911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Widest possible rear rim/tire combo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Glenn,

The Hoosier 305 has a .5" wider section width than a MPSC or Pirelli Corsa R tire in 315 size. With some slight modifications you can fit a 265 on the front of a 930. Did you ever get a chance to try the revised sway bar setting I suggested to help with your understeer issue?

My C2 turbo body racecar has 10" front and 12" rear rims with factory bodywork.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:39 AM
purplehaze.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geoffrey,

I'd be game to go with 265's up front on the next set of tires.

Good memory. Yes, I did adjust the rear bar per your input, but only after the event. I'm not a fast enough wrench to risk missing track time. Up on the trailer was the easiest to access and adjust the settings.

Since then, I've gone with 450/650 springs and revalved Bilsteins. Feels firm but not harsh. Sorry it wasn't ready in time for Cups and Saucers. I heard you put on another incredible event. So, right now it has a suspension where I don't know how it will handle at the limits. Still looking for suitable exit ramps, etc to test.

I'll send you the recent dyno sheet. When you drove it, it was putting out only ~435 to the rear wheels, on the lower boost settings. I found that the 1st couple settings do the same thing as the upgraded spring. However, 1.2 yielded 485 rwhp. Newer turbos and Evo cams might be the ticket for more HP without turning up the boost. I don't want to hijack a good thread so I'll take it off line.

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 05-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll never be able to figure out the handling on the street since you won't be able to get the Hoosiers up to temp properly so you'll have to wait for a track day to test them. With the new spring rates, I'd go back to a more conservative sway bar setting to begin testing and setting up the car. Probably 1/2 to a little loose on the front, and second from the loosest in the rear. From there you can evaluate which end of the car is doing what and make adjustments accordingly. It was pushing real bad, hopefully you got the ride height set correctly with the right amount of rake as well as corner balanced and aligned.

Hopefully I'll see at the Zone 1 event June 23-25 at Watkins Glen
Old 05-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Garen
Instructor

Here's mine with 255/40's on 17x9 F & 315/35's on 17x11 R. The wheels are CCW Classic streets, with black anodized centers and brushed, clear anodized outers. No rubbing, and no rear spacers.

-Garen
Old 05-26-2006, 02:36 PM
purplehaze.
Racer

Thanks for confirming what I thought; you really can't simulate track handling on the street.

I'll follow your advice on resetting the bars. Thanks. Practice on the adjustments will help me do it faster while at the tracks.

Dan did the ride height, corner balancing, etc. However, it's at least 1/2" higher than before. Just noticed I can now slip in a finger between the top of the tires and the fenders. Before, the finger went up to reach the top of the tire. Too high?

I'm at WGI June 26-27th, but may go early just to get you to accompany.

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 05-26-2006, 02:41 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Car looks sweet Garen. Did you go with Kumhos on front and rears? What tires have you had the best experience with on the 9's/11's?
Old 05-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Garen
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimculp
Car looks sweet Garen. Did you go with Kumhos on front and rears? What tires have you had the best experience with on the 9's/11's?

Thanks. This wheel/tire combo is fairly new to me. I purchased them last year. I have not run any other tire, just the Kumho Victoracers you see in the pics (F & R). The car isn't used as a daily driver, so I keep her on the R compunds at all times. Absolutely love the performance advantage on the track. The fat tires help keep the car a bit more balanced.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:19 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garen
Thanks. This wheel/tire combo is fairly new to me. I purchased them last year. I have not run any other tire, just the Kumho Victoracers you see in the pics (F & R). The car isn't used as a daily driver, so I keep her on the R compunds at all times. Absolutely love the performance advantage on the track. The fat tires help keep the car a bit more balanced.
What have you done to the suspension if you don't mind? Looks like you're not running much camber on the rears.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Garen
Instructor

Here's what it's got so far:

22mm F 30mm R Sander torsion bars, revalved bilsteins, adjustable anti-roll bars (I switched to a through-body style for the front), upgraded rear anti-roll bar mounts (wevo) - All of the above pieces were purchased from Smart Racing Products, and came as a complete package. Smart Racing also specified the rates for revalving the shocks ---. AJ racing brake cooling hats behind the front rotors with custom scoops I made to replace the stock fog lamps.

Here's what I would like to add:

Elephant Racing bushings all around, Smart Racing upper strut mounts for more camber and CF strut brace, Elephant Racing dual oil cooler kit.

-Garen
Old 05-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Garen
Instructor

Oh, almost forgot... I also need some adjustable rear spring plates. As for camber, I think the last time we set the car up we ended up with -1.8 R and -1.5 F. I need to give the car more camber, and probably also stiffen the anti-roll bars, since I get more wear on the outside edge of all 4 tires. I'm off to the track this weekend, and will try to play with tire pressures and anti-roll bar settings.

-Garen
Old 05-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great Garen! Thanks for the pics guys.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Garen
Instructor

Thanks...
Old 05-26-2006, 04:59 PM
ZX3tuning
Instructor

Garen,
great looking wheel! Great looking car too!
do you happen to know what the offset and back spacing is on those?
How much dish do you have in the rear?
do you have the space for the extra .5" combind if you cut a little extra the caliper padding off the rear and shifted the back spacing in a bit more?

With our Black Cabbie, we were thinking Kinesis K18Rs with the polished reverse drop lips and brush gold or bronze anodized centers. i think it would be a bold yet tastefull option for this car... not real big on the idea of a full polished wheel but still want to add some jump the the look of the car.

Odellconsult,
have you had any issues with alignment settings with the 1/4" spacer on one side? did you need to adjust the lines AND use the spacer or would just using the spacer in the first place have been enough?

I keep saying it but i'm very new to these cars and this platform and there are not really any local guys around here who know the 930 very well so i'm sorta stuck getting my info from the forums.

So thanks again for all the help and keep the info coming!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:16 PM
purplehaze.
Racer

Mitch -

No issues with alignment. Those 1/4" spacers did the trick solo, as I hardly budged those oil lines. It was just rubbing, so you don't need to move it much. Just enough so you don't share your oil with those behind you.

Garen -

From where did you get your center caps? They complete the wheels nicely.

Glenn
Old 05-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Fast82930
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run 9.5 and 11 x 17 Fikse's with 275 / 315 Hoosiers. No spacers and all fenders have been rolled. The fronts only rub if you crank the wheel to full lock but it's never a problem on the track.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Widest possible rear rim/tire combo?