Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

my fuel head - did I do this right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 02:12 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my fuel head - did I do this right?

Here is a picture of my "old" fuel head - see the connection circled with a red oval:

Here is a picture of my Imagine Auto fuel head - notice the same connection came blocked off:

When I installed the Imagine fuel head, I removed this small bolt and installed the line. Did I do the right thing or should I have left it blocked and not connected this line? I'm not sure if this is the line for the cold start valve. My car is a 1987 model.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:25 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

I would suggest emailing these pictures to Stephen. I am sure there is a simple explanation.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:11 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 08-16-2006, 03:16 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by 930LDR
I would suggest emailing these pictures to Stephen. I am sure there is a simple explanation.
A while back, I actually did send him an email, but it was more than likely picked up as SPAM (due to the attachments) and removed from Stephen's in-box. So I made an executive descicsion and connected that line as it was on my other fuel head. I wonder what it does. I wonder if this explains my running rich condition at high RPMs. I'm just not sure of if he intended for that port to be blocked off...so many of these things are interchangable.

Last edited by sand_man; 08-17-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:29 PM
sand_man
Drifting

If all else fails, I'll just trace this line. If need be, I'll disconnect it and re-install the block-off. I guess the test will be if it runs and runs well without leaking gas all the place...
Old 08-16-2006, 04:56 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Now I wonder if the port that I have circled is for the Lambda frequecy valve? Being that I'm not using the Lambda "brain", I wonder if this should be blocked off.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:55 PM
sand_man
Drifting

did some MORE research and found this nugget:
Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Changing the injectors is a good idea. The fuel head modification closes down the lambda ports and the internal of the head is ported to mate the upper and lower chambers via internal pressure rather than a piggy back unreliable lambda function which almost always fails. The head is also re-flowed to increase volume by 15-21% fuel. If you want to simply reset the CO first then unhook the 02 and leave it unhooked. Let the system default the different pressure in the head permanently and set the CO to 3%.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:09 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I got home tonight, I ws going to check mine and see where it went. Looks like you already have your answer though...

Let us know how it works now.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:57 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Yep...that's certainly the frequency valve! I've removed the valve, plugged the port on the fuel dizzy, and installed the shorter fuel banjo bolt on the hose connection from the WUR back to the fuel dizzy. It's too late to start it tonight...cursed zork tube!!! So we'll see what happens in the morning!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:36 AM
sand_man
Drifting

The car started right up...no fuel leaks (yet). Out of the box acceleration does seem better. I'm still diving down into 10.5:1 for AFRs on a third gear pass. I need to determine how sustained this drop is. I've been able to lean it out a little more. I'll take a lunch time drive and see if my latest adjustments have worked. I can't go by my idle AFR as my O2 sensor doesn't read well at idle (right before I turned off the ignition, it was reading 20.3:1...which just ain't possible).
Old 08-17-2006, 01:40 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Any word from Stephen?
Old 08-17-2006, 02:45 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Any word from Stephen?
No, but I think it's right now with the Lambda line removed. Still can't get my AFRs to lean out under full boost. I've sent Brian Leask an email...the guy who does the custom WUR stuff. We'll see. I know that I can just drill the pin, add a screw and a nut and adjust the pin up or down, but I think his WUR will offer more adjustability.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:25 AM
sand_man
Drifting

I've been working with Brian Leask regarding the adjustable WUR. Hell of a nice guy! he's not out to sell you ANYTHING you don't need or that's not broken!

He happens to have a WUR for my year car in stock, already modified. He said he could dial back some of the fuleing on it before he sends it to me. He wants me to get my CIS fuel pressures tested, first. Unfortunately I sold my pressure gauges long ago. At this point, I'm tempted to just buy his WUR...I mean the thing is 20 years old and has NEVER been replaced and/or serviced.

He just doesn't get how my fuel head is leaned out so far that one c_nt-hair counter-clockwise turn more will keep the engine from running...yet on WOT full boost, things are going sooo rich.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:00 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Is it normal to get your pressures tested before buying it? Does he need it for a base line to set it up? Just wondering for down the road. I don't have gauges either...
Old 08-18-2006, 11:17 AM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Only if you are hoping that it comes to you adjusted as you need it. If you don't test your pressures you will be locked into the practice of adjust, install, test, let the motor cool down, remove, adjust, install, test, let the motor.... you catch my drift...

Quick Reply: my fuel head - did I do this right?