Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

B&B longneck intercooler = garbage

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007 | 04:57 PM
kellcats521
Advanced

Default B&B longneck intercooler = garbage

This may be the worst engineered part EVER made. The mounting brackets do not line up (my understanding is that they 'fit' the 91-92 full bay mounting hardware/locations), the locations for the sending units interfere with the rear wiper motor, the rear mount hits the fan (and still is nowhere near the factory mount), and the hose barbs for the BOV and wastegate interfere with the trunk hinges once an actual hose is connected to them.

Anyone install one of these?? If so, please post pictures and any hints. Welding a full cage in my last race car was an easier excercise than this intercooler. I think I might have put the B&B engineer/designer's head into this thing if he was within arm's length of me today. I've cut and rewelded one bracket trying to get it to fit, but the rest of this crap has made me punt on it, which really blows since it wasn't cheap, and I spent ~$600 extra in '91 plumbing/brackets for it......
Old 07-04-2007 | 05:35 PM
underpsi
Instructor

how much did you pay for that unit? maybe they will exchange for one that fits; any pics??
Old 07-04-2007 | 06:14 PM
kellcats521
Advanced

Here is the listing from the B&B website....

Description It is the FPOR-0305 'standard fit' long neck intercooler

Cost

I will try to post pics of how it 'does not' fit later.... I still need to simmer down a bit. When my motor was on the engine stand, I mocked it up and it looked like it would work OK - I didn't verify the bracket locations and plumbing, and I knew I would need to scrap the factory airbox (it interferes with that too), but I thought I could make it work. Now that the motor's in the car, there's no way.....

And, as I said, I've already modified the rear bracket (I actually cut the f'ing thing off) - knowing how B&B deals with 'issues' on their stuff (they basicaly blow when it comes to returns, repairs, or other issues), I figured I owned it and I'd have to make it work or use it as a boat anchor.

Oh well, I said before I got this that I'd never buy a B&B anything, but I did anyway.... The only real dummy is looking at me in the mirror.
Old 07-04-2007 | 06:29 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I have installed them and they take a little a modifing but not that much. You just need to cut a larger slit in the bracket and remove the wiper motor. It fits right in. You will also need to relocate the boost sensor for the gauge on the back side of the neck where the IAT sensor would go on a C2T
Old 07-04-2007 | 06:46 PM
kellcats521
Advanced

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
I have installed them and they take a little a modifing but not that much. You just need to cut a larger slit in the bracket and remove the wiper motor. It fits right in. You will also need to relocate the boost sensor for the gauge on the back side of the neck where the IAT sensor would go on a C2T
Sorry, but I'm calling total BS on this without pictures.

The rear bracket (next to the fan) doesn't have a prayer of working - I had to cut it completely OFF just to drop the intercooler in where the decklid would close, as the bracket hit the fan housing when the intercooler was lined up correctly. And, this was without the sensors/sending units mounted (I never got to the point where I was ready to drill those holes), as they are SQUARELY on the wiper motor.

Also, why would B&B put a boss/flange/pad for, I assume, mounting the boost sensor and overboost cutoff if those locations are, as you say, wrong. One would think that for $1,800 they might actually check to see what is on the actual car they're selling the damn thing for - it is painfully obvoius that the only motor this thing was designed and fitted to lives on an engine stand, never to actually run in a car.....
Old 07-04-2007 | 06:59 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Another "bolt-on" after-market part, horror story.

Sorry to hear it.

If you are interested, call Bell Intercoolers and see if Gunther can make what you are looking for - his pricing is very competitive - possibly significantly so. If so, see if B&B will take it back.
Old 07-04-2007 | 07:04 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

LOL, well you got me! I have been called out. I gained my reputation on the boards for being full of it. Yea right....

You need to extend the bracket an inch. No big deal. Weld some angle iron in there and extend off the original bracket. Reread what I said about the boost sensor. You will need to relocate that and you will need to trim the wastegate line. It is too long and will not pass the arm when the hose is on.

Because the intercooler is built from a C2T intercooler. This is exactly where they are on the C2T long neck intercoolers. If you think you are going to plop any long neck conversion on without changing something you are in denial. They all require some change.

You need to look at the intercooler as it sat in the bay of a C2T. At that point it will make sense. Also keep in mind that the C2T motor sat about an inch lower than your car because of the change in motor mounts. You will want to trim the brackets to make that adjustment so you can angle it to clear.

Bottom line is anything aftermarket for the most part requires something to fit. Nothing anymore is a clear bolt on.
Old 07-04-2007 | 07:08 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I will call my customer and see if he will jump on line and post pics. He is on Rennlist I am sure he will chime in...

Happy 4th.
Old 07-04-2007 | 07:19 PM
kellcats521
Advanced

I don't think you read my original post - I too have built cars - I have TIG, MIG, shop press, mill, drill press and much more in my basement. Fabbing a roll cage in my last IT-E car was less of a PIA than this intercooler. I also have a C2T at my disposal to SEE how that intercooler mounts - I'm not BSing when I say there is not a prayer. And, just so I'm clear on this, what am I welding some angle iron to? Last I checked it's an aluminum intercooler that's mounted to an aluminum (or magnesium) intake. You may truely be a PhD in metallurgy if you're welding angle iron to either of these.

The plumbing part is a non-issue - I knew this would require some work. Having to weld new mounting brackets on a poorly cast piece of aluminum just to FIT the thing in the car is my issue - for the price of this 'standard fit' unit I could have fabbed many intercoolers, if I had the time to do this. I was willing to PAY, rather than fabricate. I missed the 'billy' boat on this one.....
Old 07-04-2007 | 07:26 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

checked it's an aluminum intercooler that's mounted to an aluminum (or magnesium) intake. You may truely be a PhD in metallurgy if you're welding angle iron to either of these
No, I didn’t say weld the intercooler I said the front mount bracket where the coil mounts. You will need to move it to the open spot which will set the angle and the height of the intercooler.

As far as your gripes of the other brackets they may be tight, but they fit with the modifications I recommended. Unless they changed their castings in the last month I installed the last one 2-3 weeks ago.

Since you do fab work this shouldn't be an issue. Either that or we must just use magic to make them work..
Old 07-04-2007 | 07:54 PM
kellcats521
Advanced

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
No, I didn’t say weld the intercooler I said the front mount bracket where the coil mounts. You will need to move it to the open spot which will set the angle and the height of the intercooler.

As far as your gripes of the other brackets they may be tight, but they fit with the modifications I recommended. Unless they changed their castings in the last month I installed the last one 2-3 weeks ago.

Since you do fab work this shouldn't be an issue. Either that or we must just use magic to make them work..
The 'front' mount bracket (I called it the rear one as it's next to the fan) is the one I had to CUT OFF to fit the thing in - it was slightly bent in toward the fan, and it either a) hit the fan or b) the intercooler hit the decklid edge as I closed it after I used a spacer to move it out. I didn't see an option but to cut the f'er off and either try and reweld it on at a better angle (which will be another nightmare due to thier ****ty, porous casting), or make a new bracket, niether of which is EVEN REMOTELY APPROPRIATE for a $1,800 f'ing hundred dollar 'standard fit' unit. B&B collectively needs a TIG torch up their you know what for even considering selling this (billy) boat anchor - it's a total piece of garbage that would never make it 2 minutes in EVERY other aftermarket venue, but for a PORSCHE they can charge big $$ for ill-fitting junk.

This unit had a blueprint with it (of course there are no install directions, but they do have the nerve to put the SEMA aftermarket bill of rights in the package) dated june 2006, so it is possible that the unit you installed is different.....

NO, IT IS AN ISSUE - they charge big $ for junk that needs to be fabbed. Last I checked, their job was to fab it, and I paid for that service. IMO, B&B folk need to get on with their 'real' careers at te Mickey D's drive thru window, as they are totally unable to deliver in their current functions.... Again, I really am the moron in giving them another shot - I knew that they make garbage, and I bought this anyway (somewhat based on posts on forums like this, but again fooey on me for listening/believing things on the ole WWW).
Old 07-04-2007 | 07:59 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I can't help you know you cut the bracket off of the intercooler. There are a few more tricks to getting that to fit, however a moot point. And yes, welding to their stuff is a pain in the rear.

The blueprint is not really a blueprint.

I understand your issue. I guess I am use to it. After owning 44 Porsches and been playng with them since the 80s I am just use to it.

If you would have called Mike at B&B he would have had you call me.....In this industry very little bolts right on. Just the sad truth. Some better than others but even some of the OEM is not what it use to be either.
Old 07-04-2007 | 08:19 PM
sonny1
Banned

Hey, Kellcats, I have a excellent Andial intercooler that will fit right in, pm me if need be.
Old 07-04-2007 | 08:25 PM
kellcats521
Advanced

The problem is that me bitching to B&B is meaningless - they don't give a hoot about 1 customer. The shop I worked in as a young man (building 1/4mi cars in Pgh, PA) did huge $$ with many aftermarket companies, and we called idiots like B&B out when they sent us junk. The aftermarket business listens to folks like YOU, not me making stuff fit in my garage. If you don't call them out (and keep buying their junk), they win, AND get a 'tude in the process (just like you said - if I call them, they'll say talk to you instead of thinking about fixing an issue).

Tell me this, how is it a good thing to have a customer come into your shop and want an intercooler like this unit, pay ~$1,800 for it, ~$600 for parts to fit it in the car, THEN another DAY (or 2) in labor/fab time to install it. Everyone but B&B feel like they got stiffed in this deal - you're charging an arm and a leg for something that you could build and install cheaper, the customer feels like they got hosed, while B&B (the bad apple in the bunch) is high on their horse.
Old 07-05-2007 | 01:05 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I do bitch and some things do get changed and some things do not. If you try to build it yourself and put it to market you need to win the lottery to afford the setup, castings and machine cost. So in the end we do what we can and we make the changes on this end.

I don't get screwed anymore. We now can do that job in 4 hours. I can't say that about the first one though.

Quick Reply: B&B longneck intercooler = garbage