Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

B&B longneck intercooler = garbage

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:13 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ed if you bought the install kit with the headers is SHOULD HAVE come with the pipe or if you bought the whole system. The "complete" kit would have included that, gaskets, nuts and even a wrench.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:26 PM
dytonaed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my B&B through the shop that was doing the engine rebuild on my car and I believe he purchased it through Performance Products here in California. This was a while back so I'm not sure if B&B now includes everything in their kit. I still wouldn't go with B&B on the future, I've seen the Koklen IC in person and difference in quality is much better.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:29 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

They have always been included when buying the whole system. Something is not right here! Doesn't matter where it came from, you order the complete system the line and gaskets, pipe etc are all included.

The Koklen looks good, but when Rob sold the company the castings changed and so did the service. We no longer will sell nor support a once stellar product. It is not what it use to be either and fittment issues are as bad as what Pat has described with his B&B.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:48 PM
dytonaed
Advanced

In that case then the shop that I used screwed me over. Wouldn't surprise me I had an exhaust leak and found out they had mismatched nuts on the headers when I went to fix the leak. I did finished the job right by replacing the studs with ARP studs and copper nuts.
Thank's for the insight Stephen, I wasn't aware that Koklen was under new management.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:51 PM
JFairman
Racer

...reading all this is makeing me like the old halfbay garretson/andial short neck on mine more.

how are the blown six long neck intercoolers?
how well do they fit?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:46 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

There are some pretty bad stories about Blown6's customer service on Pelican.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:05 PM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim, why the continued harping on Blown Six...?
I read the same threads on Pelican and will say my experience with the company has been nothing but positive... As are lots of others who came forward and posted they were very happy dealing with Michael of Blown Six.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 AM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

You don't have to go to Pelican to find Blown Six stories... There was one on here not too long ago.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:17 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E-man930
Jim, why the continued harping on Blown Six...?
I read the same threads on Pelican and will say my experience with the company has been nothing but positive... As are lots of others who came forward and posted they were very happy dealing with Michael of Blown Six.
I'm just passing along my general impression that's all. If I read a bunch of threads extolling the virtues of their customer service I would pass that along instead.

BTW, this is my first comment on the company- I'm sure you're referring to others harping.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the B&B "short neck" on mine and beyond having to remove the tail shroud, it bolted right in. I bought mine used from a fellow Rennlister and got a good deal on it. However, if I were buying new (full price), the B&B would not have made my "short list".

My dream is to have the factory 964 Turbo intercooler (despite being told about it's aging design), but prices have been all over the place, for some pretty scary looking examples. When the time is right, I'm sure one will drop into my lap like manna from heaven (yeah right)!

In the interim, what I'd really like is a way to remove this clunky-azz BOV/Recirc. assembly and adapt my current B&B short neck intercooler to the throttle body - obviously running the C2 valve. But in looking at how the "old skool" BOV housing is sort of offset on the throttle body, this doesn't look like a simple task. I keep thinking I'll find a piece of Samco hose that'll be just right and I can put my dastardly plan into action...
Old 07-06-2007, 11:26 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

You need to reweld the neck of the old BOV and cut all that crap off. Just have the oulet to the throttle body and that is it. I have done it a couple of times and it works fairly well. If there was a market for these I would CNC them again. I just haven't seen the request like there was 10-15 years ago.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
You need to reweld the neck of the old BOV and cut all that crap off. Just have the oulet to the throttle body and that is it. I have done it a couple of times and it works fairly well. If there was a market for these I would CNC them again. I just haven't seen the request like there was 10-15 years ago.
I thought about doing it this way and you'll think I'm crazy for even worrying about it, but I had hoped to just remove the entire assembly and stash it away with the other stuff I've removed. I know it's doubtful that if I ever sold my car the new owner would give a damn if I had the original unmolested BOV assembly...but I have quite a collection of stuff that will go with my car!

Stephen probably has an entire warehouse of these things!

Just curious, what material is the housing made of?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:38 AM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Maybe people are selling their computer controlled beasts and reverting back to the raw feel of the 930 .
Old 07-06-2007, 11:50 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

sand_man,

The part is aluminum . You can cut a section out of the top and tig the end together.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:48 AM
SEW QUIK
Intermediate

I did not know that Kokeln was under different management. I bought my Kokeln from IA a while ago and have been very happy with it and the detailed advice IA has given me on numerous occasions.

Having followed the agony of the B&B install that started this thread in the first place, and knowing about the Blown Six issues, my question for Stephen (and anyone else) is what 930 intercooler upgrade do they currently recommend?

Quick Reply: B&B longneck intercooler = garbage