Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question...
Old 07-09-2007, 09:18 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the short neck B&B and it went right in except for the plastic shroud that had to be removed. Everything lines right up with the existing hoses and brackets.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:03 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

B&B short neck, B&B long neck if installed in house or by shop or I use Andials short or long neck conversions and we also make our own custom aps.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:11 PM
kellcats521
Advanced

Default Update - pics included....

This will be long winded..... I apologize for the quality of the pics - I needed a little camera to get in under the intercooler so the digital SLR was out. My phone has 2.0 MP, but quality is so-so at best.

At first look, the install doesn't seem too bad - this is after the rear wiper is removed, along with the diverter.... I will admit that the general shape of this intercooler is sweet, and that is really what kept me working at getting it installed.

Now, let's get closer - this is a nitpick, but for $1,800 you'd think they could drill a hole for a mounting stud far enough away from the unit to actually put a nut on said stud - as I said before it's painfully obvious that billy (sunken) boat is a clueless operation:

Now, down to the bracket that's next to the coil - with the intercooler angled ala C2 full bay, you can see that the bracket NEEDED to be cut just to fit the unit in:

Here's a shot with the ear of the bracket held in place - it's easily observed as to how it interferes with the coil mount and fan housing:

There was NO WAY to mount this thing in the same manner as a C2 unit with that bracket - as an aside, B&B does NOT have ONE picture of this unit installed in a 930, and, as I expected, our other 'expert' has yet to produce a picture. I have pictures, not a bunch of HOT AIR.
Now, on to the left side, which is MUCH more fun.....

The BOV and wastegate ports were very 'well' designed - they coincidentally interfere with a very minor item - the decklid hinge. Not only will the lid not close, but it's also impossible to even connect the BOV. This is truly a sweet design - my hat's off to the guy who claims to install these..... The bracket back by the CIS unit is also off 'a bit'.... whoever designed/installed/welded these brackets at B&B really needs to lay off the sauce.

Also, another minor point - there is no provision for the AAR hose, so I'll need to drill and tap the back tank:

This pic is looking down on the back left corner (which can only be seen since I removed the wiper motor - another thing that EVERYONE convienently forgot to mention when I discussed buying this unit):

Again, ****-poor locations for the boost sensor and cutoff switch....Not to mention these need to be drilled and tapped - anyone keep a spare M18/1.5 tap laying around? Also, I couldn't show this in a pic, but the A/C line that runs up into the decklid on the left side most likely needs to be totally relocated since it interferes on the hinge (see above), and it hits the intercooler where it goes up into the decklid.... The condenser can stay where it is Good luck getting A/C lines attached to it, but that sucker can stay in there!!

Now, we'll try to adjust the intercooler to set it up like a 'normal' 930 unit rather than being angled like the C2. Check out the fan bracket now - it's only 1.5" away from the fan/coil mount when the intercooler is set up to 'just' miss the end of the decklid when closed:

Also, the bracket back by the CIS is equally wrong:

And, we're in no better shape with respect to the decklid hinge and the BOV/wastegate connections:

Well, there is is.... Basically an $1,800 waste of aluminum, and waay too much time fighting on my part.

Pat K
87 930
Old 07-12-2007, 10:26 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOLY SMOKES!!!! Frustrating to say the least. I have to admit that's the very first B&B "long neck" intercooler that I've ever seen. Totally different from its "short neck" cousin! The tanks on mine are located on the sides...yours are front to back. Not sure what to say other than I'll hold out for a factory C2 intercooler (3.3L or 3.6L) and consider myself lucky that my B&B fits.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:04 AM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you need help cutting and re-welding the parts on the intercooler creating issues I can help you. send me an email and I'll give you my number.
Thanks for posting pictures, I discovered long ago (the hard way) that if a vendor doesn't have installed pictures of their product don't buy it.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

start looking for video cameras 'cause you got punked. Anyone that said that unit fit had the rubber hose on his (edit) Why does it even have cast tanks? Even if every Porsche ever made got one it doesn't justify such a bad cast. We have a guy here locally that fabs I/C's for rice rockets and radiators for motorcycles and baja trucks all day long and each one is one off and they turn out better than that. personally I would have sent it back prior to the first cut and just after I opened the box. sorry.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:07 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If they all look like that compared to the Kokeln I have, I'll take the Kokeln.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:44 PM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't want to add fuel to the fire but I want to make a point.

A teenage kid can go on ebay and spend $125 doallars on a front mount intercooler kit for thier 2001 Honda Civic Si that will have zero fitment issues and perform as expected. If they did not, the import community would boycott their products and the company would go out of business. For some reason, when it comes to the Porsche aftermarket, companies sell s$@* and Porsche owners get burned, wisen up and avoid the bs companies and thier products, but no one really seems to tell everyone and their grandpa to avoid the company selling the BS products...

Only the buying audience can make an impact...
Old 07-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

OK, here is the local guy I was talking about. has anyone ever tried PWR? the work is world class and reasonably priced. it is so simple to do and easy to get right the first time that it is funny to me that B&B didn't get it right. PWR is a small 8 to 10 man shop that does a huge business with jigs and an even bigger business "one off".

just called PWR regarding a one off 930 I/C fully enginered / tested / polished / the full kit.....$700.00 tops if they can see the car. if a couple guys go in and they do a run....$500 tops. put that in you pipe and smoke it.
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Can you get general estimates as far as size (1/2 bay, 3/4 bay, full bay), etc? It would be great to have a supplier that gave a crap about quality and integrity of his product. I'd be willing to donate my stock I/C to them this winter to use as a template.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Gary, try "PWR performance products" on your search engine. several links will come up. the owner and the production manager's name are in my file at work. (tried to sell them boxes a couple years ago.) it's a nice family run shop that is top notch. it's one of those places they have to chase you out of to get you to leave. I am sure they could do anything you asked. It is cool to see there stuff on supercross bikes and monster trucks on the speed channel. every day you see an s2000 or something out of skunk2 with a huge intercooler under it with the red PWR on it.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:29 AM
kellcats521
Advanced

Originally Posted by E-man930
I don't want to add fuel to the fire but I want to make a point.

A teenage kid can go on ebay and spend $125 doallars on a front mount intercooler kit for thier 2001 Honda Civic Si that will have zero fitment issues and perform as expected. If they did not, the import community would boycott their products and the company would go out of business. For some reason, when it comes to the Porsche aftermarket, companies sell s$@* and Porsche owners get burned, wisen up and avoid the bs companies and thier products, but no one really seems to tell everyone and their grandpa to avoid the company selling the BS products...

Only the buying audience can make an impact...
I agree with this, and it applies to more than just imports - the american car aftermarket industry is generally also very good, even for track-only stuff where you expect to have fitment issues. The reason that things 'work' for these other cars has little to do with the typical guy like me putting parts on in his garage - the shops that install these parts are the force that makes the producers stay on top of things. They will call out crappy vendors, and eventually either force them to get it right or go out of business. The P-car aftermarket appear to have a bunch of limp-wrists who find it easier to tell their somewhat wealthy customers to 'deal with the cost' as they fabricate/modify garbage to fit in the car - totally 180deg. from every other car I've worked on.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:41 AM
kellcats521
Advanced

Originally Posted by douglas bray
OK, here is the local guy I was talking about. has anyone ever tried PWR? the work is world class and reasonably priced. it is so simple to do and easy to get right the first time that it is funny to me that B&B didn't get it right. PWR is a small 8 to 10 man shop that does a huge business with jigs and an even bigger business "one off".

just called PWR regarding a one off 930 I/C fully enginered / tested / polished / the full kit.....$700.00 tops if they can see the car. if a couple guys go in and they do a run....$500 tops. put that in you pipe and smoke it.
I'll send them this B&B unit tomorrow to use as a starting point - I think it would make for a great unit if the brackets and tanks were right. They are 'close'.... close enough to make you pull your hair out and scrap the install.

If they were in the Atlanta area, I'd lend them my car for a few days too.....

At this point I've totally scrapped the B&B install - I had a 2nd diverter assembly which I cut in half and welded the end closed so for now I can remount the stock IC and use the C2 BOV. It's very frustrating in that it was easier for me to butcher a diverter, TIG it back together, plumb in the new BOV,
and fab a new rear mount for the stock IC versus mounting this B&B.....

Anyone need a C2 IC inlet hose???

In the end I think I'll end up scrapping or relocating the condenser and buying the Blownsix C2 unit, but I'm not in any hurry to do it. I'll take it easy for the summer(no track time and 0.7 bar limit), and revisit it over the winter.....
Old 07-14-2007, 01:54 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I think the point is made. Doug, if you have a contact there you have at least (lets toss out a number) 5 people that will spend well over $750 US for an IC that fits. Once the secret is out God help the poor guy that makes a good product!

Quick Reply: B&B longneck intercooler = garbage