911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

400 rwhp 930

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Eric 930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 rwhp 930

Ok guys have at it. I have a stock 79 930 that I would like to get about 400 rwhp out of. I have a brand new exhaust system still in the box in my garage that I will be installing shortly. What other mods will be necessary to reach my goal. All posts are appreciated. Thanks, Eric
Old 07-16-2003, 06:37 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

79 is a good starting point since you have the Euro fuel distributor. Here's my suggestions:
K-29 Turbo
Larger intercooler (stock C2T will do fine)
GHL free flow headers & muffler
SC cams
Andial Fuel enrichment
1 bar spring
Modified (drilled) air box or PowerFlow

That ought to safely get you there. Tune on the dyno to set your A/F
Eliminate the AC and other parasitic consumers of power.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Eric 930
Instructor

JBH. Why the k-29 over the ever popular k-27? Thanks for the responce. Eric
Old 07-16-2003, 07:49 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The k27 High flow is a much better turbo than the k29. Much newer technology without increasing spool. There are a few on the board that are running them. Maybe they can share their experience. I would also consider several cam profiles depending on what the goal of the car is. Different uses require different setups.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:21 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do yourself a big favor and forget the 400 HP. Unless you intend to drag race the car, all you will end up with is a 400 Hp car that you have to run at the high RPM's to acheive this. If you have a street car, you want torque and acceleration. Let the HP fall where it falls. It been said here many times, explore the Transmission limits first, then look at the engine. I would not pretend to know what you want, but many fall into the trap of HP and not Torque. If you are going to keep the CIS system, then don't go the Andial route. Yes it will add fuel, but everywhere. It may give you the A/F you need at 6500 RPM, but at 4000 RPM it will be to lean, and vice versa. You need to look at systems which add fuel based upon RPM and manifold pressure that can be adjusted as a full EFI system can. The CIS system is very dumb. It just pours in the fuel. Not really good for response, but if you can control the fuel across the RPM range and the manifold pressure changes, you will be way better off. Systems like this exist, before stepping up to a full EFI system. Once you have the fuel under control, you will most probably need to control the Timing. In most cases you will need to retard the timing. Stay with CDI. Get something that will give you the ability to adjust the timing just like an EFI system also. There are systems out there that allow you to control the timing just like an EFI using your existing Ignition components. I know of one system that will provide you with fuel, Ignition and boost control all in one device. It makes the fequency valve in the CIS loop fully mappable, intercepts the Timing signal and gives a fully mappable Timing map, and boost as a function of RPM. Now that you have the fuel and timimg under control, you can look at the internals of the engine. If your engine is stock, consider 98.00mm cylinders. They offer better cooling along with a very small displacement change. With today's fuel, this sort of performance is requiring of other changes aslo. You will need to twin plug the heads, open up the exhaust ports and a small amount on the intake side. Don't go to big, graet for HP, but the torque curve will move up and become very narrow. As for Cams, flow the heads and then decide. Ask someone who knows. Don't just grab the common ones. Again, typically horrible for Torque. From a design view, you will want more lift, less duration and the lobe centers closer. Probably the Intake timing be somwhere around 102-108 degrees. It will all depend on the head flow and what you want. Proceed with caution. There are many pitfalls to watch out for.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:54 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Personally I think all that is unnecessary. This is a 930 not a 944. The recipe posted by JBH and PorschePhd is tried and true and should produce close to the goal right out of the box. Zcat basically had this setup on his old motor and was doing maybe 385 iirc. 15 more hp should be findable with tuning. The cam issue boils down to 964 or SC with the powerband moved up or down the rev range a little. The heads don't have to be flowed or ported or anything. Why make things more difficult (and expensive) than is necessary?
Old 07-17-2003, 12:15 AM
ken louie
Instructor

Is it possible to get 400 wrhp out of a regular k27-7200 turbocharger?

ken
Old 07-17-2003, 06:37 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Pig4bill,

Re read my post. 400RWHP with those mods. HP not Torque. Another happy customer?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:29 AM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Check out my '79 at www.my930.com.

It has 450 crank hp with all the mods. Don Enderlein has 20hp on me with his '79. It is very driveable with acceleration that rips your lips off. You don't need the Andial fueler. Go with Stephens K27 to keep some power on the low end (you overdrive it at the top, but it isn't much noticeable).

John
Old 07-17-2003, 05:46 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

John, I was checking out your car, it has just the setup I'm interested in, what are the injector blocks needed for? Thanks, Mike
Old 07-17-2003, 06:16 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

My intake manifold is ported. I need the blocks to taper down to the stock heads... and they are pretty.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:06 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get 400 rwhp with a flat 390 lb-ft torque over a wide rpm range.

M42 racer is correct about the Andial system, but you can't say forget about the CIS without making this a much larger expense.

K29 with SC cams is what I have and it works for me.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:50 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

If you want 400WHP, just how much BHP do you think you have to obtain?

From the mods I have seen listed here, I don't see how. If the normal calculations are used, you would need to be making between 460 and 480 BHP. Thats alot over stock with the mods talked about here.

There are ways to add to the CIS without going EFI. I had a system before I converted to EFI. It added fuel based upon RPM and MAP with a TPS correction, retarded the Ignition based upon RPM and MAP, and controled the wastegate. All was done in one device. If I remember, it cost around $ 700.00. BTW, it could control both Ignition CDI's, if you were twin plugged.

I also have a question. why do you port the manifold and then taper down to the stock heads? Seems to defeat the purpose does it not?
Old 07-17-2003, 09:20 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

It can be done. I am close at 379 rwhp (390 tq), but the king is Don (http://www.brookstonefarms.com/930.html) at 414 rwhp. I know at least at my level there are no fueling issues (remember it is a '79).

As for the port on the manifold and not the heads... well I had the manifold in my hand and I didn't want to break down the engine... so there you go.

John
'79 930
Old 07-17-2003, 09:46 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

m42racer,

what efi system was it that you used? are you familiar with the australian company, Automotive Engine Management? They seem to have a very affordable system but I haven't run across anyone using it. Thanks, Mike

Quick Reply: 400 rwhp 930