Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

B E W A R E of claimed "Actual mileage" odometers

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 12:00 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

This issue should actually be discussed in the 911 section as well. This has long been a pet peeve of mine! I just feel bad because so often someone who has a late 79 930 or 1980 to mid year 1982 SC tells me they have xx,xxx original miles on their car yet they have a 160 mph speedo and little or no documentation. In that scenario I tell them the car has to rest on its own merits because the mileage is truly unknown. Doesn't in any way make it a bad car, judge the car based in what you can observe, but it does mean its likely not actual and a huge premium can't be paid for low miles.

Here is a 1980 Porsche 911SC that I sold a while back, this car was the perfect example of how it should be done. The original owner saved the receipt from the new speedo bought from Porsche, had it sent to a a VDO repair shop and set to the exact mileage with the receipt showing that, then took a photo of both odo's side by side and then kept the old one just in case. Additionally he kept every service record since the original purchase invoice. In this case there is no doubt. How often do you see it this well documented?

Here is that as an example (car is sold): http://www.cvluxurycars.com/1980Pors...nDoricGray.htm
Old 12-07-2013, 04:55 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jwasbury
Interesting discussion. My '79 is an earlier VIN, with a November '78 build date (IIRC). The PO bought the car off eBay, and had print outs of the eBay pages, where there were comments from bidders/watchers that the speedo was not correct and the car should have an 85mph unit. I suppose that the speedo could in fact be original according to what I read in this thread.
My '79 vin ends in 0266, 150 mph original speedometer, but I also bought it from the original owner who had all of the service records from day one, which I now have. 35 year old cars are difficult with respect to confirming actual mileage. You need owner and service history to really be certain, but nothing is guaranteed. That's as good as you will get, unless you bought the car new or personally know the history of the car.

Last edited by 9Eleven; 12-07-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:16 PM
aeschen
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As somebody said on pelican parts its amusing that nearly every car sold with an inoperable odometer is estimated to have only slightly higher than the indicated milage. I would only use the milage as a rough estimate for any vdo equped car
Old 12-14-2013, 10:57 AM
fullquack
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The same concern goes with "gray market" cars that have been "federalized" with a MPH speedo replacing the KPH speedo.
There needs to be documentation!

Mark
Old 12-14-2013, 01:48 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts

Just Bought a Rare Older Car with low miles, Removed Euro BFG t/a's From 82 or 92 & had tire shop write on Receipt & of course saved tires to help verify, Car has One Repaint but Definitely shows to be legit.
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2013, 10:39 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fullquack
The same concern goes with "gray market" cars that have been "federalized" with a MPH speedo replacing the KPH speedo.
There needs to be documentation!

Mark
BIG +1 ........one needs to (and should) assume that every single "Grey Market" car has incorrect mileage on the odometer and the ONLY way to validate the actual mileage is if the original euro gauge is included with the car and the original records are included throughout the life of the car ........otherwise anything the seller "tries" to tell you is pure BS !
Old 12-16-2013, 01:44 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
BIG +1 ........one needs to (and should) assume that every single "Grey Market" car has incorrect mileage on the odometer and the ONLY way to validate the actual mileage is if the original euro gauge is included with the car and the original records are included throughout the life of the car ........otherwise anything the seller "tries" to tell you is pure BS !
That has always been my position. Prove the mileage.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:14 PM
aeschen
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The european speedo wasnt included with my car but it is an 84 car and was purchased in the US in 84 (by my dad). I always suspected that most of these cars were federilized when they were brand new. I supose hanz or dieter could have racked up a few thousand miles before sending them to the US.

Anyways as I said it just doesnt matter wht the odometer says. Im not sure US cars are any better. The odometers fail all the time on these cars and can literally be disconnected without any tools whatsoever.

My odometer has broken 2 times. I sent it off to be fixed right away the first time, and fixed it myself the second time. I could have dialed in whatever mileage I wanted when I had it appart (not that I ever would).

Low milage in and of itself is meaningless, condition is everything and if you can use the indicated milage as some sort of comfirmation of condition than great. Other wise it is mostly for entertainment purposes.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:46 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aeschen
Low milage in and of itself is meaningless, condition is everything and if you can use the indicated milage as some sort of comfirmation of condition than great. Other wise it is mostly for entertainment purposes.
What he said.

I will always pay a premium for a Porsche in great condition.

Two things I won't pay a premium for: low mileage, and celebrity provenance.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:25 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Default Another Grey Market .......

Here we go again......Another '85 Turbo that appears to be a beautiful example except we know that this is a grey market car because; no vin# in the ebay ad, Euro side markers and (as we all know ) Porsche did not bring these back into the US until the following year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-930-...US_Cars_Trucks

So..... knowing all of these little details, it is insulting to be lied to and told this Turbo is "low mileage" with only 9919 miles on the odometer (Photos # 29 & 34 ) since we know that the KPH gauge was switched out and replaced by the MPH gauge in the photos in order to pass DOT regs when it was privately imported into the USA.

I am painfully aware that photos can be deceiving BUT when studying the 40+ photos carefully, this car really does appear to be a nice example and very well preserved; seats do not appear to be excessively worn, nor does the shift **** or steering wheel. The gauges do not have those o'so common fine scratches that one sees in close-up photos, the radio, lighter and fan adjustments are immaculate as is the knee pad and ashtray.

So why the need to mislead people and misrepresent the mileage. This could very well be a genuine low mileage car ........ but without the original KPH gauge and/or records to validate the gauge swap and corresponding mileage at that time..... there is NO WAY to know if this car is legit !

It's a shame because the "Buy it Now" price could be a fair price if this Turbo were legit with docs & records!
Old 12-19-2013, 12:45 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice looking car but two issues - ya gotta use a circular polarizer when shooting a black car (who want to see a reflection of the doofus cromedome in pic). And don't stick your cheesy 25 cent dealership sticker on a $80k car.
Phil
Old 12-19-2013, 12:46 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

another one here- http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...19k-miles.html.
Phil
Old 12-19-2013, 08:08 AM
jay72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and another

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks
Old 12-19-2013, 11:34 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw that car, I assume it's a salvage title?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:36 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jay72
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I saw that car, I assume it's a salvage title?

This black Turbo was stolen and the perps lunched the motor as they wrecked the car ........ I love the photo showing the chiseled out vin number !

This piece of crap should be turned into a "track rat" or maybe a 934 replica !

Quick Reply: B E W A R E of claimed "Actual mileage" odometers