said i shouldnt need an Al. oil cooler for ohios temps, so its being thought about by me right now. although Duane says its not necessary, Im leaning towards it -a cool engine is a happy engine, and its just extra insurace. best to be safer than sorry.

Thats about it for right now.. god i am psyched!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Morrie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any new news? I am really interested to follow your progress on this....

Morrie
Old 04-03-2005, 03:51 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

yeah he is supposed to get the cam and crank back this week, and start building the bottom end.

i will definitly keep everyone updated
Old 04-06-2005, 05:32 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

well, I had a message on my machine from Herr Spencer today. The crack on the one head was much worse than anticipated. He happened to be at the shop when they were about to weld it, and they had just taken it out of the oven. They could clearly see that the crack had been much deeper and run much farther along the boss than anticipated. -but it was still fixable.

Duane decided it would be better to replace than risk anything with this new revelation, even if it was welded. he had one on stock, a perfect 68 head to match my one good one. cost a pretty penny, but after making a few calls to try to source another head, it was decided that would be the best, even at the cost.

on another note, the gentleman who was to supply the carbs will not have enough time to do it because of his house renovation, which i perfectly understand and have no problems with -hes not a full time wrench, he has a regular gig, the work he does on cars are his side money, (although many, even some of the best builders out there, feel he should do it full time), so im going to go with a set Duane has on the shelf.

speaking of which i talked to Benton (who was going to do the carbs) asking him advice about the head and if h knew of any others around and he got to talking about the cam he ground for the engine. lets just say its going to make this car a night and day difference

just a few more cones on the course to get around -but in the end everythings going to be A-OK after all, If you spin often enough, sooner or later you'll hit an apex
Old 04-06-2005, 11:09 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I new you needed a 68 head. I have a parted out 68 and the heads looked rebuildable when they went in the box. I have little use for them as they have the bad EPA little hole in them. I have some 69 heads too if you want to get away from the ones with the holes in them.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:51 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Thanks Kurt, if i woudl have known ahead of time i woudl hav gone for 2 new ones. Since duane has a matching head in excellent condition, im gioing to go ahead and stick with that one.

you dont by chance have a good case do you? I have a friend who needs a new case for his 66 which is curently being rebuilt. His factory original has a crack beyond repair.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great news Harry!! You GOTTA be psyched.

You able to get to Hershey this year for <gulp> more parts??

I gotta beer with your name on it....
Old 04-07-2005, 04:27 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

im hoping to make it to hershey, but cant gauruntee.

will be having an engine install and bbbq once the engine arrives and i have time. gues what the extra B is for
Old 04-07-2005, 07:25 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Drop me a call and tell me then. I can clean wrenches..

Quick Reply: Harry's Engine Rebuild Update