911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Upgrade I/C only?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:49 PM
NOH20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade I/C only?

I have a bone stock '86 930 with low mileage. I don't want to upgrade the turbo since it would require a change to the stock sheet metal to fit (kK7). So, I'm interested in changing the I/C so I can get the the stock turbo to spool up faster and come on boost sooner. The questions is, would an upgraded I/C, say a Kokeln, achieve this? Or is upgrading the I/C only not worth it?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The intercooler isn't going to get you anything except a cooler charge of air and reduce the risk of detonation..which you don't have to worry about if you're running a stock setup unless you have it set too lean.....getting a turbo to spool faster requires a lot more than simply buying a better intercooler. Do a search on the forum for subjects like "more boost" or "faster spooling"....subjects like that which will bring you a number of discussions on what guys have done to get better performance.....but you'd better bring your wallet and do more research on performance enhancement.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:02 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i think an ic will have a minor effect on spooling. reducing back-pressure (new exhaust, typically w no cat) or a new turbo will do it. i did a k27s which is a bolt-in, and it made a big difference.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 PM
NOH20
Racer

So I can add a K27 w/o having to modify anything? Which K27 could I swap in as a simple bolt in place? This would probably be the best improvement to the car. It takes awhile for that stock turbo to spool up! I'm not going down that slippery slope of making a bunch of upgrades. Just can't afford it now. Would simply changing the old turbo for a "newer" model K27 be the best bang for the buck?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:02 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Installing a newer/better K27 style turbo will help reduce lag and possibly boost higher in the RPM range. It all depends which one you get. It can be installed with out cutting the engine tin. The turbo support bracket will need to be modified or remved as well. Talk to kevin at ultimate motorwerks or stephan at IA.

Now that you have that fire breathing turbo, you need to get a better intercooler to cool the air down. To me, they go hand in hand. Budget for both.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed out my stock one with a K27 in addition to some SSI headers....and reduced the lag that used to come on at 4,000 to around 3200....but that was with the modification of quite a bit and not just an intercooler and turbo. I also put in a Tial 46mm wastegate, custom Y pipe etc. That's why I said....bring your wallet if you really want to make a difference. You're probably running the original .8 bar wastegate spring which may be weak after all this time.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:45 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

To get it right, you need a bigger turbo, bigger i/c, freeflow exhaust and fuel enrichment... and a very slippery slope.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:29 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

See my reply on Pelican

Yasin
Old 01-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

If you have a stock Exhaust ..that is the biggest choker !
With new headers and muffler you get an easy 50 hp and your car will thank you.
Elliot
Old 01-18-2009, 05:58 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Whoa dude you are in my back yard, more importantly you missed my CIS parts sell off with all the right stuff for 413rwhp, you need to come over for a beer. I will give you the formula, here in Oakland Township there are about five 930 cars putting down 400rwhp, my car is home after two years and ten months.
To free up some power you can add some headers, B & B and a Rarely8 exhaust or fabspeed and a K27HFS, if you want more add some Ruf BTR cams or 964 NA cams, Euro fuel head, Euro fuel lines, Tial wastegate and 1bar spring. Gotta take my daughter to Jonas bros at the Joe so I will pm you later.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:56 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go to the2200 rpm range. I did these in stages and just doing anyone will not net you much of an increase. The turbo upgrade and the headers will by far do the most quickly. But you will need the IC to keep the air charge temp down once the car starts pulling a lot of boost. Remember try to come up with a final power number that you think will be enough and then add twenty percent and buy the pieces that will get you there. So many of us started out adding things as we could afford them and then when we got them all installed we realized that we should have started with bigger stuff. Keep in mind that when you start going over 400 hp you will need more fuel flow and you will need an AFR gage to monitor all of it to keep from frying your engine. It's fun and you will enjoy seeing your baby get some muscles!

Quick Reply: Upgrade I/C only?