911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

B&B longneck intercooler = garbage

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:40 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD

In this industry very little bolts right on. Just the sad truth.
Wise words.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:40 AM
kellcats521
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sonny1
Hey, Kellcats, I have a excellent Andial intercooler that will fit right in, pm me if need be.
I'm certain it works are well as the Andial enrichment kit I have sitting here....

I've spent a lot of $$ on other parts to get this longneck-style B&B in my car (close to $1K, including the airbox) - there is no way that I'm putting the diverter back in and going back to the stock-ish unit. I may just trash the A/C and go to a full 965 unit at this point - looking at the blownsix 965 unit sitting next to an OE 965 unit I can at least see that they put all of the mounts and hoses in the correct places.....
Old 07-05-2007, 01:42 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kellcats521
I'm certain it works are well as the Andial enrichment kit I have sitting here....
Lets us know how well that actually works out.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:46 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Wise words.
That is why I do not get bent out of shape anymore. Nothing fits, not for a Porsche a Benz, Audi, VW you name it. It all takes some degree of work. I fab and build for a living so I don't bitch, choices are slim so I fix it, built kits around it to make it fit and do it. Until I win the lottery and can build my own that is the way it is. I have looked many times at building headers, intercoolers and a few more things. It is a joke. The minute even the foundries find out that it is for a Porsche the price goes through the roof. I would rather just buy a core and weld it up and call it a day. About as much work and hassle. At least I have control.

Besides, there are better things to get worked up about in this world and it isn’t a toy that we bought to love and tinker with.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:50 AM
kellcats521
Advanced

Lets us know how well that actually works out.
I got the andial kit with a complete intake from a guy who went EFI - I bought his stuff to get the Euro fuel head/lines/injectors, and I now proudly have hung the mass of andial wires and plumbing up in my garage as a testement to modern technology.....
Luckily, we both knew the value of the andial kit, as he didn't charge me any extra for it.....
Old 07-05-2007, 02:02 AM
kellcats521
Advanced

That is why I do not get bent out of shape anymore. Nothing fits, not for a Porsche a Benz, Audi, VW you name it. It all takes some degree of work. I fab and build for a living so I don't bitch, choices are slim so I fix it, built kits around it to make it fit and do it. Until I win the lottery and can build my own that is the way it is. I have looked many times at building headers, intercoolers and a few more things. It is a joke. The minute even the foundries find out that it is for a Porsche the price goes through the roof. I would rather just buy a core and weld it up and call it a day. About as much work and hassle. At least I have control.

Besides, there are better things to get worked up about in this world and it isn’t a toy that we bought to love and tinker with.
I am bent outta shape on this - your statement is totally untrue - I've worked on many, many cars, from Ferraris to Toyotas, and Porsche is UNIQUE to this type of garbage - high price for poor quality. I work during the day so I have $$ to ENJOY a car like a 930, not become miffed every time I walk around the back of it and see the hole in the decklid where a 'normal' car's rear wiper is.... WTF is that - no one at B&B bothered to let that tidbit of info outts their ***** when I asked about this unit.

I did MUCH more than blindly buy this IC - I called B&B, IA, and other 'experts'.... No one prepared me for this trash. A typical guy in his garage has no prayer for this install - I did a dual IC upgrade on my 300ZXTT 10 years ago with hand tools and no welding equipment, and this was on a 3yr old car, not one that folks have had 20+ years to 'test' fit parts on to.

It's a joke, a sad joke that will get worse based on this mindset.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:20 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Sure it is just like I haven't installed the intercooler before either? You did not talk to me when you called nor asked about the install with my guys because if you had I would explained what needed to happen to make the intercooler fit. So bottom line is while B&B will tell you that there are some minor mods that need to occur I would have explained the whole thing in full to you prior to you buying it.

FWIW if you think the guys going to a 965 are doing any less mods you are wrong. IE the wiper, the condenser, the mounts, the fan housing and so on. That intercooler is based on those points. It needs some work but certainly did not need to be cut apart. Ferrari...LOL, a Tubi fits right on a Gallardo!

I have modified every car I have owned and if you think that putting a set of headers on a Turbo Z car doesn't require a hell of a lot of work you have a skewed sense of what fits and what doesn't. Or a blower kit in a Viper, a Mustang and so on.

Bottom line is go spend the 3K for the Andial long neck and then another fist full of dollars for the additional hardware needed. Compared to the 1800.00 you spent that is double the money! Is that worth it? You could do as Don suggested and buy a core and just build your own.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:22 AM
kellcats521
Advanced

Since you've brought this up, I DID talk to YOU directly on several occasions, AND I ordered a 'kit' of parts that you assembled to install this IC from you.

You're about unbelievable..... I'd prolly sell my Porsche if for some moronic reason your shop ended up being my only alternative for service.

And, I'm waiting for the pics, especially the ones with the wiper arm hole in the decklid. Did you tell the customer he'd get better air flow with that hole open???
Old 07-05-2007, 09:20 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Again, you are making this harder than it needs to be. You can go down to any autoparts store and buy a plug and paint it. You can also call Eric at Bumper plugs and give him the size of the opening and color code for your car and he will send you what you need. You will need to measure the main hole and he will be able to come up with the plug should you not be able to. As far as the last customer we did the kit for he had a 17K mile 930 and wanted the wiper to stay so I cut the shaft and welded it together and put the wiper back on so it looks like it was still functional. This was his request and it was very simply to do.

Correct, you said I need C2T parts and I shipped them. I now know who you are since you attacked me in my first response to you on the thread as opposed to telling me who you are. I did in fact tell you it took some work, I also explained that the air box wouldn't fit at the same time and when you got to the install call with questions. If you had called I could have walked you through every part of this but you have chosen to make a mountain out of a mole hill. If you would like to chat you still have my number. Good luck with your install.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:19 AM
kellcats521
Advanced

Here's my take on mounting this thing:
1) cut/reweld the arm that mounts to the coil bracket as it was angled and it is just plain wrong. This is the biggest 'issue' since the cast tank is a porous hunk of crap - one of the poorest castings I've ever seen.
2) clearance the tab near the TB so you can actually thread a nut on to the mounting stud.
3) design an arm to connect the mount near the CIS unit to the OE 965 mounting bracket (it mounts to the manifold where the diverter mounted - the diverter is removed for this IC)
4) remove the entire rear wiper (motor and all) and tweak the decklid hinge to allow for the wastegate and BOV lines to connect to the IC. Might have to remove/relocate the A/C line that is zip tied to the hinge as well (but that condenser can stay in the decklid... ).
5) drill and tap fittings for boost sensor and boost cutoff (and AAR - I'm not sure if this hose is needed)
6) get an aftermarket air cleaner (I did the $20 mr. gasket unit), as the stock airbox will not fit - you could cut and weld part of the stock airbox to fit it in, but that seems like a total waste....

I think that about sums it up - $1,800 for the intercooler, $600 in 'extra' parts NEEDED (could easily be $1,000 if you buy the K&N or other 'hi-po' airbox) to actually USE the IC for something other than a (billy) boat anchor, and a good day or 2 of R/R and fabbing.

My install is prolly done as far as this intercooler is concerned - I am not scrapping the wiper and an A/C condenser line for an intercooler w/o going all the way to a 965 or other custom unit - if I need to fab this up I might as well actually get real benefit from the work. It pisses me off that I've flushed a bunch of cash, mainly because I knew going in the B&B is a worthless company.....

I don't have any confidence in your advice and my personal 20 years of mostly part-time car building experience tells me that what I've listed above is what NEEDS to be done - feel free to BS and downplay stuff to other folks here....
Old 07-05-2007, 11:27 AM
aeschen
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

All bickering aside, it is a shame so much work is required to fit a suposedly bolt on part. You guys say this is "par for course" but I dont see why it needs to be the case. 450$ buys an intercooler of similar quality and complexity for a subaru with perfect fitment......I know it is not apples to apples but I can sypathise with the OP sentiments. Is the short neck B&B at least a direct bolt on?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:39 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

The standard fit does bolt right on because the blow off system has to be retained. The only thing you will need to remove is the shroud in the deck lid since the B&B core is thicker.

The issue with other is the conversion to a long neck that was designed off of the C2T. This is not considered a "bolt" on since there were various changes to the C2T and make the fittment not a direct bolt on.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:40 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

I had fitment issues with my shortneck- Stephen replaced my first one b/c the TB opening was off, but the second one came with a 3/4" crack in the end tank.

That cost me some $ to have welded up so it was a bit of a pita. I guess they're all made by hand so there will be some variability in fitment.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:53 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

"I do bitch and some things do get changed and some things do not. If you try to build it yourself and put it to market you need to win the lottery to afford the setup, castings and machine cost. So in the end we do what we can and we make the changes on this end."

If I win the lottery, Stephen would receive a grant to acquire all of the machine's necessary to solve every problem on Rennlist albeit except for the ones associated with the driver's seat

Last edited by dholling13; 07-05-2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-05-2007, 06:09 PM
dytonaed
Advanced

I pruchased an IC(short neck), Muffler and headers from B&B for the money I paid I expected to get the WG pipe to be included but no that was extra. My opinion is the Koklen IC is a much better choice.
And I do agree that parts for these cars are inflated as well as shop rates. That's why I try to do as much of the work on my cars as I can, to a degreethat is. I will take my car in (reluctantly) for major repair work that I can't do on my own.

Quick Reply: B&B longneck intercooler = garbage