Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

anyone looking for a powerhaus k29 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:09 AM
stewardx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My .2 cents

Originally Posted by turbobrat930
Do you really want me to answer this???? Just because a company sells something, does it really mean it's the best out there??? NO..... Talk to several folks on this board and others who have done upgrades on their own cars... talk to people who race them... get the real scoop... Dont just talk to one shop and take what they say or sell as the only alternative...

just about everyone who answered your two posts have advised you that the snail that you have is outdated by 5 to 10 years or so... There are MUCh better alternatives out there now...

As far as FerrariPete advised... your turbo might be worth something as a core, or as a diesel turbo... but there are better solutions for a 930....

I don't know who you are or really care, but I am Wes Steward and have sold more turbos from more manufactures than you can name. I work for Lindsey Racing before and since they have been a business. The reason Powerhaus sell this turbo is because of the thrust plate design. Most companys turbos use spring plate designs because there cheaper to manufactor because the machine shops don't have to hold as tight of a tolerance so it doesn't cost as much to machine. I would know this because I am a CNC programmer by trade. The problem with spring thrust plates are as the spring get hot it loses it preload on the thrust plate and the turbine shaft can float due to improper tension, this can also happen if your bypass valve was to fail and back pressure the turbo. This turbo does not have spring plate they are bolted and solid so that the thrust bearing remains proper just remember you get what you pay for. That is why Powerhaus sells this turbo so they are not replacing a ton of turbos due to failers where the turbines have impacted the housing and putting nice little pieces of alumimum in the air stream and into the motor where it collects on the top ring and takes out the bore.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:08 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

Originally Posted by stewardx
I don't know who you are or really care, but I am Wes Steward and have sold more turbos from more manufactures than you can name. I work for Lindsey Racing before and since they have been a business.

Hmm, I really could care who you are either.......

The reason Powerhaus sell this turbo is because of the thrust plate design. Most companys turbos use spring plate designs because there cheaper to manufactor because the machine shops don't have to hold as tight of a tolerance so it doesn't cost as much to machine. I would know this because I am a CNC programmer by trade. The problem with spring thrust plates are as the spring get hot it loses it preload on the thrust plate and the turbine shaft can float due to improper tension, this can also happen if your bypass valve was to fail and back pressure the turbo. This turbo does not have spring plate they are bolted and solid so that the thrust bearing remains proper just remember you get what you pay for. That is why Powerhaus sells this turbo so they are not replacing a ton of turbos due to failers where the turbines have impacted the housing and putting nice little pieces of alumimum in the air stream and into the motor where it collects on the top ring and takes out the bore.
Hmmm, I guess thousands of import owners who use this turbo are grenading turbos left and right??? Maybe that is why the GT series of turbos are some of the most popular out there.... I sincerly doubt that if they are having the "problems" that you suggest, then there would be a manufacturing change to solve the problem. I have heard good things form the HF and HFS series of turbos that are being made out there.... but that is an entirely different animal, not the "old school" turbo that you are fronting...

If you have an specific application such as a 935, that VZ935 has, then yes, that may be the perfect turbo. But if you do drive a car such as that, you more than likely would not be daily driving the beast, therefore, can live with the RPM that the boost will come on, etc....

And one last thing....if you do work in sales at Lindsey Racing, and do not talk about the WIDE range of available turbos that are out there for use in our cars, then you are offering a disservice to your potential customers.... If I called you up, and you were offering only one brand of turbo, and did not tell me that there are other turbos out there that would give better spool up time, with decreased outlet temps, then I would NEVER use you again!!

Ok, now I am off my soapbox... have a good day!!

Last edited by turbobrat930; 07-05-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:10 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

BTW, Spence and FerarriPete....those are AWESOME bikes you both have...very nice...
Old 07-05-2007, 05:45 PM
ferraripete
Racer

thank you for the compliment and kind words from macon, ga!!!

pcb
Old 07-05-2007, 05:57 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbobrat930
Hmmm, I guess thousands of import owners who use this turbo are grenading turbos left and right??? Maybe that is why the GT series of turbos are some of the most popular out there.... I sincerly doubt that if they are having the "problems" that you suggest, then there would be a manufacturing change to solve the problem. I have heard good things form the HF and HFS series of turbos that are being made out there.... but that is an entirely different animal, not the "old school" turbo that you are fronting...

As far as you working at Lindsey Racing..... If you are so important there, why are you not on their contact list on the website? Is it because maybe you are just a parts boy?? or a sales boy?? Are you qualified to work at Autozone??
I could really care less who you are either, but maybe you should stick to CNC programming. I did not get on this post to bash you, just to make a statement that the K-29 is an outdated piece of junk, that could be used on a diesel, but i would not EVER bolt another one on a P-car. There are simply better alternatives nowadays...

If you have an specific application such as a 935, that VZ935 has, then yes, that may be the perfect turbo. But if you do drive a car such as that, you more than likely would not be daily driving the beast, therefore, can live with the RPM that the boost will come on, etc....

And one last thing....if you do work in sales at Lindsey Racing, and do not talk about the WIDE range of available turbos that are out there for use in our cars, then you are offering a disservice to your potential customers.... If I called you up, and you were offering only one brand of turbo, and did not tell me that there are other turbos out there that would give better spool up time, with decreased outlet temps, then I would NEVER use you again!!

Ok, now I am off my soapbox... have a good day!!

Dude - parts boy?
You are waaay the hell out of line on this thread.
The guy is trying to sell a ****ing turbo and your busting his ***** non-stop.
What is wrong with you?

You don't even mention the story behind the supposed problem.
It has been said, that the triple K's are more able to cope with high Porsche oil pressure than the GT's.
This was true at first, but the problems have been addressed.
Still, some guys want a KKK - the KKK probably IS more durable in the long run for a driver.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:05 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

special tool, maybe I was a little harsh..... edited my post above..... I would have never went that route...but he was the one who said... I am So and So, and I work at....blah, blah, blah.... and I KNOW what I am talking about... it is obvious that he doesn't.

As far as some guys till want the KKK's, then thats fine, it's their car. My first post mearly stated that he might want to rethink his asking price as you CAN get a better, WAY more updated turbo for almost the same dough.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

The turbocharger might have a bolted on thrust. But it still doesn't change the fact that the compressor wheel installed is inefficient, it will make the boost due to the size. But while it's making boost, it's generating alot of heat.. This is a classic case Garrett vs KKK.. There are better/newer/ more efficient compressor wheels that can be used. If someone has to have this turbocharger, one would be better off installing a more efficient wheel.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:16 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevin
The turbocharger might have a bolted on thrust. But it still doesn't change the fact that the compressor wheel installed is inefficient, it will make the boost due to the size. But while it's making boost, it's generating alot of heat.. This is a classic case Garrett vs KKK.. There are better/newer/ more efficient compressor wheels that can be used. If someone has to have this turbocharger, one would be better off installing a more efficient wheel.

Believe me - noone advocates new designs like me!!
You guys would not believe what is on my 951.
But let the guy sell the thing.
You just know there are 10 guys who want it and don't care how good the Garrets are.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:57 PM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

Wow.. I don't know much about turbo's I'll admit it .. all I know is my twin turbo GT1R car was one of the fastest in the country , as a mater of fact Johannes van Overbeek said it was the fastest car he had ever run..never dnf'd .... set track records in class @ thunderhill , road america.... I ran both ball bearing and shaft turbo's.. at the time, 4-5 years ago I preferred the performance and reliability I was getting out of my Tial built shaft turbo's that Gregg built me over his ball bearing and the three sets of wammodyne ball bearing turbo's turbonetics gave me ...I watched many a hot purpose built turbo race car blow up just chasing me for qual times with the killer ball bearing turbo's, though the turbo's were not neccesarily the problem.... but things change and the debate about what turbo's are best is another subject.. I think the point is this guy was trying to sell a turbo and someone came in and basically.. the way I read it... told him somewhat rudely that he was nuts and no one likes to be told they are nuts .. do they ? I think that communcation could have been handled via PM with a softer touch vs the open forum
Old 07-06-2007, 04:06 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe the communication could be handled differently, but this response is not uncommon when someone tries to sell something on a technical forum - it begs for discussion.

If Wes is interested in a straight sale, he should join Rennlist (not just for that reason) and post his ad in the two available classifieds sections of this website.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:35 PM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think calling this forum a "technical forum" is a bit of a stretch...
Only a few of the posters here would be able to actually understand and compare flow maps between the varient of K-29 the original poster is selling and that of a Garrett or "modern" based compressor built around a similarly sized frame...

I am in agreement that someone is selling a good condition K-29 and the "weekend engineers" on the board decide to chime in and say "well your turbo is outdated and old... because... because... well that is what I read on the forums" I wonder how many people actually used a K-29 on a properly set up 930, they are the people you should be listening to for feedback.

Lets take some time for an etiqutte lesson shall we?

When someone posts some thing for sale on a "regularly" moderated forum or bulletin board and you post ANYTHING in the thread that does not have anything to do with a genuine inquirey about the item for sale or a does not help the orignial poster sell said item or inform the intended audience of the reputation of the seller behind said item, take a momment to congratulate yourself... you just commited THREAD CRAPPING.

In other words taking a virtual "dump" on a fellow members add.

This gets you banned after your first warning on "regular" boards.

Now lets take another moment to analyze the hoopla deeply imbedded in this thead... A K-29 may have a less efficient compressor wheel when comparing them to a equivalent Garret sized wheel, but do you actually understand the difference in real world sustained flow for a given rpm / load when comparing turbochargers? Post real world data showing net HP / TQ gained from switching from the antiquated KKK wheel to a Garret on the exact same K-29 turbo or one that shares it's exact frame and turbine wheel. Afterall, isn't that what really matters. Mayne next time someone sells 8MM spark plug wires everyone should quickly post how outdated those are and how much more insulating the 10MM spark plug wires are...

BTW, what is stopping anyone who is having "efficiency issues" from buying this turbocharger then fitting a "holy grail" wheel? Looks like a great base for a turbo for anyone looking to build a single turbo rocketship-thrust 930. I think Kevin had previously built one. Good night kiddies, hope at least someone wised up. (And I originally thought I was stepping up into 930 ownership from a 951)

Last edited by E-man930; 07-06-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:32 PM
stewardx
Instructor

Turbo is sold

Quick Reply: anyone looking for a powerhaus k29 turbo?