Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 owners and Imagineauto

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:01 PM
DDD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Imagine Auto is probably exactly as good as the mechanics working on the car. Does Stephen do the work himself? Who is turning the wrench?

Those are the type questions I would want to know at any shop.

It is clear that Imagine Auto has turned out some very good cars, so you do know what they are capable of.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:14 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I got all my upgrades from Stephen. hes the national PCA tech advisor for all 911 Turbos and has been for a number of years.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 PM
1985ruf
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess I may just have to bite the bullet and have complete faith in the shop...I have only heard positives and absolutely no negatives. We shall see...
Old 04-15-2008, 07:31 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

"hes the national PCA tech advisor for all 911 Turbos and has been for a number of years."

That ain't a recommendation: I can tell you some stories about the PC-GB turbo tech adviser!!

PS: No reflection on Stephen/IA - they sold me some good stuff and good advice.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I live about 3 miles from IA and am a customer and consider myself a new friend to Stephen, Roxanne, Jeremy, Carl and the rest of the gang there.

They have worked on my 964 and my 930 is there right now having Carl solve a mysterious clutch problem.

In my opinion, they are completley reliable and trustworthy. They do oil changes and $50K plus engine jobs and take very serious (in my experience) the important factor of customer service.

Red9thirty suggest you give Stephen a call and talk to him. Be honest. Tell him what you want and what your goals for your car are and he can help get you what YOU want. It is good advice to have a idea of what you really want upfront as they can do ANYTHING so you want to have a firm idea upfront what you goals are or you may go too far. Stephen can provide you with a number of folks who have had serious and not so serious work done on their cars.

Relative to major work on your car a plane ticket is cheap, come on out and see them in person. PM me and you can stay at my house if you need to.

This is NOT a paid announcemtn just honest Rennlister feedback.

Good Luck
Old 04-16-2008, 06:37 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Stephen has been trustworthy and never made a promise he couldn't deliver on. The motor he built for me was beautiful, it was another mechanic that messed it up. Stephen is fixing the install now and I can't wait to get it back.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:29 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by UDPride
Hes the national PCA tech advisor for all 911 Turbos and has been for a number of years.
That's what I wanted to say!

911addict Yes, that is a reccomendation.. as I can't speak for "PC-GB" but I can for PCA... if he wasn't good and above board he wouldn't have been in the position as long as he has.

Further, Rennlist of course is not the only Porsche community on the net.. and come to think of it, I can't remember anyone really having a cross word or anything foul to say about Stephan and/or Imagine Auto.. regardless of of his sponsorship of a site.

1985ruf, red9thirty: I have know idea where either of you guys are located thus no idea of a shop or tuner in your area... so what's you're alternative? You can always ship the car, let him do his thing.. fly out for some test and tune to make sure it suit your need.

Not a Sermon.. just a thought!

P-
Old 04-16-2008, 08:17 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I've only bought from IA and I was very impressed. I bought several things from them during my rebuild and I had a couple problems with shipping and invoicing and they were handled quickly and without question. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how they deal with them that counts. If I didn't have decent shops in town, IA would be my choice for shipping something for repair.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:02 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 125shifter
I've only bought from IA and I was very impressed. I bought several things from them during my rebuild and I had a couple problems with shipping and invoicing and they were handled quickly and without question. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how they deal with them that counts. If I didn't have decent shops in town, IA would be my choice for shipping something for repair.
+1 - had a very similar experience myself. Thumbs up for Imagine from across the pond.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:50 AM
drvinc
AutoX

The crew at Imagine Auto rebuilt the engine and transmission on my '87 930. Full on cis 400+ build. Stephen is honest and understands the Porsche turbo. There are a lot of Porsche shops between Minneapolis and KC but getting the job done right is worth the effort.
Highly recommended.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:17 AM
NeverL8
Rennlist Member

Red9thirty,
I currently have my '89 930 at Stephens. He has been terrific to work with and is just finishing up a stage 3 for me. He has always been responsive, helpful and knowledgeable. I consider him to be quite an authority on the 930 and I too had some concerns shipping the car from FL to Lenexa, but it has gone fine so far. I will surely post more when I get the car back.

Stephen has committed to me that he would be doing the wrenching himself and he runs it thru 300 plus miles of break-in tuning time before he is satisfied that I will be. He banks on each of his customers satisfaction in order to maintain his reputation. I too could not find anything negative on IA, but rather very good compliments. When I researched just about every other shop, I could always find some negatives. That to me, was when my comfort level went up. He is very busy, and the schedule and waiting will bring you much time to find other goodies to buy for your new passion (ask me how I know), but Knowing that it will done right will bring you the real peace of mind. As busy as he is, he still will take the time to review my never ending plans and questions.

Good Luck and enjoy the process/ Tony
Old 04-18-2008, 12:32 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys...,

Drvin, Glad you made it home ok. It is always a pleasure to see you.

Tony, Yes and even offer my opinion on Mickey D colors

As far as what we do and how we do it. Are we perfect, far from it but we will do all we can to make it right. I do actually work in the shop. Funny, that never use to be a question years ago. But yes, I build engines, weld broken things and even Bob can tell you put in windshields as I was on Wed. I will never stop building motors or leave my shop. This is what I do.

If you are considering us to do work, I invite you to come and visit us. A 300.00 plane ticket is cheap and will allow you to draw your own conclusions. In a world of BS and internet site and wannbes we are still one of the real shops doing real work on a national level. I have seen many good wrenches leave over the years.

Thanks for the kind words gang. It is always a pleasure.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

I wouldn't want my car in anyone else's hands. BTW, Stephen you have an e-mail.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:14 AM
red9thirty
Racer

Hmmmm, someone is having a problem.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turbo-forum/424962-almost-3-years.html

I too am wondering why it has taken so long.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:31 AM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

There are only a few forum members and turbo experts for that matter that will take the time to answer a technical question either through email or over the phone while knowing they have little to no chance to physically work on your car.

This is why I buy every performance mod via IA...

Quick Reply: 930 owners and Imagineauto