911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

*The official WUR thread*

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 11:42 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb *The official WUR thread*

So many questions about WURs.....probably the most important component of most of the cars we own.

So, let's start a 'sub-forum' on WURs in general!
-----
I'll start. Is it safe to say that the idle mixture only has an effect on fuel mixture *until* the WUR kicks in and delivers full boost full enrichment?
Old 09-18-2006, 12:51 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRS
Is it safe to say that the idle mixture only has an effect on fuel mixture *until* the WUR kicks in and delivers full boost full enrichment?
I think that is correct. After the engine is warm, it is all about the hex head adjuster on the fuel dist.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:59 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't answer that, but what happened to Brent 930's RPM activated WUR? He used an MSD rev controller to adjust it (along with some internal mods maybe)? Seemed like a good and cheap way to go.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=wur
Old 09-18-2006, 09:10 AM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I think that is correct. After the engine is warm, it is all about the hex head adjuster on the fuel dist.
I would take it that turning the adjuster clockwise would lean it and anti-clockwise to richen?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:39 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeWolf
I would take it that turning the adjuster clockwise would lean it and anti-clockwise to richen?
If you're talking about the mixture control adjuster on the fuel metering housing, the opposite is true:
CW=RICH
CCW=LEAN
Old 09-18-2006, 10:21 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by 38D
This is sort of what I thought...however you can see my results in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-turbo-930-forum/297546-a-crazy-little-thing-called-a-wur-warm-up-regulator.html
By doing the basic WUR mod and INCREASING my cold fuel pressures (I was originally too rich), everything changed for me. At start up and at WOT. My AFRs are stabalized acrross the RPM range. Don't forget I also have the Imgine Auto fuel head. Obviously there is room for improvement, but the car has been transformed...for now!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Olli
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeWolf
I have read the instruction to remember that to lean "out" is turning CCW....sorry about the duplication of info here...
Old 09-18-2006, 11:31 AM
WERK-I
Pro

L-L....R-R
turn Left to "Lean", Right to "Richen".
Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming........WUR
Old 09-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Can't answer that, but what happened to Brent 930's RPM activated WUR? He used an MSD rev controller to adjust it (along with some internal mods maybe)? Seemed like a good and cheap way to go.

I think Brian Leask is sort of continuing on Brent 930's path and to my knowledge is the only one doing it today to help others.

The Brent 930/Brian Leask RPM Switch/Solenoid solution consists mainly of the Solenoid: OEM-91161812300 called Change Over Valve and the MSD RPM Activated Switch, I believe it's part number 8950 and there's an RPM Module to go with it to. I believe you'd need to choose the RPM module that you need, probably the 4000RPM one, or the more expensive adjustable one where you can adjust the RPMs based on the needs. I think Brian is working on a kit that will be easy to install as you need wiring and brackets to go with these parts. Brian, please correct me if I am mis-stating something here.

Pelikan is out of stock with these Change Over Valves so if you need this mod quick and can get one off your car (I guess belonging A/C system), that's the way to go.

I think the above RPM switch/Solenoid solution combined with the adjustable WUR is as good as we can have it with CIS.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by WERK-I
L-L....R-R
turn Left to "Lean", Right to "Richen".
Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming........WUR
Agreed. At the risk of stating the obvious, my post #9 above relates to the WUR in the sense that the RPM Switch delays the WUR sensing the boost until the specified RPM number, thus eliminating the initial fuel dump at the mid-RPM range. One still positively needs to adjust the WUR for the appropriate FT pressure, most likely needing to be in the 2.15-2.4 bar range to get the flat 12.0-12.5 AFR line from 4000RPM onwards.

BTW. what I am writing about the RPM switch here is something I have just very recently learnt from Brian Leask. So, I admit that I lack any solid experience that goes with these couple of comments I posted.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:54 PM
SUPRADAN
AutoX

Hello,

I have a 84 Euro fuel system. The car runs really rich at all times. At WOT I noticed it feels rough. After 20 minutes of idleing its soo rich I can't barley stand close to it without having my eyes burned off. I decided to connect a CIS tester and run a couple of tests to see what the WUR was doing. Ran the fuel pumps while the WUR power is disconnected and the CIS tester tapped in between the Fuel Head and WUR, and this the reading I got 19-20 psi. I then connected the power back on and started the car Cold and this the reading I got, 59psi. The gauge did not fall below 59 psi, even when the car was warmed up. From what I've read, the operiatning fuel pressure should be at 20 psi. Does these readings indicate the the WUR is not working correctley? Any ideas to what might be happening here?

Daniel
Old 09-18-2006, 01:04 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i didn't know Brian was following up on Brett's idea (or their idea). I had seen a picture of Brents at one time, but couldn't find it last night.

Originally Posted by Olli
I think Brian Leask is sort of continuing on Brent 930's path and to my knowledge is the only one doing it today to help others.

The Brent 930/Brian Leask RPM Switch/Solenoid solution consists mainly of the Solenoid: OEM-91161812300 called Change Over Valve and the MSD RPM Activated Switch, I believe it's part number 8950 and there's an RPM Module to go with it to. I believe you'd need to choose the RPM module that you need, probably the 4000RPM one, or the more expensive adjustable one where you can adjust the RPMs based on the needs. I think Brian is working on a kit that will be easy to install as you need wiring and brackets to go with these parts. Brian, please correct me if I am mis-stating something here.

Pelikan is out of stock with these Change Over Valves so if you need this mod quick and can get one off your car (I guess belonging A/C system), that's the way to go.

I think the above RPM switch/Solenoid solution combined with the adjustable WUR is as good as we can have it with CIS.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:33 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Brian Leask RPM switch setup here, ready to install. Incredibly complete, prewired, ready to install, absolutely awesome directions. Could not be better in any way

With no garage at home I have to wait for the rain to stop in order to install it ;-)

Already installed the Leask WUR - already a significant difference from stock.

IMO, the Leask setup IS A MUST FOR OUR 930s!
Old 09-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
i didn't know Brian was following up on Brett's idea (or their idea). I had seen a picture of Brents at one time, but couldn't find it last night.
I do have a couple of pictures that Brian has sent me but I would rather see him post them here himself since I feel he has a stake in this from the intellectual property point of view.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:05 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Trust me guys, the Leask setup is THE setup for the 930s. Just look at my dyno and check out that before(blue) and after(red) torque and AFR...

http://northeasttarrantderm.com/davi...ynoResults.jpg

Quick Reply: *The official WUR thread*