Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Are my headers suppossed to glow red?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 01:49 PM
Andrew Thompson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are my headers suppossed to glow red?

After installing my new headers and muffler setup on the 89 this weekend i noticed after about 5 to 10 minutes they started to glow red. Is this normal? Some people say yes others say no. I am concerned that maybe I have to get the car tuned differently due to the non restrictive exhaust and the absence of the O2 sensor.

thanks

andy
Old 08-27-2001, 02:35 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Andy - I am getting my 930 back tomorrow with new GHL Headers (among other things). I will ask my mechanic about htis and post what my headers look like after we get the car and drive it a bit.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:57 PM
Randy
Instructor

My own experience with B & B headers has been that they do turn cherry red when running hard on the boost. My car is tuned to run rich, so it's not due to excessive exhaust gas temps from lean out. My impression is that the stainless steel is more prone to glow from it's lighter gauge.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:46 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
LOL,......930 headers most certainly glow red (or more) during boosted operation at .7 bar and above. This is SOP and not to worry at all.

I must say that running a Turbo engine on our dyno makes this an entertaining experience, even after 24+ years of this and a good photo opportunity for the owner, if he's here.

FWIW, at 1.0 bar, the whole system is bright red and some parts are turning orange. At 1.2 bar, its all yellow in color and the turbine housing appears translucent. You can see the innards of the turbo at work,...........

Needless to say, this is a LOT of heat to shed. TOT's are above 1700 deg F.
Old 08-28-2001, 12:21 PM
Andrew Thompson
Intermediate

Talking

Thank goodness!! I thought I was driving a time bomb around the streets of NJ. Thanks guys for the info. Now I need the Euro fuel system, and the intercooler, and the....and the... and the...

Hahaha

Andrew
Old 09-03-2001, 06:13 PM
garrickl
RIP

Zcat ..... thought I'd ask you what you thought about your GHL setup. I have the factory euro system on mine with a Borla exhaust that exits on the passenger side. I get alot of backfire and burble and was wondering how the GHL is in terms of noise and burble. I am seriously thinking of buying the GHL and would like your thoughts and experience with it. My engine is tweaked with Kokeln intercooler, Tial wastegate, Powerflow, SC cams, K27, Centerforce clutch and 915 5 speed tranny.
Old 09-03-2001, 10:53 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Garrick -

Sounds like we have a similiar set-up. I do not notice any buurbling or backfiring with my setup (take a look at pig4bill's posting about bolt-on mods and my post about my dyno test for details). The engine sounds pretty smooth and is a little more quiet than my 993 (which has fabspeed mufflers). Keep in mind that I do not have the GHL muffler - just the headers. I have a Mille Milia exhaust that was on the car from the prior owner.
Old 09-05-2001, 04:46 AM
garrickl
RIP

Thanks. Steve at Weiner-Rennsport provided things I should look for as possible air leaks that may be causing the backfire-burble problem. Decided on a GHL header and will experiment with the muffler.

Quick Reply: Are my headers suppossed to glow red?