Need some help on an intermittent 'misfire', let me explain

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help on an intermittent 'misfire', let me explain

Morning Gentz-

So I took the 930 on my first roadtrip Sat. CT to Maine in, er, 1:15. Car ran like a top.

About 1:10 into the trip after 1:10 of pretty much sustained "pace", I finally had to lift and come down from my, um, cruising altitude. Speedo sweeps down through 80 and I settle in for 15 seconds.

I go to hit the throttle to resume the mission and ftdftdftdftdftd (that's my attempt at typing "sputter"). I get out of it and it's "cruising" fine - just cannot touch gas w/o sputter. I feather through it for 15 seconds, I can feel it "release" (the grasp of the sputter), and all's swell. I repeat this "speedo comes down to 80" scenario 2 more times and it does it like clockwork, and works itself out exactly the same.

I'm thinking I've got some sort of ignition issue, but it "feels" like fuel. My gut tells me the car kept dumping fuel from my sustained run and then flooded it.

When I got there I popped the hood and noted a wire I'd attempted to solder last week had come undone (I suck at soldering). It's 2 wires into some black plug into some silver relay that sits RIGHT on the left top of the large intake tube, stares you in the face from the left side of the car. Being a noob still I don't know what it is. It also has a 1" rubber hose that comes off of it that appears to hang to atmosphere as we could not locate anything that had popped off.

We crimped on another connector and figured voila, that had to do it. Shakedown run proves fine.

Cruising home yesterday at same altitudes and making better time (somehow), at again exactly 1:10 into my drive I have to lift and the same thing happened again. I figure our crimp came undone. Get home, it's still on there fine. As I backed it into my garage the idle was down from its normal 1,050 and fluctuating slightly, like it had some sort of vacuum leak.

Any thoughts here gents? Hoping it's something simple. Any insight greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance...

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.us.com
Old 12-03-2007, 11:45 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't lift until you get home.... J?K.

Is it this connection?
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2007, 12:09 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Heh heh heh... well there are the occassional FARM ANIMALS on the road that you need to lift for (pink ones) ya know 8-).

YES, that's the one. I'm guessing it's some sort of WG frequency valve something.

But, again, my new connection on it appears good. Would it being disconnected cause my sputter after lifting?

Other thoughts?

THANKS!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:26 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Rocket, is it this thing? What does it actually do? I think it is for emissions, but not sure what it actually does.

TIA.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:14 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Yes, that's the one.

Again, my fixed connection is still in tact. So, was its initial break coincidental to some sort of decel issue? Like deceleration valve of sorts that cuts fuel pump dump on decel?

Like I said, forgive my newbness - but any thoughts you guys have would be great.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:46 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

When you lift off, the turbo still spins and causes a boost spike in the IC. I think you have forced an O ring but might be wrong.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:28 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Thanks for the thought Nathan.

Best to just nose around the IC connections for something obvious then I guess? The low / vacillating idle after it happened yesterday would cause me to think this could be the case, but odd the idle was unaffected when it initially happened Sat. night.

Plus it's odd that the "stutter" is able to "iron itself out" after a few seconds of feathering through it. My experiences with boost leaks in my //S6 were much different.

Any further insight obviously appreciated... Bueller?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:21 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

That was why I thought I may be wrong.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the dont till till ur home lol good luck stay safe
Old 12-03-2007, 11:45 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Heh, um, thanks for the thought.

But I still need some troubleshooting advice that actually helps! 8-)

Please, thanks.

-Paul
Old 12-04-2007, 09:18 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Have you checked your rev limiter and boost cut-off switches? Sounds to me like when you romp on it again one of those two devices is kicking in for some reason. Good luck with it....JP
Old 12-04-2007, 10:21 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Originally Posted by srf506
Have you checked your rev limiter and boost cut-off switches? Sounds to me like when you romp on it again one of those two devices is kicking in for some reason. Good luck with it....JP
No, I haven't as that's why I'm here asking for yous guys' suggestions. Where would I find these and what to check for (beside broken connection of some sort)?

Pardon my ignornace (bliss), but the boost cutoff is a violent shut off (I had this recently as my WG was frozen), and the limiter would apply only at, well, the rev limit I'd think no?

Again, it's running fine, comes down through a slower speed and then stutters and rejects ANY throttle input, then somehow the problem goes away and you can feel the immediate improvement.

We finally got snow / sand here in sunny CT so it's likely parked until spring, so plenty of time to start tinkering with it.

Please keep the ideas coming, I could certainly use the help.

Thanks.

-Paul
Old 12-04-2007, 11:15 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The part that Natan and I pointed out is more emission related I believe. Mine emissions stuff has been MIA for years with out problems. I would take a close look at all of your hoses and connections, as well as the other ideas.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

If its not violent like the boost limiter than I'd go for a leak in the wastegate or IC plumbing. The rev limiter will not be rough as the boost limiter, but it does cut the fuel flow IIRC which can be pretty violent feeling under hard acceleration. If it isn't one of those two issues go to the previously mentioned IC and turbo plumbing. Check out the Pelican parts lists for your car and you can fnd the location of all of the seals and parts for your car.

Good luck,
JP
Old 12-04-2007, 03:05 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Thanks JP.

Nope, not violent. And only happened under the circumstance of after crusing sustained WOT, then backing down, then attempting to regain pace. Manifested in a "sputter" which smoothed out if I lifted out of it, then finally blew through to normal.

I'll poke around the IC connections for now I guess.

Please keep the thoughts coming if you don't mind, really appreciate it.

-Paul

Quick Reply: Need some help on an intermittent 'misfire', let me explain